What Excercise Did You Do Today? (1 Viewer)

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
6km Run. Aiming to do 100KM in total before the end of the month.

Meh.

I need to figure out a strength workout but only have two adjustable dumb bells. Any ideas?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
chest press, shoulder press, bicep curls if u want, tricep extention (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/DBTriExt.html), maybe some dumbell squats if you can make em really heavy.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
6km Run. Aiming to do 100KM in total before the end of the month.

Meh.

I need to figure out a strength workout but only have two adjustable dumb bells. Any ideas?
Don't underestimate bodyweight exercises. They will probably be much more beneficial than anything you could do with what I assume are relatively light adjustable dumbbells....

- Pushups
- Situps
- Burpees
- Squats
- Walking lunges
- single-leg squats
- tricep dips
- chin-ups
- pullups

And there are lots and lots of variations of those to vary the intensity. You could also use the dumbbells to add weight to almost all of them. Finally you could use the dumbbells as kettlebells for some exercises, like the kettlebell swing.

PS: best fitness investment for you at the moment: skipping rope. Very cheap and skipping is great for your fitness.

chamelia

HSC
Went for a 2k jog Tuesday. Tried it again yesterday and died after 400m. Attempt 2 is this afternoon. This head cold has completely messed with my ability to do cardio.

Oliver04

HSC
Nah I usually do 5 minute rounds of skipping, so depending on how I feel I'll do either 6, 9 or 12 rounds and Pushups I just do 10x20.

Started Rippetoe today so:

3x5 Squat

1x5 Deadlift

3x5 Weighted Pushup (I must get a bench, so I can actually bench press)

2x8 dips

Just thought I'd give it a quick go, will get into properly after HSC
Interesting you don't have a bench. A top of the line bench would only set you back $200.

Hornby

Banned
HSC
^Yeah, I'm gonna buy one as soon as HSC is done, as all I have at the moment is an old barbell set and rack and plus I feel weighted push-ups give me a greater range of motion and mobility with my shoulders.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I'd like to clean bulk after the HSC is done so I need some ideas/advice on how to go about it.

Albertingu

HSC
Me did 400 push

250 situp

70kilograem bench

96 sqaat

20 midle leg strech

5 burps (this very chalenge)

Oliver04

HSC
^Yeah, I'm gonna buy one as soon as HSC is done, as all I have at the moment is an old barbell set and rack and plus I feel weighted push-ups give me a greater range of motion and mobility with my shoulders.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I'd like to clean bulk after the HSC is done so I need some ideas/advice on how to go about it.
curious what rack?

Commercial Flat Bench - $175 - Muscle Motion
- by far the best commercial bench in australia.

I'm 94kg (up from 78) and have been doing the rippetoe program for almost a year. I have a 165kg squat but I'd probably have a 180kg if I didn't almost die in a car crash the other month.

With bulking just eat like normal (by normal I mean a breakfast of 6-8 weetbix, 200gs of meat on your lunch, a protein shake and a big dinner and whenever you go to maccas at least two big macs) along with 2L of milk. You'll be huge in no time :)

Can I give some advice?
- Buy some black hi-top converse to lift in (waay better than joggers)
- Buy both starting strength and practical programming
- After reading starting strength cover-to-cover go to your local crossfit or a powerlifting coach and get them to iron out your form
- Buy some lifting chalk
- Buy x4 0.5kg weights at samsfitness (for fractional plates) so you can make smaller increases.

I wish I'd put down that kind of money in the beginning.

Oliver04

HSC
Do you mean on a budget? Or in general?

I'd take mine over the above, but it is double the price
Decline benches don't work (note rippetoe's article on the shorter amount of range and greater chance of dropping it on the throat).

Incline bench is a moderately useful exercise for bodybuilding, because all the muscle belly of the chest is hit with the flat bench. It has almost no use in powerlifting, where JM presses, close grips and floor presses are more useful.

If you're using an incline bench for seat supported presses this suggests that a) you have back problems or b) you don't have enough ceiling height to press properly, both are problems unto themselves.

All other exercises with an incline bench can generally bs eg the 'inclined shrug'.

Most FID benches (though to a lesser extent the one above) shake and rattle, and are not as sturdy as a single piece flat bench.

For the above reasons as well as a $250 cost difference I'd recommend the flat bench over an FID bench.

quik.

HSC
I use it for a a few different things, of your listed incline and flat bench

I would argue that seated presses etc are quite valuable, ymmv

It doesn't rattle. As far as sturdiness goes it can handle 1000 pounds so not really an issue at all, this being the main reason I bought it

Oliver04

HSC
I would argue that seated presses etc are quite valuable, ymmv
Why? if its isolating back and core involvement how can it be as useful as standing?

It doesn't rattle. As far as sturdiness goes it can handle 1000 pounds so not really an issue at all, this being the main reason I bought it
The ironmaster is probably the best commercial FID bench out there, which is surprising because it was originally designed to have a lot of knick knacks that can be used with it. However, apart from watching TV (which I do with my $500 avanti, which is a rattly PoS btw) I couldn't justify paying $250 extra for one.

Last edited:

quik.

HSC
Why? if its isolating back and core involvement how can it be as useful as standing?
If I hammer my back the day before shoulders it takes a weak/fatigued back out of focus

If you want to do secondary press movements (after military press etc)

Basically gives you options, which is always good imo

Oliver04

HSC
If I hammer my back the day before shoulders it takes a weak/fatigued back out of focus

If you want to do secondary press movements (after military press etc)

Basically gives you options, which is always good imo
well okay. Then if you're too wussy for full body maybe you need your reclining chair :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)