What am I doing wrong? (1 Viewer)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Last night, I had my motherboard decide to send itself to the grave. Nothing too bad about that, right? Well, this is at least the third time this has occured. Always the motherboard, nothing else. I have CPUs, graphics cards, etc that are > 10 years old and still function, but always, my motherboards kill themselves. I checked my PSU and it's functioning fine. I went into MSY this morning, purchased a new mobo and everything's well and good.

Who else has the curse of the motherboard death?

* Edit: this one was only 8 months old or so. It'll still be under warranty but I have NFI where the warranty/receipt stuff is, I'll go digging but I actually need my computer atm so I had to buy one as I'm unable to wait for a replacement.

sunny

meh.
HSC
In the years I've been using computers (my own desktop computers at least), I've only ever had one hard disk die. Everyone around me seems to suffer constant hardware failure problems though.

Z66R2V

HSC
You might be having problems with power. If you have a really cheap power supply, you might be getting voltage drops and spikes which can cause caps to fail after a while.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Dumsum said:
Last night, I had my motherboard decide to send itself to the grave. Nothing too bad about that, right? Well, this is at least the third time this has occured. Always the motherboard, nothing else. I have CPUs, graphics cards, etc that are > 10 years old and still function, but always, my motherboards kill themselves. I checked my PSU and it's functioning fine. I went into MSY this morning, purchased a new mobo and everything's well and good.

Who else has the curse of the motherboard death?

* Edit: this one was only 8 months old or so. It'll still be under warranty but I have NFI where the warranty/receipt stuff is, I'll go digging but I actually need my computer atm so I had to buy one as I'm unable to wait for a replacement.
Just curious, what brand computer are we talking about?

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
s-AINT said:
Just curious, what brand computer are we talking about?
The computer I built myself. The dead motherboard is an Intel, I replaced it with a Gigabyte.

Z66R2V: as I said I'm pretty sure it's not the power. I checked the voltages and they're all well within 0.1v of what they're meant to (I've been told 0.1v difference is when to start getting worried). It's a 430w thermaltake that came with my case.

Last edited:

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
A motherboard has alot of little componets on it, as soon as one of them breaks, ur board is screwed. There is a higher chance of things screwing up on a motherboard then anything else in your computer.

Z66R2V

HSC
Power is one of those funny things. If your PSU goes crazy for just a second, it can cause a fair bit of damage. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with yours: they're just a common source of error.

Assuming you still have your old motherboard, can you see anything out of the ordinary? Leaking or swollen caps?

You could possibly just be really unlucky.

Acaanpca

HSC
This may seem a silly question but have you checked to make sure there is nothing shorting the motherboard out on the motherboard tray?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)