hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
noam chomsky and edward herman - manufacturing consent

and foucalt's works on discourse for uni, which arent being too helpful

Alethia

hitting dead ends
HSC
I just finished reading the Axis Trilogy and the Waferer Redemption Trilogy by Sara Douglass. I'd give the 6 book a million star rating. She's the Aussie equvalent of Tolkein in my opinion!

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Alan Clark-Barbarossa.

Good, but some areas are severly lacking on detail (Clark devotes as much space to Operation Bagration to Porsche's car designs..Seriously.), and it's a 'macro' history. Whenever a soldier's diary is quoted or whatever, no source is given as to exactly who it was. You know how quibbles are.

mayberry

the bronze horseman by paulina simons - it's so sad! does anyone else out there really really like terry pratchett books? cos my sis got me hooked on them

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
The teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy

Pretty ordinary but not too bad

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I'm still reading Midnight's Children, but it's been interesting..

It's been the sort of book where you read for a certain portion, and it's good and compelling, but then you reach a point in the text where it becomes great. I've just had this experience with this book, at about page.170 or thereabouts. I recommend it.

Anyone else have a similar reading/cognitive experience? I had a similar happening while reading Crime & Punishment.

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
today i finished April Fools Day by Bryce Courtney.. its such a sad book has anyone read it?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Agnes2810
today i finished April Fools Day by Bryce Courtney.. its such a sad book has anyone read it?
Yes! :(

Sorry, but that is the only book I have ever cried while reading.. (Especially during the very ending, which was also influenced by the song I had playing in the background, "Hope" by The Dirty Three.. *Sniff*).. Poor Damien.

still ill

Originally posted by mayberry
the bronze horseman by paulina simons - it's so sad! does anyone else out there really really like terry pratchett books? cos my sis got me hooked on them
terry pratchett is great
have you read good omens? his collaberation with niel gaiman, another favourite author of mine

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Phillip Morgan-Facism in Europe, 1919-1945.

It's interesting reading about some of the lesser known facist movements, like those in Hungary (Arrow Cross) and Romania (Iron Guard. Apparently four successive Romanian prime ministers were assassinated in the 1930's by members of this organisation.)

Kittycat

HSC
Apart from school materials...just finished LOTR. Don't intend to start Harry Potter. I want to read the Hobbit afterwards.

sunken eyes

HSC
i'm reading an isobelle carmody book called darksong. its the secnd ina series, the first being darkfall. normally i am not sucha fantasy geek, excepting lotr, but its a really good setting for the novel. thats what makes a good geek book for me.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Gregor i love Rushdie. have you read any other books by him?

I'm currently reading "Sparta" by Michael Whitby... for Ancient History (blegh)

i am also reading "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson for the billionth time, on the side.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
Gregor i love Rushdie. have you read any other books by him?
Nice. Unfortunately I haven't, but to use the old cliche, Midnight's Children is the first of his books that I've read, but it won't be the last. (Any particular novels you'd recommend? Like say, that crazy The Moor's Last Sigh or The Satanic Verses? Thanks.)

And to briefly comment, does anyone else find it really clever how the writing style changes to reflect the events in the text? (Like where it becomes free verse after Saleem gains telepathy.. :p)

But I'm currently reading;
Ed.John Boardman, Jasper Griffin & Oswyn Murray-The Oxford History Of The Roman World..

(Also read 'The Mousetrap' yesterday, and plan to read 'The Tragical Historie Of Doctor Faustus' next..For my own amusement.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)