What are some speech techniques? (1 Viewer)

yups

HSC
I have to write a speech and I wrote one with lots of rhetorical questions to engage the listeners. My teacher read over my speech and said it was excellent and that i just need to engage the listeners (although I included like 6 rhetorical questions to engage the listener)

so my question is.. how else can I engage the listener?

Kat92

HSC
Tone, pace that you read the speech at (dramatic pauses where necessary), humour or (puns if cleverly done though), good eye contact and if you take on a certain persona.

Last edited:

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
use props! they're always usually interesting and its sure fire way to get the audience's attention.

like for example:

in my year 11 speech, i did mine on poverty. i printed out pictures of poor third world country african kids and guilted my audience. i also staged a q&a and made it obvious, much to the audience's amusement. like, i get someone to prepare a question to ask me at the end of my speech, and after they finish asking, i purposely read "good question!" off my palm cards. :D

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Differences in sentences length.
Repition of key phrases.
Relevant anecdotes

Oh, and:
Humour (not puns)
:)

yups

HSC
fml . i just realised my speech is 6 mins 30 and it's meant to be 5 mins :|

but everything in my speech is relevant so i dont know what to take out

:vcross:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
No don't read fast, as this means you'll get marks off for presentation.

Start by taking out extra descriptive words and unnecessary parts that you just had to show off vocabulary or make a joke etc.

Sadiah

HSC

Start by taking out extra descriptive words and unnecessary parts that you just had to show off vocabulary or make a joke etc.
+1

Reading too fast will also make the audience be like - wth? shez speaking gibberish. They might not keep up with you, and as Mirakon says, it will reduce marks.

AmieLea

HSC
fml . i just realised my speech is 6 mins 30 and it's meant to be 5 mins :|

but everything in my speech is relevant so i dont know what to take out

:vcross:
cut the intro and ending to around one sentence
leave out one point that may be relevant, but not as important as the rest.
read faster
paraphrase what you're saying.

that's all i've got :)

Kat92

HSC

+1 too much description and explanation of techniques can be overkill and send the audience to sleep. Also look at how much you have for your intro and conclusion reducing this to a sentence or couple of words. Above all practice and practice a speed that suits you before you actually have to present it + will help you gain more confidence.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Also, don't just list all the techniques you come across but rather analyse a few specific techniques that are connected so your speech flows smoothly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)