What do you do in Economics? (1 Viewer)

gnrlies

HSC
Ive read a few things and just want to make a couple of points:

1 - There is no differential calculus in either the preliminary or HSC course, it is just a tool you can use to determine elasticities if you have the appropriate information (but not something you ever need to do). You dont need any maths at all in the HSC course (algebra doesn't count).

2 - Microeconomics at university is not the HSC course. You will not come out of the HSC course knowing everything about economics. In fact you will probably come out of the HSC knowing nothing about economics. Ive seen it in many students before - getting all cocky thinking they are doing good, and then BAM they hit market structures and fail bismally. It ends up being that students who never did economics end up doing better!

But in the end my third point is:

3 - Do economics because it is the most important field you can study and despite my second point, you will probably learn more in HSC economics than you will at university. Sort of like how learning the alphabet is more useful than learning to spell a complicated word.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Actually, after doing it in uni last week, I remembered that Northey did actually teach us the elasticity formula and use. But it was never examined by either her or the Board. She should change that.
And tell her to teach faster. I'm doing the Microeconomics 1 course and it's basically just the HSC course, except in only 12 weeks. It's still easy though. Fast = Good.
By the way, which little rat-bag were you? You're in year 12 this year, yes?

Ahh, you know...I was just one of those rat bags. I didn't know who u were until someone else in my year from BoS pointed you out, so I doubt you'll know me.

She seems to teach slowly because many of the idiots who do eco this year (and there are a lot) are extremely slow to pick things up. She hasn't picked up, yet, the fact that most of these people don't want to learn, instead just sit in class listening to iPods. It would be so much better if she taught quicker, but I can't do anything about that.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Except lead an class revolution and expel the lazy capitalist bourgoise from the room, then force the remainder to work harder until Chairman Northey's ever visible gaze. It would bring a whole new meaning to the term "class warfare".

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
Except lead an class revolution and expel the lazy capitalist bourgoise from the room, then force the remainder to work harder until Chairman Northey's ever visible gaze. It would bring a whole new meaning to the term "class warfare".

god damn proletariat.

mushypeach

HSC
eco is pretty bloody boring.
well, generally it is, you need to be able to get pretty engaged in it, coz its not hard to drift off during classes.

maths isn't a big deal, a lot of people do general maths and are fine in economics....you need to be able to understand graphs, tables and general stats and numbers etc.

it really is more about the theory and understand concepts and logic and blah blah blah

do it....and drop it if you don't like it.
but you need to pay attention from the start, coz it's pretty easy to get lost and fall behind

mushypeach

HSC
oh, and beware, the HSC syllabus is all "praise globalisation, our saviour"

just so you know...you kind of have to argue on the side of globalisation a lot

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
eco is pretty awesome imo, I lke how much of it relates to everyday life and stuff like that, and everything builds upon simple stuff like wants/needs/resources to stuff like aggregate demand and supply...

some stuff are pretty hard to grasp at first, like BoP were pretty hazy for me at first, but everything falls into place once you start doing qus

but you've gotta be up to date with whats happening around the economy domestically and globally if you want to go well imo

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
oh, and beware, the HSC syllabus is all "praise globalisation, our saviour"

just so you know...you kind of have to argue on the side of globalisation a lot
it's because there's no economically valid argument against globalisation.

globalisation ftw

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
wow james ruse pushing it up a level. moll what school did you go to?

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Only a little Maths involved in Preliminary. I have been told by my teachers that you need to read a lot of newspapers to do well in Economics. Is that true?

gnrlies

HSC
Only a little Maths involved in Preliminary. I have been told by my teachers that you need to read a lot of newspapers to do well in Economics. Is that true?
A general alertness of what is going on is useful. I wouldn't say that involves reading a lot of newspapers but if you check a major news website daily and look out for any economics related articles, you should be more than fine.

ogilvie1

HSC
N/A
For those who want to simply "learn an exact Science" (rote learn!), then don't take Eco. Sure it applies to things that change every day - that's where the challenge lies!!
The level of Maths is pretty basic - General Maths should get you through OK.
Extremely useful in life - you won't sound like one of those who simply debate the performance of the Govt based on Rudd or Turnbull's personality!! You'll actually understand (agree/disagree) with decisions made by our Governments!

imoO

HSC
For those who want to simply "learn an exact Science" (rote learn!), then don't take Eco. Sure it applies to things that change every day - that's where the challenge lies!!
The level of Maths is pretty basic - General Maths should get you through OK.
Extremely useful in life - you won't sound like one of those who simply debate the performance of the Govt based on Rudd or Turnbull's personality!! You'll actually understand (agree/disagree) with decisions made by our Governments!
not to mention eco is the highest scaling humanities subject :p

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Economics is just memorise, memorise, memorise. :] Some concepts may be confusing such as the annoying Financial markets topic we're doing now; but I just tell myself that all I need to do is memorise. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)