Ways to get into vet science that don't involve an atar? (1 Viewer)

roisinyyyy

HSC
Hi :)
Just wondering, I'm sitting my HSC this year and don't think i'll make the 95+ ATAR range. My estimate is hopefully around 85, which I know is too low to apply for any vet science courses at any uni's in Australia. I have wanted to be a vet all my life, and I can't see myself doing anything else. How else can I get in?
I was going to do a Bach of Science and transfer in, as my fallout this year is Advanced Maths, which won't get me a very high score. I do Chem, Bio, Senior Science, Adv English and Adv maths.
Any help would be amazing! :hug2:

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi :) I'd apply for the undergraduate courses anyway - just see how you go. If that doesn't work out then transferring is another way. Or you could always complete your undergraduate degree and apply for a graduate school. I know Melbourne offers this and I think there'd probably be others. It looks as though CSU also accepts people who have already graduated. Have a look at the USyd website, it looks as though they're introducing a graduate program too and changing the whole structure - http://sydney.edu.au/vetscience/

Have a look at the websites of all the universities that offer it and do a bit of research on their admissions. Speaking to a course adviser might also be helpful. There are many ways of going about it. Good luck! :)

mariannebags

HSC
N/A
Definitely do a science degree and hopefully try to get into a Sydney uni or another one that does vet. My cousin was at UWS and tried to transfer in second year but Sydney uni wouldn't accept her even though they implied they would if she got distinctions etc. In the end, she finished her degree and became a vet as a mature age student, which is definitely an option. Obviously, you'd major in a biology subject, I think she did microbiology although I would have thought zoology would be a better choice. She thought she might like microbiology as a career when she didn't get into Vet.

coffee_

HSC
You haven't even started year 12! You never know, you may end up with an atar of 95! :p But UWS offers health science which you can do, then transfer into other unis.

Jewls

HSC
N/A
Adelaide, Melbourne, and Sydney are all post graduate so not really based on ATAR. You can also transfer into murdoch, UQ, and JCU after doing other degrees. Best if you can get at least 10 weeks of work experience in vet clinics to help your application. It is becoming easier to get into vet because three new uni's have opened in the last few years. Also the low wages and rising unemployment of vet graduates means that not as many are applying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)