Ways to get a course if desired ATAR has not been achieved? (1 Viewer)

pheezy2eazy

HSC
Just want people's opinions. During the midst of year 11, I had finally chosen my final goal on what I want to be. Keep in mind the subjects I was doing last year were:

English (Standard)
Maths (General)
PDHPE
Software Design
IT VET
Studies of Religion

After a hell of a year in Software I decided to drop it because I couldn't take the work I was doing. Learning about coding was not the one for me. The subject I most favored was PDHPE. I also started going to the gym last year, which further influenced me to take a pathway into Health and Fitness.

As of 2015 I am doing:

English (Standard)
Maths (General)
PDHPE
IT VET
Studies of Religion (2)

After coming across this site it made me so motivated to study, but I was already half way through my HSC year. My ranks in my subjects aren't really great, but I do have a couple more assessments, the trial and HSC exams remaining, and I am working ferociously to achieve a higher ATAR.

NOW, my question is, I want to do Applied Science in Exercise and Sports Science, with a Masters in Nutrition and Dietetics. The course is on the Usyd site and is an ATAR of 98. There is also an Applied Science in Exercise and Sports Science without the Masters degree, which is an ATAR of 88.

Considering that I don't get the desired ATAR, what are the ways I can eventually get into studying that course. I am focused on bringing up my ATAR in order to maybe make it easier, but in the end, no matter how long it takes, I would want to do that course. I have yet to talk to my careers adviser on pathways to the course, just wondering if anyone has had experience on getting into a course when they didn't achieve the preferred ATAR.

Soz for the long paragraph
Cheers in advanced

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
just get the atar, you still have half the year. A transfer is from uni to uni, like applying for a different uni course, e.g. UTS --> UNSW, it is based of your performance through the course.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Could you please explain what that is if you can?
It's when you "transfer" from one degree at the university you currently are at to another degree at some university (it can be the same university or a different one).

Flop21

HSC
I made a thread similar a little while ago.

Internal transfer is apparently like 6 months. You do some course in the uni you want to ultimately be at for 6 months then transfer into the course you want (if you get good results I guess).

External is where you go to a different university with a lower ATAR requirement - then after a year you transfer over to the uni and course you want.

Not sure if this is correct, just going off memory.

Silly Sausage

HSC
I made a thread similar a little while ago.

Internal transfer is apparently like 6 months. You do some course in the uni you want to ultimately be at for 6 months then transfer into the course you want (if you get good results I guess).

External is where you go to a different university with a lower ATAR requirement - then after a year you transfer over to the uni and course you want.

Not sure if this is correct, just going off memory.

For most unis (including USYD) internal transfers that take into account your uni marks are only after one year of full time study.

StudyToDeath

HSC
Those courses you listed above are highly competitive, if your ATAR isn't close to the cut off, I think you would struggle to do the course work.

Silly Sausage

HSC
Those courses you listed above are highly competitive, if your ATAR isn't close to the cut off, I think you would struggle to do the course work.
A high atar/competition to get in doesn't necessarily correspond to course difficulty

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
A high atar/competition to get in doesn't necessarily correspond to course difficulty
yup it only means there are less spots in the course

More spots -> Lower Atar cut off
Less spots -> Higher Atar cut off

pheezy2eazy

HSC
Thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah I kind of stuffed up, and I didn't really know what I wanted to do till like year 12 so yeah haha

Sounds like the simplest way to get into the course is what everyone is saying internal/external transfer, and I have spoken to a friend who is in Uni already so I probably have a general idea.

One more thing, people talk about a foundation course or something like that? or from Tafe > Uni? Anyone know anything about this?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
foundation program is like 12k a year i think and it's very people with lowish atars. I know UNSW it's at least 70 and if you do well you get to go into your desired course.

pheezy2eazy

HSC
Hm that's the plan then. Better to just study hard rather than spend 12k haha. Thanks guys

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Or wait till you're 21 and become a mature age student and undertake the university preparation plan which is free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)