Voluntary/work experience (law). (1 Viewer)

Camleigh

HSC
Hi,
I'm a second year law student desperately seeking work experience or voluntary work (in Melbourne). I was wondering if anyone knew reputable places that are likely to accept me, and have flexible requirements (to fit around the university schedule)?

Any general advice on the matter of work experience would also be much appreciated.

Another quick question-Doing a week here and there of work experience (high school style!) at firms: Does that count towards making a strong resume? When I am applying for a clerkship in my penultimate year, will the firm count that as valid experience?

I'm really worried that I will never get a seasonal clerkship!

avant

HSC
Hi,
I'm a second year law student desperately seeking work experience or voluntary work (in Melbourne). I was wondering if anyone knew reputable places that are likely to accept me, and have flexible requirements (to fit around the university schedule)?

Any general advice on the matter of work experience would also be much appreciated.

Another quick question-Doing a week here and there of work experience (high school style!) at firms: Does that count towards making a strong resume? When I am applying for a clerkship in my penultimate year, will the firm count that as valid experience?

I'm really worried that I will never get a seasonal clerkship!
seasonal clerkships mostly depend on your marks, interview skills and your extra-curriculars/part-time job. in terms of the latter, if you want volunteer work, best thing to do is to apply to any of the numerous community legal centres around, or try a similar organisaiton like, victorian aboriginal legal service, disability rights victoria, monash's family law assistance programme, social security rights victoria, consumer affairs, refugee legal service etc. they are all looking for volunteers. it is very difficult to find one straight away; however, you should be put on a few waiting lists and within 6 months or so a position might open up.

your uni may also have a volunteer placement/internship program.

you can try applying to boutique firms to do unpaid internships. some will take you on.

your uni might have a barrister's assistant research scheme too. another good volunteer opportunity. or, try applying for PILCH - though it's very selective.

Another thing to help with seasonal applications is to do mooting or witness examination - good results look good on the CV.

Numerous Melbourne firms such as Slater & Gordon, Maurice Blackburn, DBA Butler, Herbert Geer etc. offer paralegal roles for casual work. Good experience and a way towards getting seasonals. I'm sure there are more firms than that but those are just a few off the top of my head that I or my friends have been to.

Camleigh

HSC
seasonal clerkships mostly depend on your marks, interview skills and your extra-curriculars/part-time job. in terms of the latter, if you want volunteer work, best thing to do is to apply to any of the numerous community legal centres around, or try a similar organisaiton like, victorian aboriginal legal service, disability rights victoria, monash's family law assistance programme, social security rights victoria, consumer affairs, refugee legal service etc. they are all looking for volunteers. it is very difficult to find one straight away; however, you should be put on a few waiting lists and within 6 months or so a position might open up.

your uni may also have a volunteer placement/internship program.

you can try applying to boutique firms to do unpaid internships. some will take you on.

your uni might have a barrister's assistant research scheme too. another good volunteer opportunity. or, try applying for PILCH - though it's very selective.

Another thing to help with seasonal applications is to do mooting or witness examination - good results look good on the CV.

Numerous Melbourne firms such as Slater & Gordon, Maurice Blackburn, DBA Butler, Herbert Geer etc. offer paralegal roles for casual work. Good experience and a way towards getting seasonals. I'm sure there are more firms than that but those are just a few off the top of my head that I or my friends have been to.
Thanks. This is really helpful! Anyone else out there who agrees, has any stories to tell, or has anything extra to add?

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Thanks. This is really helpful! Anyone else out there who agrees, has any stories to tell, or has anything extra to add?
Ask around. Chances are, someone you know will be a barrister's assistant or a paralegal. They'll know when the firms or individuals they work for need more people. Positions tend not to be widely advertised, or advertised at all in some cases.

Camleigh

HSC
Ask around. Chances are, someone you know will be a barrister's assistant or a paralegal. They'll know when the firms or individuals they work for need more people. Positions tend not to be widely advertised, or advertised at all in some cases.
Thanks, still all helpful stuff!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)