What are you currently Reading? (1 Viewer)

PiperCat

HSC
I recommend the MARRIAGE PLOT by Jeffery Eugenides. He wrote THE VIRGIN SUICIDES and MIDDLESEX too.
The book is about this girl Madeline who is a college student and is writing her thesis on Jane Austin and George Elliot. It sounds crap but i really enjoyed it. I don't want to give too much away but if you like movies like DEAD POETS SOCIETY then you might like this.

PiperCat

HSC
If you enjoy this, i would like to recommend that you read books by Charles Bukowski. The first to read is POST OFFICE. He is a fantastic writer and you may be able to detect similarities between the style of writing from these two authors. He is one of my favourite authors of all time.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Just finished End The Fed by Ron Paul. Pretty shit book. It had all the hallmarks of a radical utopian ideology a la Commuist Manifesto or Mein Kampf. He kept harping on about how everything will be better under a gold standard, but didn't explain what needed to be done to get there, nor the problems that would be created by the sudden move. He kept using evocative, incendiary and base language to describe what he sees as a grand conspiracy of the powerful, money-making elite, a rather far-fetched idea. Few of his facts and claims are supported by any cited data, he seemed to be under the impression that the states in America who can't issue their own money were more responsible than the federal government (despite many of them being on the verge of bankruptcy) and that if America did move to the gold standard that all of the selfish, greedy tendencies of the policy-makers would be magically curtailed by the limits imposed by the free-market, rather than the policy-makers continuing on as normal and running the country off a very steep cliff. He constantly wrote about how the End the Fed movement has so many supporters already, despite him openly admitting that most of them are just (naive) uni students. He kept harping on about how inevitable the collapse of the Fed is, but if it's so inevitable, why bother trying to convert people to support it? He spent the whole first two chapters just going on about how things were so much better back in his childhood before the Fed ruined everything, as though his clouded memory wasn't at all biased. He could barely write properly, constantly just paraphrasing the same catchphrases and avoiding discussing anything of importance or extrapolating on his statements.
All in all, shit book, poorly written.

Am now reading Guns Germs and Steel - Jared Diamond. Thus far, a far better writer than Paul.

Lentern

HSC
This thread was a lot more fun before they got rid of the rep button. Anyway, Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch by Sally Smith. A friend thrust it upon me in response to my constant bagging out of the royal family, if I read it and still hate her I'm allowed to resume bagging her.

dsor01

HSC
So, what is everyone reading right now?

After all, this is the reading room. It needs a thread like this!

Please tell us its title, author, and what you think of it!

The Pursuit of Happiness- Douglas Kennedy (recommended novel to all)Favourite quotes:

• “The only time you truly become an adult is when you finally forgive your parents for being just as flawed as everyone else.”
  • "Things might happen accidentally – but then we make choices. That is what we have to live with – not the accident, the fluke but the choices we make in the wake of it. Because they really determine our destiny."
  • "When it comes to forgiveness, language may be important but gesture is everything. Because gesture begets another gesture. Just as forgiving another allows you to forgive yourself." :hug2:

Last edited by a moderator:

kfnmpah

HSC
Just finished (over the past ~2 weeks)
- clockwork orange (pretty good once you get a grasp on the language. Use this website http://soomka.com/nadsat.html to get every single term in the book and what it means. so helpful.
- The Road - Cormack Mccarthy. Utterly bleak and somewhat traumatic. Set in a post apocalyptic world, a father and son are trying to move south, towards the equator to survive winter. Incredible.
- Fight Club - Palahniuk. The movie is exactly like the book, but I prefer the book. READ IT. WATCH IT. NOW

going to try and get through 2 of the following over the next few days (I have a 24 hour flight and 2 days of relaxing so plenty of time to read)
1984- orwell, the catcher in the rye - salinger, candy - Davies, grapes of wrath - steinbeck or notes from underground - Dostoevsky

starting 1984 tonight

Zai94

HSC
The girl with the dragon tattoo, the girl who played with fire and halfway through the girl who kicked the hornets nest im quite delayed lol but these are the best trilogy series since lemony snickets books ;)

sleepybearx

HSC
Just finished 1984 by George Orwell. IT WAS SO FLIPPING GOOD.
Felt like crying in the end. WHY WINSTON WHY!?!?!
I recommend everyone to read it... If you like books about dystopian societies

sleepybearx

HSC
Going to read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! Loving all those books about society and shizzle. dis be mah jam.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Road to Serfing - Hayek. A travel biography about Hayek chasing epic waves around the world. Or sumthin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)