what are modern day 'hip hop' fans coming to (1 Viewer)

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
Howard University - Yardfest 2005

By: John Kennedy

December 19, 2005

Vibe Advisory Board Member and Howard University alumni, John Kennedy, covers Howard's annual Yardfest, and tells us how rapper Ghostface got boo'ed, how Young Jeezy made the crowd "Go Crazy," and how gangsta Remy Ma really is.

Crowned with a black bandana to go with a black T-shirt and a sparkling half-gold, half-platinum Diplomats chain, Juelz Santana looked outwards from his backstage post to see a fully extended middle finger aimed in his direction. Immediately recognizing the owner of the finger as smiling Terror Squad sensation Remy Ma, he returned the gesture with a cocky half smile.

This was not a sign of a forthcoming feud between Dipset and TS, but merely a greeting of fellowship between two promising performers at Howard University's homecoming. The particular event was Yardfest, a free, annual concert that draws some of the biggest names in urban music to perform for students, alumni and visitors on the school's main quadrangle.

The audience endured damp conditions and a grey blanket of clouds the entire afternoon as they were entertained by the likes of Three 6 Mafia, Jazze Pha and Cee-Lo Green. Def Jam represented strong with headlining performances by Santana, Ghostface and closer Young Jeezy.

The audience had to wait nearly an hour to see a delayed Jeezy; nevertheless, he made the crowd "Go Crazy," performing hits from his album Thug Motivation 101. Santana evoked a similar response from the audience with his energetic performance of "Dipset (Santana's Town)" and newer heaters "Mic Check" and "There It Go (The Whistle Song)."

"I love Howard. Howard has one of the biggest homecomings ever, and every year I'll try and be here," said Santana, who also performed at Yardfest in 2003. "As long as I got the opportunity and they welcome me and I'm invited, I'll be here."

But Ghostface was not received as well as his Def Jam counterparts. Ghost's set featured his signature blend of old-school soul and classical hip hop, as he performed the Delfonics-sampled "Holla" as well as Wu-Tang favorite "Ice Cream" and his new single "Be Easy." Audience members booed as his set went on.

"They don't know me," Ghostface said after performing. "When I came out, back in the day, some of them were like seven [or] eight years old … These are kids I'm performing in front of. I'm 35 years old man."

Three 6 Mafia got crunk with their dark, bass-heavy tunes and Dem Franchise Boyz had the crowd seemingly bouncing in unison to their current smash "I Think They Like Me." Later, the audience swayed to dreadlocked vocalist T-Pain's whiny hit, "I'm Sprung."

St. Louis raptress Ebony Eyez and the aforementioned Remy Ma represented for the ladies of hip hop. Ebony Eyez exhibited her lyrical tact, using names of several other female MCs as wordplay for an entertaining freestyle. In an orange hoody and matching Reebok Classic sneakers, Remy tantalized the audience with memorable verses from "Ante Up (Remix)" and "Lean Back."

"The crowd is hyped. And it's raining. That's what's even crazier," Remy said. "They're in front of the stage; they're on the side of the stage. Everybody's dancing."

Young City (Chopper of Da Band), Chamillionaire, Rhymefest, Noah, Smitty and Grafh also performed at the event, all whom seemed to take pride in participating in homecoming at a black college.

"That's like the backbone, especially for somebody like me who actually went to a black school," said Ebony Eyez, who attended Florida A&M University. "It definitely brings you back to reality as you come back to people who really don't care much about who you are. If it's good music, they listen."

--------------------------------------------------------

the only legend there, is the only one booed

otay

HSC
Man that is disgraceful. Young Jeezy and Juelz Santana are awful I don't care what any1 says. Booing "Ice Cream"?????????

Introducin, the Ghost..face.. Killah!!
No one could get illa

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Rofl, i don't know the other two, but i know who Ghostface is, and i dont even listen to rap :(

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
thats disgraceful, bring him to Australia he will get a nice welcome
youth these days need to go back and listen to some older stuff...find their roots, not to mention the rymes from the 80's are damn good.

iwannarock

HSC
its probably just a reflection of the vast majority of modern day hip hop

since the vast majority of modern day hip hop is sub par music.........the fans are also sub-par.

can't believe ghostface got boo'd.

although.......maybe they were saying boo-urns.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
Serius said:
thats disgraceful, bring him to Australia he will get a nice welcome
youth these days need to go back and listen to some older stuff...find their roots, not to mention the rymes from the 80's are damn good.
go the 80's n early 90's. esp i lurve old school like Run DMC, imperial boys etc.
i don't like modern hip hop and rap, it's about nothing, just all "oh girl, oh baby, oh sex" like wow....i've started listening to heavy metal and rock ever since the end of the 90's, new hip hop sux.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
dipset are entertaining i listen to em, not really good rappers though, cams allright i still like his flow though i prefered him in COC days but oh well, JR is nice, juelz music is entertaining i like him as a rapper.

otay

HSC
Killa Cam is only decent member and he sucks now compared with his Children of the Corn days and other material he did with Big L. Dipset are alrite, they make some hot tracks, but don't deserve all the adulation over Ghostface. Still...

Wu infinetly * > Dipset

M.I.A-187

HSC
Whoa that is fucked up : ( HOW CAN THEY BOOED TEH GHOST FACE KILLA. Well i guess the place is infested with 50 cents groupies course from what i heard...ghost face killa throw 50 cents outta a club (and mr jackson should remember that WU TANG CLAN ain't nuthin to fuck with).

Well i like wu tang clan but since i haven't heard anything from dipset i shall keep my humble opinions down while judging.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)