What are the chances of getting accepted into... (1 Viewer)

o_o"
HSC
I swear im not stalking you but like huhh? what happened to comm/sci, this is like a step in a completely different direction to commerce o-o

you should stick to bus/medsci if you wanted to eventually move to comm/sci. ... suddenly changing to a completely different field might make it hard for you to go back if you were to change your mind...but i dont know, your choice.

uac.aplcnt

HSC
I think UAC will consider the spot taken when the offer is sent. However, some people may reject their offers, resulting in vacancies for 2nd/3rd round.

I don't know, im just guessing :/
LOL at this comment.. anyhow, to add to this point - if you read further after they say "This will not be known until after acceptances to Main Round offers have been received.."

uac.aplcnt

HSC
I was playing Socrates with you FS, I'm sorry... it was just an experiment I wanted to try.

From the cut-off thing:

A letter ‘V’ shown in brackets after the cut-off indicates that some places may be available in the Early February Round. Vacancies could also arise in some courses not marked ‘V’.
They always go "May" "Could" "Probably" Etc etc.. like the one you quoted before:

A letter ‘V’ shown in brackets after the cut-off indicates that some places may be available in the Early February Round. Vacancies could also arise in some courses not marked ‘V’.
So THIS means even though it DOES HAVE A V (Vacancy) next to the courses, they MAY (OR MIGHT..or PROBABLY) have a vacant spot for people who re-change their preferences (In the EFR feb round)..EVEN though it is MARKED V...therefore it only makes a little difference whether they have vacancies or not..the ones that dont have vacancies would probably be harder to get an offer for??

Idk..

FrozenSky

HSC
I swear im not stalking you but like huhh? what happened to comm/sci, this is like a step in a completely different direction to commerce o-o

you should stick to bus/medsci if you wanted to eventually move to comm/sci. ... suddenly changing to a completely different field might make it hard for you to go back if you were to change your mind...but i dont know, your choice.
Yeah i actually want to go do com/sci, but i realised that my chances of being accepted in 2nd round is almost impossible. And i really do not want to go through the tedious/annoying process of transferring (heck i might not even successfully transfer)... If i get directly accepted to com/sci i would much rather do that than radiology.

But then again i'm worried about the long term health risks associated with radiology, and thus thinking of transferring...

Yes im a very indecisive person...

o_o"
HSC
I was just wondering why did you choose b.bus/b.medsci instead of the more common b.bus/b.sci which is almost identical to comm/sci - it had a medsci major as well? Also transferring wouldnt be a tedious process for you since you seem like a very capable person judging by your atar/marks and you were planning on doing work in uni werent you? if so then a credit or even distinction average shouldnt be hard at all to pull off and that should be enough in conjunction with your atar to easily tranfer into unsw comm/sci after a year or even semester. Then you get to be where you actually want to be!

If i were you, id try to get into uts bus/sci during the 2nd round offers, study it for awhile since its relevent and then transfer to unsw comm/sci after a year/semester. But thats just me, you have a day left to decide before 2nd round prefs close.

Also, I too would be concerned with the health risks of radiography seeing as frequent and long term exposure to radiation would obviously increase your chances of developing cancerous cells more so than the average person despite what people say.

Last edited:

FrozenSky

HSC
I was just wondering why did you choose b.bus/b.medsci instead of the more common b.bus/b.sci which is almost identical to comm/sci - it had a medsci major as well? Also transferring wouldnt be a tedious process for you since you seem like a very capable person judging by your atar/marks and you were planning on doing work in uni werent you? if so then a credit or even distinction average shouldnt be hard at all to pull off and that should be enough in conjunction with your atar to easily tranfer into unsw comm/sci after a year or even semester. Then you get to be where you actually want to be!

If i were you, id try to get into uts bus/sci during the 2nd round offers, study it for awhile since its relevent and then transfer to unsw comm/sci after a year/semester. But thats just me, you have a day left to decide before 2nd round prefs close.

