What about ANU? (1 Viewer)

Dedalia

HSC
N/A
Hello, My name is Eva, I'm italian and I applied to ANU and to University of Sydney in order to join a Master in Art History.
ANU accepted my application, Sydney University wanted me to have a 4 years degree because the Australian government doesn't recognize my degree as a bachelor degree...
Anyway...it souded strange to me that to one university my degree was fine and to the other my degree wasn't acceptable for australian standards!
I wanted to know something about ANU University. I already accepted their offer and I'll start my master on the 1st semester.
do you think I picked up a good University?
do you have any suggestions???
thank you for every advice
Eva

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here.....

I think the ANUs a good university.....

Dedalia

HSC
N/A
loquasagacious said:
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here.....

I think the ANUs a good university.....
Yes I apologize...I haven't been clear!
In Italy universities are really different, we have no campuses and it's hard to imagine how life is going to be there.
I don't know how lessons are held and how many people study there
I found out about this University just looking on internet but I don't know about how it actually is...I'm trying to figure it out but...mine it's just imagination...I'd like to know...how it is( I know it's quite hard) students impressions for example...
I'd also like to understand why Sydney University needed more and more documentation and finally didn't accept me because my 3 years italian degree is not recognized in Australia even though to ANU was fine enough to send me an offer letter straight away...
I'd like to know about the Art History Department and....ANYTHING that might help me to...picture it
...I applied for 2 different accomodations Burgmann and Bruce...Bad or Good choice??????????

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
I think you'll find that most people here in australia regard ANU as a very good university. Only recently has demand for courses at ANU increased.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest I don't really know what makes ANU so special but I do know that it goes well when they compare different universities on a variety of criteria- but it all comes down to what you want to study, and what you want in your university experience. For someone like me, campus is very unimportant since half my time I won't be at the uni- or it'll just be dark (as I will be working full time, studying at night); what mattered to me was that it had decent transport and eating places nearby.

I'm sure you'll enjoy ANU- based on what I've heard, people who go there tend to come out quite happy after enjoying the university experience. =]

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Ok that helps narrow it down abit.

The ANU has one of the largest campusses in Australia and is generally pretty nice. In terms of comparisons, I find it to be somewhat similar to the oxford/cambridge universities.

The study is conducted on a lecture basis eg a course typically consists of two or three lectures per week (depending on the faculty eg economics is three, arts is two) and a tutorial. The details for each course can be found in the undergrad handbook. Though as it seems you're doing a masters I'd expect it to be somewhat different.

As far as your problems with USYD go I have no idea why they knocked you back....

I can't help to much about art history but can be of a little more assistance on the accomodation. Bruce and Burgman both have a good rep - personally I'm not a fan of any catered option but thats a personal preference.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think you'll find for a masters degree ANU will be an excellent university. I think the main thing that makes ANU different is the ammount of federal funding/control?

Anyway, most of those international top universities lists place ANU in the top 20(i'd have to check) in the world so it's a pretty good uni.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Can u please elaborate a bit there Not-That-Bright about what you mean when you say 'amount of federal funding/control'? I don't mean any offence to ANU but I wonder why most people in my school tend to avoid ANU when considering universities; my guess is probably that it's geographically very far from us.

Dedalia

HSC
N/A
hi

hi, thank you for all your advices...
Burgmann and Bruce are cathered???I thought they were not!!!!!
I just came back from Prague (i've been there working)so I couldn't reply!
I'll be there by early February, I'm still wating for electronical confirmation in order to apply for a VISA.
so....See you soon!!!
I think I will enjoy this experience...I'm thinking about it every day :)

Caroline22

HSC
N/A
The main sections of Bruce and Burgmann are fully catered, however both also have 'post grad' sections (which, in the case of Bruce at least, also accepts later year undergraduate residents), which I presume you would have priority to enter since you will be studying a masters. Both of the post grad sections are self catered. Bruce has Packard wing which is mostly single rooms with ensuites and small kitchens (there are a few double rooms), and I believe Burgmann has something called 'the Street' (or similar) which I think is made up of shared apartments with maybe 3 or 5 people sharing an apartment (individual bedrooms, shared kitchen etc). I might be wrong about the number of people in each apartment though. I've never seen the Burgmann rooms, but I imagine they are good - they were only built recently. Packard wing at Bruce is also only a couple of years old, and I lived there last year and found it good. In my opinion, both Bruce and Burgmann are great colleges and you'll have a fantastic time whichever one you end up at.

