WH-Essay feedback (1 Viewer)

LostAuzzie

HSC
This is my generic essay just on How WH is recieved by the many critics etc I would appreciate some advice on what I might be able to add to the points im writing about as it currently comes to 700 words in 35min
Your help would be much appreciated

Wuthering Heights by Emile Bronte can be received by a variety of different critical readers for a variety of different reasons. Marxists such as T.Eagleton and R.Coggins receive it for its portrayal of struggle against oppression. Psychoanalytical Critics such as Linda Gold value its reflection on the workings of the mind. Lord Cecil values Bronte’s use of contrast analysing it through his calm-storm theory of opposing forces. These critical readings shape an understanding of Wuthering Heights and its characters which would have otherwise gone unseen.

Heathcliff’s story begins with his entrance into the Earnshaw family. Psychoanalytical, Freudian critic Linda Gold see’s Heathcliff as representative of the id of Freudian interpretations. He is dark, wild and primitive in nature. Mr Earnshaw’s first impression of him “As dark almost as if it came from the devil” shows how even he, Heathcliff’s only ally at this point, cannot look past Heathcliff’s evil nature. The use of ‘it’ here shows how the majority of Wuthering Height’s inhabitants thought of him, as an animal. This belief is further emphasised when Catherine and Hindley “entirely refuse to have it in bed with them” and Nelly being told to “wash it and give it clean things.” It can be seen in this way that Heathcliff was initially unwelcome in the Earnshaw Residence. The death of Mr Earnshaw sparked Hindley’s tyranny, over Heathcliff especially. This tyranny goes against the principle Marxist belief in a ‘classless society’ and only served to spur Heathcliff’s revenge.

A key scene in the novel is Catherine’s betrayal, the final event leading to Heathcliff’s subsequent revenge. The love of Catherine and Heathcliff is forbidden by Victorian social standards because Catherine is of the middle class while Heathcliff is of lower class. But as Lord Cecil says “Catherine loves Heathcliff because as children of the storm they are bound by their similar natures” Trying to convince Nelly of her situation she says “if Heathcliff and I married we should be beggars…If I marry Linton I can aid Heathcliff to rise.” Marxists would applaud Catherine’s use of her power to aid a lower class citizen to rise to equality while feminists see Catherine’s decision as only needing to concern her and not Heathcliff. When she continues with “I am Heathcliff” she is emphasising the bond they share as two beings of one entity. This bond is seen by Psychoanalytical critics as ‘beyond normal’. The end of this scene begins Heathcliff’s three years unexplained absence which adds to him being the id of Freudian interpretations.

Upon Heathcliff’s return, his revenge begins. Heathcliff’s revenge provides the structural framework to the novel and is destructive for both perpetrator and victim. Marxists such as T.Eagleton and R.Coggins see Heathcliff as “representative of the discontented working class rising in rebellion against an oppressive society” They see Wuthering Heights as representative of its time, a time of change, political reform and the industrial revolution. Marxists applaud Heathcliff’s use of tools and methods of the rich to displace the rich. There applaud stops however, at the point where Heathcliff abuses his powers to form those around him into slaves.

Lord Cecil proposed the calm-storm theory of opposing forces, utilizing Bronte’s contrasts. He sees Wuthering Heights, the castle of Gothic literature, as the storm of his theory. Its inhabitants are highly charged with emotions of hatred, cruelty and savage love. Lockwood originally describes the name Wuthering as “reflective of the atmospheric tumult to which its station is exposed.” Wuthering Heights is set high above the windy moors and its inhabitants are often described with the use of animal imagery, especially Heathcliff. One such example is “‘you’d better let the dogs alone’ growled Heathcliff” where the way Heathcliff speaks is compared to the sound made by an animal. The opposing force to Wuthering Heights is Thrushcross Grange, the calm, settled in the valley and residence of the genteel Lintons. The recurring motif of the moors forms the barrier between these two opposing forces, it represents a place of escape from the oppression over Catherine and Heathcliff, a place where they can run wild.

Wuthering Heights has been received by a variety of critics from different schools of thought in a variety of ways, and for a variety of reasons. Without these critical readings many of the underlying principles and themes would go unrecognised.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)