what does a person put into an unsolicited cover letter? (1 Viewer)

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
I'm emailing some firms in my area, and most of them are pretty small.

What is the best way to say: I'm looking for work that would suit someone with very little experience like me.

And should I pretend to have an interest in their firm in particular? I know that's what's expected for seasonals and graduate roles, but it seems a little odd for this.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Do it like any other cover letter (your law students' society has probably published a few guides), except in the first paragraph state exactly what you want instead of responding to the job ad like you normally would.

You will have much better success if you phone ahead. Say 'Hello, I'm such-and-such and I'm in my x year of law at university. I was wondering who I might be able to speak to with regards to possible work experience?'

Assuming you get put through to someone, introduce yourself and give an overview of what you're looking for, and then ask if it's ok for you to send a cover letter through. This works extremely well in any place that isn't Sydney.

Hercules6

HSC
if you do call, say 'with regard' - the singular noun is correct. 'with regards' - the plural form, is poor usage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)