What Are Common Musicology Techniques found in Pop, Americana and CLassical Rock? (1 Viewer)

Twinkie_Me

HSC
I'm doing my musicology assignment where I have to discuss how the band 'Lifehouse' has borrowed a bunch of genres in order to diversify their music. They're known to have experimented with Americana, Kevin Rudolf, Pop and classical rock. I gotta tackle all the concepts such as Pitch and Tone Colour.

The problem is I'm new to music and didn't do music in year 8 and 9 and barely know all these things. I got really frustrated when I couldn't find any musicology to do with specific genres except pop and some rock.

My assignment is due at Monday and I really wanna impress my music teacher.

Please help this poor little boy! >_<

acemusic415

HSC
Since this part of the forum is quite inactive, I'll try to help out as much as possible. I don't know much about americana and classical rock, but I'll just throw some ideas concerning Pop and I hope it rings a bell.

In terms of musicological techniques found in Pop (if you want specifics) include:
Dynamics
-melisma (look at Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey who often employ vocal runs and riffs in their music).
Duration
- 4/4 timing: most pop music within the genre utilise this form of timing with 4 beats per bar.
- A lot of pop music include dotted rhythms in its melody.
- In terms of the percussion layer, its often syncopated (especially in mainstream music nowadays with house/dance like elements).
Tone Colour
- Use of percussion: most pop music nowadays incorporate a sense of percussion (doesn't necessarily have to be the drums).
Pitch
- Use of simple chord progressions as accompaniment: Most accompaniments (mainly the piano and guitar) are formed by basic chord progressions that act as harmony. For example, "Baby" by Justin Bieber uses four chords for the entire song: "E flat, Cm, A flat, B flat".

I don't know whether if this is relevant to you, but I hope this helps (in terms of pop).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)