wanting to do higher maths 1A (1 Viewer)

a-n-d-r-e-w

HSC
Hey i am doing mechanical engineering this year and am currently enrolled in higher maths 1A. I have a very strong interest in maths and thoroughly enjoyed 3 and 4 unit maths. i went onto the course online adviser and did the test and didnt have any trouble with the questions and it advised me to do higher maths 1A.......HOWEVER!.... my combined ext1 and 2 marks were 169, which is obviously not the combined mark of 175 expected. In the UNSW welcome pack it says it is easier to transfer from higher maths down to maths but harder to go the other way. Will i be on struggle street throughout the whole course or will it be quite manageable if the interest nd effort is there. URGENT and any advice is greatly appreciated. BTW i am asking this because i got an email to my unimail saying i should consider changing.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
hi there

i did higher maths 1a and higher maths 1b (i can't remember what my combined hsc mark was) but in the end i kind of regretted my choice.

it's not that the exams are much harder (two-thirds of the exam is the same as normal maths), but the course is taught differently -- you spend a lot more time doing proofs for formulas, rather than just being given the formulas. this meant there was a lot of pure maths, which i didn't enjoy that much

if i wanted lots of pure maths, i'd be doing a maths degree - not engineering :)

having said that, i know quite a few engineering students who are pretty passionate about maths and so really got a lot out of higher maths. but if you're like me, and are pretty much in it just to get the marks and then move onto some real engineering, then just take the easy option and do normal maths

so just work out how much you really care about maths and then base your decision off that. hsc marks are pretty irrelevant if you haven't got the motivation to work hard at it imo.

there is nothing degrading about taking the easier option -- remember you're an engineering student!!

LordPc

HSC
I'd say try Higher maths since I think you can drop down in the first couple of weeks if you find it too hard anyway. This way you will know for sure that higher maths was an error

But I've also heard that the standard maths course is challenging in itself

a-n-d-r-e-w

HSC
tanks for the replies guys. Is there anyone out there who has been in my situation, who did the higher maths and were really passionate about the maths yet didnt quite have the expected marks to take the course, and how did u find the course e.g. too hard, difficult, manageable/doable, easy

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
my hsc math marks: ext1 89, ext2 75

higher math 1a: 84
higher math 1b: 83

I have a bit of interest in math and took a chance at higher. It worked out fine :)

I didn't find it too hard since I found most of it interesting.

Last edited:

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
tanks for the replies guys. Is there anyone out there who has been in my situation, who did the higher maths and were really passionate about the maths yet didnt quite have the expected marks to take the course, and how did u find the course e.g. too hard, difficult, manageable/doable, easy
For all Uni courses : You study hard and understand whats going on, you get good marks.

Its really that simple

a-n-d-r-e-w

HSC
ok cool. This was the email i received to my unimail

Dear Student,

you are currently enrolled in MATH1141 which has assumed knowledge of NSW Ext
1 and Ext2 Mathematics. The assumed performance level is a combined Ext1 and
Ext2 mark of at least 175/200.

You do NOT have this assumed knowledge and I urge you in the strongest
possible terms to withdraw NOW from MATH1141 and enroll in MATH1131 instead.

Trying MATH1141 for a week or two is NOT a good option and when you do realise
that you need to change to MATH1131 your timetable could become very bad.

Note that MATH1141 is not compulsory in your degree program and getting your
enrolment correct now will make your study more productive from the start of
semester.

LordPc

HSC
Why dont you email someone from the school of maths and ask them, cause that email didnt seem to explain very much

And can someone explain the difference between Maths and Higher maths?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Higher math uses the same material as math 1a, except you are given extra stuff to learn (have to attend an extra lecture for that too). You also have to do [x] rated questions which go beyond the standard math demonstrated in math 1a.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
ok cool. This was the email i received to my unimail

Dear Student,

you are currently enrolled in MATH1141 which has assumed knowledge of NSW Ext
1 and Ext2 Mathematics. The assumed performance level is a combined Ext1 and
Ext2 mark of at least 175/200.

You do NOT have this assumed knowledge and I urge you in the strongest
possible terms to withdraw NOW from MATH1141 and enroll in MATH1131 instead.

Trying MATH1141 for a week or two is NOT a good option and when you do realise
that you need to change to MATH1131 your timetable could become very bad.

Note that MATH1141 is not compulsory in your degree program and getting your
enrolment correct now will make your study more productive from the start of
semester.
Biggest crock of shit ever. If you have a passion for math, take higher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)