What are your rights? (1 Viewer)

Tangent

HSC
The thing is that it is easy it adopt rights for yourself. The only work is working towards acknowledging others rights and freedoms. The reason why it has had to be institutionalised is because that not all people care about and repsect others rights, thinking they have a right to ignore others rights.

Rights are easy. Reciprocating rights are the work

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
i'm drowning in a sea of hsc
quote if ur down

spyro14

HSC
The thing is that it is easy it adopt rights for yourself. The only work is working towards acknowledging others rights and freedoms. The reason why it has had to be institutionalised is because that not all people care about and repsect others rights, thinking they have a right to ignore others rights.

Rights are easy. Reciprocating rights are the work
uhh huh, institutionalised, thats generally my key for walking away but I do see your point so I suppose i'll let this be an exception.

So how exactly do you tell someone that they don't have the right to ignore other people's rights in a way in which they'll actually listen?

Tangent

HSC
uhh huh, institutionalised, thats generally my key for walking away but I do see your point so I suppose i'll let this be an exception.

So how exactly do you tell someone that they don't have the right to ignore other people's rights in a way in which they'll actually listen?
If there was a way then rights wouldnt be abused. That is what makes rights so hard to work with, because it depends on individuals. Sure they can be educated and such, but in the end it has to be the individual who allows others to have rights.

But if we all work together, the world would be a better place for everyone. How ever there are those who think themselves superior, or that they are too proud and dont think others deserve rights. There is always going to be these people around, but that doesnt mean we dont try and stop this. It is idealistic, but better to strive for an ideal than strive for nothing

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Moral brainwashing from a young age.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
He simply takes each 'right to X' and talks about how X is actually misguided or is the source of some social pathology with barely any mention of the concept of rights per se. While I am sympathetic to his disillusionment and sense of alienation, his arguments are rubbish.
He's a bit mad for sure.

I think he's not speaking specifically against rights as a concept, but the way in which they're commonly interpreted, and the usual things people apply and discuss as rights- 'right to X'.

The concept of rights is so often abused by absurd statements like 'education is a right' etc, any meaningful or informative discussion of rights is lacking.

What is your view? Do individuals have a right to be protected and provided with a standard of living by the government? Or do rights only exist as a moral obligation upon individuals in a society, to avoid violating anyone else's negative rights?

3p1c f41lur3

HSC
my right to use modern technology is being abused :mad1:. even though the technology is bought with my own money, i wont be able to use internet for a long time because my parent is getting hyped up about MY HSC...

HSC
N/A
human rights are a human construct,
So trying to objectify them is a pretty pointless endeavor....

Big Boss

Banned
HSC
N/A
I think rights should be earned because people are being more complacent.
Might is right.
When being held like John McCain at a prison camp there is no use talking about the Geneva Convention, as they say less talk more action.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
I think rights should be earned because people are being more complacent.
Might is right.
When being held like John McCain at a prison camp there is no use talking about the Geneva Convention, as they say less talk more action.
Thanks for that Mr. Social Darwinist.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
I think you have a right to life and a right to try your best to protect it through any means necessary, thats about it. Everything else i can break down as a construct or a necessity of living in society.

I cant think of any situation though where i could judge someone as wrong and not having the right to do what they did when all they did is protect their life[either from a direct threat like somebody trying to stab you, or from a more distant one like stealing food because you are slowly starving to death] . Even if those actions are deemed illegal, if you fail then you are dead so who gives a shit. I prefer to live even if its behind bars.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
you'd really wanna be behind bars?
I dont want to die. I would think thats a pretty logical, and almost universal stance. Living in an Australian prison doesnt seem so bad that i would prefer to give up my life. Maybe if there was an actual compelling choice, like being tortured for 50 years then death, or instant painless death then i would be tempted to die painlessly.... but even then my morals say its still better to live a life in agony than to die.

Tangent

HSC
Hmm, fair enough. I just shudder when thinking about the society they have in jail though, really anything goes

Random_dude

HSC
Hmm, fair enough. I just shudder when thinking about the society they have in jail though, really anything goes
too true. also, human rights (and this is going to sound either smart, corny, stupid, or cheesy) is something that people finally have the smarts, or enough tantrums of going "that's not fair"x repeat to go let's set something up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)