What am i doing wrong? :/ (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
I can't believe I'm getting this wrong. But what am I doing wrong?

this is the provided solution for resolving the forces of the past hsc Q (2011):

here is my working out:

lol I never have a problem with resolving forces, but I am getting opposite to the answer. :/

Thanks

xc1408

HSC
Hi there, where you have theta (for your normal component) should be 90-theta because its vertically opposite the angle in the lower triangle on the sphere. Not quite sure if this answers your question.

mreditor16

HSC
Hi there, where you have theta (for your normal component) should be 90-theta because its vertically opposite the angle in the lower triangle on the sphere. Not quite sure if this answers your question.
hmm that works :D

but I'm just confused about where I went wrong myself :/

did I assume something incorrectly lol?

xc1408

HSC
I also believe you have probably assumed that the normal force is 90 degrees to the plane, which is incorrect.

HSC
I'm not sureeee what you've done, but all you had to do was alternate angles for the theta in the bottom of the triangle and then vert opposite angles

IR

HSC
sarcasm so strong
I knew that was coming. That's why I clearly said 'srs' which meant it wasn't sarcasm. You have great talents and literally an all rounder and very helpful ofc to others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)