Vocabulary! (1 Viewer)

Failure_123

HSC
Hey, i don't know about you guys but my vocabulary is really limited and i definitely feel that i need to develop it considerably. So my question is, does anyone have a particular method (yes, it may sound funny) that they use to expand their vocabulary? I mean, i try to read a lot books and articles however every time it comes to an essay, i can't seem to put it on the paper.

Thanks in advance.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Or you could check out the essays of someone who writes really well (like a top ranking student in your class) and attempt to structure your essay in such a way. This could also introduce you to more effective vocabulary and you can get used to how it is applied in context.

Hope I helped.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
If you have the time and patience, the way my father helped me develop my vocabulary was to do crosswords - quick or cryptic, either will do it. Doing crosswords regularly you are looking up a thesaurus all the time and putting into practice straight away the words you look up.

It really does work!

Kittikhun

HSC
I find that buying a dictionary and reading 'National Geographic' or 'Time' helps. Try reading all the wanky stuff that interests you and use the study technique of putting the book down and saying aloud the newly discovered word.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's one of things you just have to give time for. You can't expect to instantly increase your vocab.

Definitely read more. The more text you can get a hold of, the better. Try different forms, you'll find the writing style varies dramatically.

Also, write more. Set yourself a task, and write about it. It may be an essay, or it may be just documenting everything around you for an hour. Then look back over it, and see where you language needs work. Thesaurus' are good here.

Listen to those with large vocabulary's. Watch the news, and keep up to date on what's going on. It will increase both your vocab and your worldly understanding.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
mine is limited too

so what I do is whenever i have to write an essay or creative piece, I have a book like the Hobbit in front of me and I look for good words/sentences to use and I copy them onto my work.

and then after a while, the words come natrally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)