Viva Summary sheet? (1 Viewer)

emeraleyed

HSC
summary sheet

my teacher told me the other day to prepare a one page summary sheet of what your going to discuss. you know how you have orals and can only have point form on your cue cards, sorta like that, or with a power point presentation, you outline on the power point what you'll be discussing. sort of like this;
just say your discussing rock music;
* where rock originated from
* key figure of rock music (musicians)
* how rock music has influenced people of today
* where rock has lead to today
* famous rock bands

and so forth, you can elaboarte on it, but try and keep it simple because you dont want the examiners looking at your sheet rather than listening to you.

goodluck for it!!

wigzell_king

HSC
kristy, i'm so glad you're my friend
how come i never heard this
friends i am fucked for VIVAS

BLACKBIRD.whs

HSC
ohhhhhh ya. well i lost my summary sheet, cant remember my hypothesis, its on oriental music and my trials are in........16 hours. wish me luck lmfao

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
Bump.

Is there any kind of formal structure for the summary sheet, though? Do they hand you something on the day with sub-headings like.

Topic: 20th and 21st Century.
Viva: How the bass is used in progressive rock.
Example 1: Dream Theater- Metropolis. Duration, D + ET.
Example 2: Porcupine Tree - Chloroform. Structure, Tone Colour.
Summary: The bass is used in Prog Rock to enhance blah blah blah...

Or do you just have to write up a 1-page summary on the computer yourself?

Edit: This was an old one. Sorry. It was on the first page, I thought I could just use it instead of starting a new thread. Nevermind.

lixt07

HSC
What we've been told is to do pretty much what you've done... Oh, write it up yourself, one copy for you, one copy for the examiner. That's all you're allowed to take in, the two sheets plus the CD. And you should DEFINATELY have it on CD, no ipods, no tapes, no mini-disks. And make sure that ithe songs are burned in .wma format, or else the CD won't play on a standard CD player unless it plays MP3 disks, and that's a risk i'd rather not take.... .wma's play fine on MP3 enabled CD players.

EG

Topic: Music for Film Television and Radio
Area: Music of Danny Elfman
Excepts: Introduction-Sleepy Hollow
Spidey Suite-Spiderman
Edward Scissorhands Theme-Edward Scissorhands

and that's all...

but my teacher is highly confused at the best of times, and i think that a summary at the end is necessary as well. Just talk to your teacher

(even if you have ipod speakers, they're not a good idea, it's best to stick to using what they've supplied, a cd player, and it could get the examiners a little annoyed. And cds are much more reliable than ipods, I find, if they're taken care of properly)

kimmey05

HSC
What i've been told is what yous have done, and my teacher recommends you have scores too, helps coz it makes you look like you put some effort in lol.

And since the summary is sheet is what they keep when you leave, put worthwhile things on your summary sheets, u know - sophisticated stuff, so put your context on there, facts and people, links between your excerpts and the topic, and not just analysis of the excerpt like you do in the aural, and "mini conclusions" on there to tie everything together.

If you do a specific composer; than give a summary of his distinguishing techniques and characteristics, cause they sometimes ask "is this typical of his style?" and if you duno what to say than, it kinda shows shallow investigation into your viva.

and most importantly, make sure your handwriting is legible, it'l have a good impression on the examiners, and hopefully they wont drill you too hard then

McLovin

HSC
The idea is to make key points and to elaborate on them.
I did mine on Mike Portnoy and his use of time signature changes and his technique.

Use clear examples at least 3 for each point.
Then back it up with sub topics such as note values and dynamics.
18.5/20 it got me.
Not bad for a day before job.

eliasandchappo

HSC
i got alot on my hands

topic: Soloing techniques used by electric guitarist Slash'
exerpts include: sweet child of mine solo, november rain solo, paradise city solo, and more..
i have 10 solos max (though ive recorded about 20) so hard to choose between his velvet revolver and guns n roses solos.
concept: pitch, duration and tonality.
hopefully the makers arent so harsh this year.

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
i was going to ask before, but my question has already pretty much been answered...
but still.
i just wanted to know,
is everyone else not aloowed to have like what they are going to talk about in their VIVA in front of them, like on cure cards, or is it just me? my homosexual teacher makes me do everything by memeory, i am only allowed to have my score infornt of me and then he keeps the summary sheet to himself.
this is going to be really difficult for my next viva in two weeks, cause i have a fair bit to remember, well its not alot but just alot of deep info.
so yep.
thats my big rant and bitch about it all.

GET FREE

HSC
Er, also, is supposed to be typed?
As in, can we scribble it out by hand on the official summary sheet?

Same goes with our own page of notes?

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
well my teacher is dumb and the last vova i did he forgot to bring them in so i had to hand in my typed up stuff. and he said it was perfect.
so ummm if u are handed a summary sheet just hand-write it.
hopefully that will be good enough

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)