What are tutors for? (1 Viewer)

marwanjamiel

HSC
Hi, I'm new here, however I've been reading this forum for sometime.

Lets start with some background information. I moved to Canberra in July into Year 11 at Canberra Boys Grammar School. I am aiming for a UAI of 99.6, so I understand that there is a very tough year ahead of me. My father has offered to get me a tutor for every subject I do. I do 2U Maths, Eng Adv, Eng ext, Physics, Mod History, and Economics.

What I want to know is what the role of tutors is, and what are the services they provide. I already know that they help you to grasp concepts you are having difficulty in, however is there anything else they can help you with?

muttiah

Banned
HSC
i dont know for english.. but for maths.. they just help u change ur thinking..they might tell u short cuts.. go ahead in work.. might teach u more advanced dan da syllabus... etc

its not really needed if ur a good worker and can think for urself

Zephyrio

HSC
^^ What LottoX said.

Tutoring just gives you extra practise... you'll find that many of the top maths students have been tutored and are so good because they have practised mathematical concepts over and over.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
i never understood either ...i never saw a need for a tutor

but i did correspondence studies for about 1.5 just recently during which time i got a tutor for maths and economics

for maths, she basically taught me the work. she cleared my problems, addressed areas i had issues in and was able to identify my weaknesses and help work on them.

economics...again, i was able to get my problems cleared.

basically a tutor gives you what a teacher can give you..but may not be giving you due to time constraints/size of class etc.
also what tutors teach act as reiteration of what you learn in school....which acts like revision.

however i personally don't recommend tutoring unless you feel the need for one in a particular subject. then go ahead :)

marwanjamiel

HSC
Yes, well I already have a tutor for maths, I see a need for that.

I'm not sure about my other subjects though.

Pubert

HSC
I would probably get a tutor for english and maths, but there really is no need for a tutor in subjects where you just memorise content like physics, economics and history. Sure physics has some math involved but its practically learning the formula and substitution.

Sofstar

HSC
I havent been tutoring since primary (damn parents) and i use to get homework to do. if you're going to have a tutor for EVERY subject, you might want to consider the workload you might get.

millieforever

HSC
it really depends on the situation... i have a friend who has a tutor for chem but the teacher is better than the tutor... and, even then, why get a tutor if you are alreayd good at a subject and dont need the extra help? it really depends on the situation... and if the tutor doesnt aid you, then there is no point in having one either

kloudsurfer

HSC
Hmmm. Ive been thinking of getting a tutor for Biology (and possibly chem), Im am doing well relative to the rest of the class (not that its hard, no one at my school really gives a damn), and science is one of my strengths, but my teachers are really, really bad. Especially my bio teacher. I cannot describe how bad he is. He doesnt actually teach. Once he spent a whole lesson talking about how he started to climb Mt Everest but got altitude sickness.

Would tutoring be of any use to me?

-pari-

HSC
N/A
Don't get tutoring just "because".

If you can't see how the tutor can help...then chances are you don't "need" the tutor.

Don't think that just because you need a high UAI, you should get tutoring. Many people manage quite nicely without it. I know my brother got ~99.25 and he was your average public school kid who'd never tutored for anything in his life.

The hsc tends to bring on this attitude of 'grab any and every minute thing that could possibly help' - try to be aware of that so you don't over do it.. :)

Not saying don't get tutors - but try to re-evaluate if you really need them.

Last edited:

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Yeah i'm considering in getting a chem and maths tutor for a few weeks...sometime next year...so I can pick out my weaknesses/improvements and so I can be further prepared in exam techniques and approaching exams etc.

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I don't think you HAVE to get a tutor to do good. But it might be more help. Depending on your determination and discipline etc.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Tutors might be helpful if you're a person who cannot sit and stay focused on something for a while and/or you need someone to pummel the concepts into your head.

So yes, how beneficial tutoring would be depends on how willing you are to actually learn from them and stuff. And, the price of the tutoring isn't necessarily an indication of how good they are as commonly thought so have a shop around.

I think there's a Tutoring thread here somewhere although I can't seem to find it, if you can find it, have a look in there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)