Also, I too would be concerned with the health risks of radiography seeing as frequent and long term exposure to radiation would obviously increase your chances of developing cancerous cells more so than the average person despite what people say.
Hmmm, because i'm thinking of majoring medical science in a normal science degree anyway. So therefore if i were to do medical science @ UTS, it would save me some time - rather than doing the foundation subjects for science. So if i do successfully transfer to com/sci i might be able to skip the foundation subjects? Or skip some parts in medical science once i major medical science via a normal science degree.

Furthermore, i did not do any chemistry in yr 12. So i'm a bit worried about chem in medical science - which may effectively drag my averages down (however i'm planning to work hard in bridging courses to catch up).

What do you think? A fast reply would be nice, because as you said i got one more day to change my pref :p

Last edited:

o_o"
HSC
I just had a quick look on the UTS website for you and i noticed that b.medical science and b.science(medical science major) when combined with business have IDENTICAL course structures so im not sure what you mean by foundation subjects because theyre the same. Only difference is that a b.science degree gives you a wider range of majors to choose from if you were to change your mind to say biomedical science or mathematics (good for finance/accounting) or others. So Id pick b.science just for the extra flexibility.

Another thing I should add is that UNSW doesnt have a medical science major, they tend to be more specific with their majors such as pharmacology or 'Medical Microbiology and Immunology', biomedical science and many others. Have a look at all of them on the unsw website and choose the one you like best. Transferring to unsw after doing a science major like medical science should allow you to skip some subjects (within a closely related major at unsw) as you should be able to earn some credit points from your science subjects at uts.

Bridging course in chem would be fine, plus they start off basic and gradually get harder anyway. just dont let yourself get behind and youll be fine.

So basically, I stick to what I said earlier. Try to change into B.Bus/B.sci at uts :) Anything else, just ask. Goodluck with everything

FrozenSky

HSC
I just had a quick look on the UTS website for you and i noticed that b.medical science and b.science(medical science major) when combined with business have IDENTICAL course structures so im not sure what you mean by foundation subjects because theyre the same. Only difference is that a b.science degree gives you a wider range of majors to choose from if you were to change your mind to say biomedical science or mathematics (good for finance/accounting) or others. So Id pick b.science just for the extra flexibility.

Another thing I should add is that UNSW doesnt have a medical science major, they tend to be more specific with their majors such as pharmacology or 'Medical Microbiology and Immunology', biomedical science and many others. Have a look at all of them on the unsw website and choose the one you like best. Transferring to unsw after doing a science major like medical science should allow you to skip some subjects (within a closely related major at unsw) as you should be able to earn some credit points from your science subjects at uts.

Bridging course in chem would be fine, plus they start off basic and gradually get harder anyway. just dont let yourself get behind and youll be fine.

So basically, I stick to what I said earlier. Try to change into B.Bus/B.sci at uts :) Anything else, just ask. Goodluck with everything
Thanks a lot for the help, i'll rep you.
What i meant about foundation subjects for science is like - mathematics and physics. The first in science requires you to go through biology, physics, mathematics and chemistry, after doing those you then pick a major. Where as medical science does not even bother touching those subjects, and goes straight into the chemistry/biology etc... Hmmm i had a quick read about UNSW majors. The major to do with medical microbiology and immunology are quite similar to medical science in first year /stage one.

My point is that i don't want to waste time going through all the foundation which i will not need for medical majors :/
Hmm guess i'll have to give usyd/unsw a call just to make sure

o_o"
HSC
Oh i had a look again, and i finally understand what you mean by the foundation courses in the first year - sorry I didnt see it before. I also found this link from the unsw website that might be useful: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/faculties/2010/sci/TableA.html
The major you are interested in at unsw, medical microbiology and immunology, has a number of introductory and foundation courses in chemistry, biology and maths that you are required to take (the stage 1 part). So maybe, it might be a good idea to do the foundation at uts so that some credits transfer over since you might have to do it there anyway. Sorry I'm not 100% sure on this, read up a bit more on it or call them up to make sure.

all the best and thanks for the rep!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)