What are you allergic to? (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
at least u didnt get tardive..

Actualli anaphylaxis is the only allergy we consider.. ures was like an adverse drug reaction..
We have a heap of kids at the preschool who have anaphylaxis to nuts etc.. so I have been taught how to use an epi-pen.
My dad gets anaphylaxis to penicillin the full throat closing, practically inching his skin off, inability to breathe thing after taking it fo years and years all off a sudden he's allergic.

As far as I know I dont have any real allergies.
I think I am lactose intollerant (can u test for that?)
get hayfever occasionally from flowers (etc..)
my skin dislikes that medical tape, the orangey brown one

I know someone who's skin is allergic to water and another who is allergic to surgical steel

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
apparently i am allergic to beestings. i go out of my way to avoid the little fuckers at all costs though, so i guess i'll never get to test that one out.

rozymisty

HSC
What do you mean by tardive?

Well I am now classified as allergic according to the ER consultant. So now when I need to go to hospital i will also wear one of those red arm bands...I only wish i knew bout the reaction before hand, coz ive taken maxalon plenty of times and no problems whatsoever.' I didnt even knwo what the side effects were....whic isnt good when im a nursing student...

iamsickofyear12

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
apparently i am allergic to beestings. i go out of my way to avoid the little fuckers at all costs though, so i guess i'll never get to test that one out.
I was stung by a bee once in the middle of a soccer field without even knowing there was one around, but have never been stung on the numerous occasions I have gone barging through wattle bushes full of them.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
rozymisty said:
Well i know that from my nursing studies, its a antiemetic and used for those having examination of the stomach and assist in intubation so you dont gag.. I certainly got all the adverse reactions to it: dystonic reactions, CNS disturbances including impaired alertness, tardiative dyskinesia and others...hm although dystonic reactions are all those CNS disturbances....

and also my eyes were just going crazy apparently..no wonder things were so blurrry.

Actualli anaphylaxis is the only allergy we consider.. ures was like an adverse drug reaction..

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Optophobia said:
That person would be dead.
No they wouldn't. It is possible to be allergic to water and still be alive... it's just extremely annoying.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
No they wouldn't. It is possible to be allergic to water and still be alive... it's just extremely annoying.
I've heard about it, it's extremely rare only a handful of people have it, it's called Aquagenous urticaria.

Im Coeliac so im allergic to everything that has wheat and wheat derivitives in it, which basically means most processed foods and lollies, etc.

rozymisty

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:

quote]

i did get tardive....according to my oxford minidictionary for nurses:

tardive diskinesia- diskinesia of the facial muscles, tongue and, and limb muslces, associated with long term medication with phenothiazines or certain other antipsychotic drugs.

and diskinesia is - a group of involuntary movements, oncluding dystonia, that appear to be a fragmention of the normal smoothly controlled limb and facial movements

Now i certainly had the tongue and limb movment problems...my legs were shaking, not at the same time, it seemed to alternate, during the day my head was back and then it eventualy went normal before i started turning to the right, and my tongue was most certainly hanging out.

And my arms were during the day just normal most of the time, then started to like stick out, just like your bending your elbows but just staying there, then i had my hands nearly clenched together and just stayed like that for the rest of the time i was in hospital but i could move them if say the ambulance officer wanted to take my pulse or something.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
usually its persistant... too ... but i agree it sounds lik a tardive..

but the diagnostic criteria is very specific before id label ures tardive

ybnormal

The depths of my mind are the safest places
HSC
formaldahyde - a preservative they use in carcasses and some plastics. causes mouth to close up and itching
honey - throat swelling
citrus - vomting and stinging if touched
coconut- vomiting
tomato - vomting
every type of polle, grass, etc
horses (ooo, this one is fun, causes my whole face to swell up)
whote bread - sick
cats and some dogs

life hates me :)
also used to be allergic to sugar. glad i grew outta that one!!!

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
heh, allergies. im just naturally awesome enough to have none.

but it would be kinda funny if i was allergic to some medication used if i was being operated on.

not for me, though.

rozymisty

HSC
oh well if that happened, they'd have medications to reverse it.

My pupils are still big..yet its been nearly 2 wks since i got that dose of cogentin to reverse the maxalon. HTe nurse at work tonight said that maybe i reacted coz i was also taking digesic with it....not sure about that but oh well....

Sonata

HSC
probably just dustmite for now i dunno wat other allergies i got

CieL

HSC
melsc said:
I know someone who's skin is allergic to water
I watched a documentary on someone who's allergic to water like.. just over 10yrs ago..

I remember them saying that she has to carry an umbrella 24/7.. and that before she showers, she has to apply some special cream on [which I think defies the purpose of taking a shower]..

And that if she does touch water directly, her respiratory system plays up and she starts to have difficulty breathing, and the rest of her body starts to shut down..

I swear it'd have to be the biggest bummer of an allergy to have..

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
rozymisty said:
What are you allergic to?

I never thought I had allergies, but I found on Thursday last week at 2am, that Im allergic to Maxalon, a med given for nausea and vomiting. On Mon 27th, I got my wisdom teeth out, and then that was all fine and stuff, and then Tues my tongue started to hang out, and then went back in, and then later that day just hang out.. Woke up Wednesday and my tongue just refused to go in at all during the day and night.

Mum rang me that night to see how i was recuperating from the operation, and I couldnt talk at all...I was like moaning words..just hold your tongue out and talk at the same time and thats how i was. My neck was like stiff and bending backwards during the day, drooling all the time,a dn yeah pain from that....mum worked that out,a nd she came over to take me to emergency. But she got to my place and saw me kinda fitting and stiff, and immediately rang the ambulance.

They though i was having a fit or had a intellectul disability coz my head was just like back and facing right, and shaking so much but i wasnt at all cold. I just was blank as but could still respond and stuf like that.

The ER docs didnt know what was going on, thinking it was a neuro problem and then mum found the Maxalon adn the docs were like oH well that explains everything, and so they gave me some cogentin (benztropine) to reverse the maxalon and stop the sharking and getting my tongue back in. I stayed till HThurs morning and then went home all sore from shaking so much.

Strange thing is, ive taken maxalon several times and NEVER had a reaction. THe docs were like oh well its pretty rare to get the dystonia as they put it.

So now my pupils are still really big (dilated) and im still dizzy at ttimes but im giong to see a neurologist next week.

So yeah to answer my question: im allergic to maxalon.
zomg, im allergic to maxalon aswell. i used to be able to take it, but then i started getting reactions to it, including more nausea. so i get stemotil instead.
and i once had a bad reaction to morphine, where my entire arm came up in huge red lumps, that felt all hot and uncomfortable.
and the last time i had morphine, i threw up a fair bit.
but i dont think im allergic to morphine. prolly just from getting the drug and having not eaten all day. and then again from laying in bed for hours on end, and then getting up too fast to go the toilet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)