voice recorders illegal? (1 Viewer)

matt88m

HSC
N/A
In class I was taping the class onto my mp3 player, thought it would be a good idea, and the teacher tells me i'm not allowed to as the BOS or whoever doesnt allow it?

HSC
N/A
I've thought about doing this..... simply because when we might have a long 'lecture' type lesson, I seem to forget a lot.... and always wish I could remember everything that was said.

I think it's a good idea, as long as your teacher isn't weird about it.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Your teacher must be weird then. :D
No offense =]

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
it's not illegal if they don't know about it. I tape-recorded my friend's english lessons for 3 terms, you just leave it in your bag after clicking Record. Isn't rocket science =)

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
once recorded my chemistry lesson...
felt weird though cause i was using my mini disc player to record.. and I left it right on my desk!!! but then again, who'd think that earphones also serve as a mic :D :D :D

helper

HSC
N/A
It can be declared illegal under the Surveillance and the Listening Devices Act 1984 (NSW).
However, most teachers, would be happy for you to record the lesson, if the purpose is just to obtain notes. If it is for other purposes, then they may object. If they do object, then you do not have the right to record it.

So it comes down to building a relationship up with the teacher.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
playboy2njoy said:
Not illegal. University students do it all the time.
Lol, my cousin says her friend just records the lessons at uni, sleeps through them and listens to them at home :D

critiek

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Not illegal. University students do it all the time.
You'll note that he is not in University and the two institutions are completely different

Mr.Bark

what the hell...
HSC
ive always thought of electronic voice recording as a means of data transferal and information retention ever since yr 9 when I questioned the need for teachers since learning a subject that yr without the assistance of institutional guidance...wouldn’t it better if we didn’t have to sit in a classroom with a teacher and just listened to sound bytes of material say posted online...wouldn’t it be great…classrooms would be rendered superfluous...we would all be receiving the same information on coursework it would be all standardized...i thought this idea was very similar to handing out notes but could capture all the aspects of the teaching process you lose with printed material and since some people learn from ‘listening’ rather than ‘reading’ this would be a great idea...you could also skip rambling : D maybe you could even podcast it and take it say when your going running or to the supermarket or anywhere really. but then i thought more about the complexities this would entail how the rift between socio-economic classes would widen with the spreading of such technologies...some people might not be able to afford these 'lessons' but some schools have ultimate facilities already anyway with each kid having their own pc...so how is this going to deeply impact any trend in socio-economic disparity which is in the pipeline and in society already, some students already receive advantages such as tuition, parental guidance, printed supplementation (study guides) and the what not only available to certain demographics.
privacy infringement laws would be not considered if lessons were 'made' for recording; teachers would be succinct to the point and discuss only relevant material. but then how can active inquiry take place? but then how can i go through stages of 'active learning' how would a system allow for queries to be addressed? maybe students could make a list of questions of importance and have them addressed on a personal basis rather than taking up the classes time...but then how much time do the information agents have to answer these questions will this system be economically viable, what if 50 people have the same query? FAQ maybe? Or the answers maybe could be integrated in the ‘epilogue’ of the ‘lesson’?
the whole issue of electronic voice recording is very exciting for me, and with the advent of micro sized voice recorders and the increasing efficiency and variety of teaching methods we are sure to hear more about this in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)