Westpac Maths Competition (1 Viewer)

robot rabbit

HSC
Maths competitions, what could we do without them?

So how do you think you went, year 10?

I know my brain went mushy afterwards. I almost cried when i saw they added e. I missed my caculator badly during the comp.

What is up with the farmer question? And what is up with all the 2008s?

How many competitions are left in the year?

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
I am in yr12 and i must admit that was pretty hard. Yes, there were a lot of repetitions of 2008, must be their new theme for the year.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
They always make questions skewed to the year the Maths comp is in. Next year they'll have all these random 2009 Qs

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Better figure out the prime factorisation of 2009, then, hadn't you.

rolror88

HSC
N/A
Personally, I think this year's was the hardest so far. Got up to 20, the last 10 were ... hard is an understatement lol.

Huynsta.

HSC
Yeah it was hard. oh my god, I felt so crap when i got stuck on q8, the one with the 2 triangles, had a total mental blank. ><

Didnt even have time for the last 5q's.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
What did u guys put for the farmer question??

and how come i keep seeing people who post questions from the years 11 and 12 paper which are the same as the questions for the yr 9s and yr 10s paper.

The cool number's thing was stupid. i guessed it. :lol:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
dux&src said:
and how come i keep seeing people who post questions from the years 11 and 12 paper which are the same as the questions for the yr 9s and yr 10s paper.
The AMC tests usually like to mix all the years up, for example a question 27 in Junior could be a 21 in Intermediate and a 16 in Senior. Maybe its easier, maybe they like to see more figures, like how many high school students got that question right?

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
What did people get for the equalateral triangle question where the sides were cut into the ratio 1:2? I guessed and put 8 ?

What did you's get?

robot rabbit

HSC
I put moved water from the smaller tank to the bigger tank for the farmer question.

I put either 8 or a bit higher for the ratio question.

sarah13081234

HSC
dux&src said:
What did u guys put for the farmer question??

The cool number's thing was stupid. i guessed it. :lol:
the answer is 225.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
kurt.physics said:
What did people get for the equalateral triangle question where the sides were cut into the ratio 1:2? I guessed and put 8 ?

What did you's get?
The answer was definitely 12 for that one. option d)

I can't exactly remember how I got it but I was so sure. I need a picture of it to explain it lol. If it isn't 12 I will spaz.

I thought that whole test was way too hard and I was guessing a fair few.... Like all of them haha. They need to be a little easier... we aren't bloody genius'

dux&src

HSC
Aquawhite said:
The answer was definitely 12 for that one. option d)

I can't exactly remember how I got it but I was so sure. I need a picture of it to explain it lol. If it isn't 12 I will spaz.

I thought that whole test was way too hard and I was guessing a fair few.... Like all of them haha. They need to be a little easier... we aren't bloody genius'
What about the farmer question?

robot rabbit

HSC
Oh yes the farmer question. My friends and i were discussing what the answer could be and went in circles. Hopefully the answer isn't 'do nothing'

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I figured it out to how much they could get if u imagine saying x amount of rain falls in one hour. You needed to use alot of problem solving and algebra. I got soo pissed off with trying to add amounts and divide and compare that I eventually just resorted to putting e) do nothing. It looked the best on paper to leave it the way it was. If it isn't that then i had to pump 10 litres from the big roof place (farmhouse I think) into the little roof tank (barnhouse).

I really don't care anymore. It was way beyond anyone's skills to figure many of the questions out. I doubt I will get anymore than 15 right.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
robot rabbit said:
Oh yes the farmer question. My friends and i were discussing what the answer could be and went in circles. Hopefully the answer isn't 'do nothing'
For that question, i looked at it, looked at it again, then i though, this question takes up half the page, im to lazy to even read, let alone attempt answering this question. So i just randomly coloured in one of the dots and went on.

dux&src

HSC
Aquawhite said:
I figured it out to how much they could get if u imagine saying x amount of rain falls in one hour. You needed to use alot of problem solving and algebra. I got soo pissed off with trying to add amounts and divide and compare that I eventually just resorted to putting e) do nothing. It looked the best on paper to leave it the way it was. If it isn't that then i had to pump 10 litres from the big roof place (farmhouse I think) into the little roof tank (barnhouse).

I really don't care anymore. It was way beyond anyone's skills to figure many of the questions out. I doubt I will get anymore than 15 right.
Oh good, do nothing lol.

for that question i did nothing, i couldn't bother with it. It took ages, so i literally did nothing for that question and put "e)do nothing"

hi5 brother we have the same answer

hopefully a 4th straight D/HD
how bad it would be for me to get credit:(

robot rabbit

HSC
I just don't want to look at the answer sheet and find out i got 0.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Hahaha. I never get distinctions lol. I always go really bad... well not really bad but a low/medium credit, which I suppose it okay considering the difficulty of the test! I can tell that I got soo much wrong and I had trouble using my head for factors, dividing, prime numbers (not too bad lol) etc.

GAYEST TEST EVER!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)