You probably already knew all that, just thought I would clear up any confusion.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I've checked out the Burgmann apartments - they're actually quite nice.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I have heard vague rumblings that places in the self-catered/share rooms/apartments at bruce/burgman is only available to current/previous residents of the respective halls....

Dedalia

HSC
N/A
loquasagacious said:
I have heard vague rumblings that places in the self-catered/share rooms/apartments at bruce/burgman is only available to current/previous residents of the respective halls....
Really??? ehm...I just applied for those 2....if they refuse my application I'll have to find a place somewhere else....mh...I think I need to come pretty early if I need to find a place of my own...I know it's possible to apply only once....
what can I do???

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
loquasagacious said:
I know international students staying at the Burgmann apartments and I know of exchange students who stayed at Packard last semester. Perhaps they make exceptions for postgraduates from overseas?

However, this is from the ANU site regarding postgraduates - international or not

Applying for accommodation does not guarantee you a place. Be ready to make alternative arrangements in case you miss out.
So yes, you really should make alternative arrangements just in case you miss out. There's a list of shared housing and houses for rent in Canberra here:

http://accom.anu.edu.au/Accomm/Renting/db.php

More places to stay at are likely to be added as we get closer to the start of semester. Perhaps you could score a place before you come down here?

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I have heard that ANU is not as good for undergrad study, excellent for postgraduate study. So you're in luck :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cherryblossom said:
I have heard that ANU is not as good for undergrad study, excellent for postgraduate study. So you're in luck :)
Way to generalise :rolleyes:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cherryblossom said:
noo there is evidence around. Didn't they cut back funding?
To arts subjects besides philosophy, IR, politics and maybe languages. I haven't heard of any funding cuts to other subjects.

Last edited:

Dedalia

HSC
N/A
Yes I knew that in case I missed out I had to find an alternative place but when I read there were no opportunitis for new students to be accepted in those 2 places....i felt I had no chanches at all to get in the campus and have to find a place on my own 100%! I really hope I get in...we don't have campuses here, everything is so messy, my university is the largest in Italy 700 000 studnts, people coming from other countries or towns have to find a room in a flat, there is no University service and here for a double room they charge up to 300 euros!
You have to find out lessons and classes, in some classes we are so many that there's not enough room to sit for everybody so either we sit on a bench writing on the back of the person in front of you either you sit on the ground. Not enough room for students to study in the libraries, some teachers are really requested do they might not come to lesson, sometimes they are missing even in the meeting hour, over 50% of student give up and many graduate really late, most of the times teachers aren't informed of changes at university...it's a hell!!!!those one who finish must be very proud and really in love with their studies!!!
so...I'm really looking forward on changing reality!!!!

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
Dedalia said:
Yes I knew that in case I missed out I had to find an alternative place but when I read there were no opportunitis for new students to be accepted in those 2 places....i felt I had no chanches at all to get in the campus and have to find a place on my own 100%! I really hope I get in...we don't have campuses here, everything is so messy, my university is the largest in Italy 700 000 studnts, people coming from other countries or towns have to find a room in a flat, there is no University service and here for a double room they charge up to 300 euros!
You have to find out lessons and classes, in some classes we are so many that there's not enough room to sit for everybody so either we sit on a bench writing on the back of the person in front of you either you sit on the ground. Not enough room for students to study in the libraries, some teachers are really requested do they might not come to lesson, sometimes they are missing even in the meeting hour, over 50% of student give up and many graduate really late, most of the times teachers aren't informed of changes at university...it's a hell!!!!those one who finish must be very proud and really in love with their studies!!!
so...I'm really looking forward on changing reality!!!!
:eek: - That's really amazing.

Are you sure you're not talking about India? It reminds me of those packed buses and trains, with people cramped on top of the carriage.

Australian universities are much less populated. And despite the gronkx around here, ANU's a great uni.
Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)