what are the grounds of a teacher giving u zero? (1 Viewer)

is a teacher allowed to read marks out loud without your concent?

• Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

dirrty

Hey my BITCH teacher, who if u have, you will die- gave me zero for an essay because i didn't put a bibliography and because when i was quoting from a direct source which uses bullet points, she thought it wasn't in essay format... yes they are points to consider and work on but zero?!?!?!

i don't know... and even if an essay is perfect she said she'd never give anoyone above 18/20 for it... that's how mean she is... she reads ur marks out and embarasses u infront of the class without your concent which she did to me today.. i went well in everything except history!

is this behaviour acceptable?:confused:

Benno

HSC
if it was a qoute eg "Germany lost cause they sucked arse" (benno's book on germany) then it should be fine take it to head teacher or princaple

rolz

Id put in an appeal to the head teacher because you handed in the assignemnt and therefore shouldn't get zero for it. She should have some marking guildlelines you should ask to see those. The grounds for getting a zero are not handing in the assignment or not have a serious attempt. But it sounds like you seriously attempted it so i would take it to your head teacher and ask for it to be marked using her marking guildlines but by the head teacher. If this teacher is the head teacher then go over her head to the deputy principle because it sounds like she has a superiority complex

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
sounds like a load of shit to me.. obviously those are things you might lose marks for but zero is definitely not acceptable.. i would say get it double-marked, get the head teacher to look at it.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Take it to a higher being and seek their opinion. Whinge until you get what you deserve!!!

Generator

HSC
N/A
No reference list generally implies that some of the material may have been plagiarised... If that's the case, then it seems fair to me. It's all your own fault for not completing the entire assessment, which is another reason for a zero with some markers.

But there can be no harm in questioning the mark.

dying4december

canned

look, you know that u shouldve put a bibliography in and should have referenced your quotes, but a zero is definitely not warranted for handing in an assessment

incorrect referencing doesnt USUALLY incur a 100% penalty!!
take it to the deputy dude

Benno

HSC
hmm a girl out our school plagerised and left, i hate the bitch so i was like good ridence

enter~space~cap

{Enter-Space-Capsule}
ermmwell in theory, if you attempt to do an essay, even if you write, Germany was at war in 1939, then the teacher have to give you credit for it.........the only time when you get zero is when the teacher finds out you've been plagarising. I dont agree with your teacher giving you zero, you should take it to the head teacher, or deputy.

Generator

HSC
N/A
It's a serious attempt, not just an attempt.

I still think that it's justified, as doing as you did in uni would more than likely end up with a failure.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
It sounds like it has been considered malpractice because you haven't acknowledged your sources, in which case the zero is perfectly legit.

But thats not to say I wouldn't be upset put in your position.

avazzi21

Sure in uni it might be a failure, but he's doing HSC, and the point is the teacher sounds as if she is not following a marking guideline. Take it all the way to the top. You should lose marks but not zero. If you dont get anywhere ask your principal for an official complaint form and write to the dept of education

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i think 0 is non-attempt, as soon as you write some points worth considering you get at least 1

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by YEAR12
It sounds like it has been considered malpractice because you haven't acknowledged your sources, in which case the zero is perfectly legit.
Sorry, but this view just doesn't apply in the HSC. You may be penalised for not including references, however that is only one part of the syllabus. If you fulfil other requirements there is no way you can be awarded zero unless the teacher has a solid case for plagiarisation (eg contrast with previous work etc). Hence, I would agree with Avazzi21, you MUST appeal this decision, especially if it was an assessement task.

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Sorry, but this view just doesn't apply in the HSC. You may be penalised for not including references, however that is only one part of the syllabus.

Omg take your head out of your arse!! You do like to sound all high & mighty don't you!!

Anyway, at my school, we are given the marking scale before we commence each assessment task and it says clearly under the criteriae for recieving zero 'non-attempt, plaigerism, malpractice, failure to appropriately acknowledge sources'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)