what happened to... (1 Viewer)

S

Shuter

stamos said:
hey can we clear something up, gentlemen aren't necessarily gentle, they upper class cunts or maybe upper-middle class
Exactly, there was so much wife beating in the 1800's, just none would ever be reported or spoke of. YOu would beat them to be compliant, that's what should be brought back.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
watch Alfie. there's an example of a gentlemen in modern times. he looks good, treats women well, but in reality he's a player. it's a contemporary remake of the one done in the 50s-60s by micheal caine.

Charlottegirl

HSC
Shuter said:
Exactly, there was so much wife beating in the 1800's, just none would ever be reported or spoke of. YOu would beat them to be compliant, that's what should be brought back.
If none of it was reported or spoken of, then we wouldn't know about it now....there's no evidence that it was much more prevalent then than it is now.

S

Shuter

Charlottegirl said:
If none of it was reported or spoken of, then we wouldn't know about it now....there's no evidence that it was much more prevalent then than it is now.
It was written in diarys.

Charlottegirl

HSC
How many? What evidence is there of whether or not these were representative of the wider population? How much disparity is there between the percentage of diaries which contain this type of info and the extent to which this stuff is known to happen today? The first two questions are unanswerable, and the third is useless until the first two have been dealt with satisfactorily. This type of private information about society as a whole is almost completely inaccessible to historians, who only have scraps, bits and pieces to work with. The only thing that really can be evidence of a private practice being prevalent is if it starts to become socially acceptable.

Charlottegirl

HSC
Besides, this discussion started by a mention of "old-fashioned guys"; this refers to a certain type of guy in the present who conforms to a certain ideal from the past. It's irrelevant whether or not this ideal was actually realized in broader society in past times, "old-fashioned" is just a way of describing the ideal itself.

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
Shuter said:
Do you know where the expression "rule of thumb" comes from?

It was a decree passed by Lord Blackstone in Britain, that a man could not beat his wife with an implement thicker than his thumb (insert innuendo here), sometime during the 19th century...

That just goes to show that the beating of wives was very much condoned at the time...

OS

Banned
HSC
Jago said:
kitchen bedroom kitchen bedroom kitchen bedroom.
And why should women be confined to this?? Why not have men and women play equal roles? On what rational evidence do you base the statement that women belong in the kitchen and bedroom and both of them are to share this role in their being in becoming ''partners''??

OS

Banned
HSC
Lhyviathan said:
Humour. Take the hint. Humour. Take the hint. Humour. Take the hint.
It's not humour - this whole thread is about women and how they should be ''compliant'' like they used to be in the good ol' days...

pinkblinkbarbie

seduce me
HSC
i think that you should define by what you mean "complient"
but from what youre saying, women are no longer 'complient' due to the fact that they feel so inferior to men, and didnt want to.
but i mean, i wouldnt mind be a house wife. i love cooking, cleaning etc. so i would love to be a house wife. but in some cases that isnt possible, if the husband doesnt earn enough money to feed a growing household, the women will get jobs to help, also to show their independence and that they dont need men to support them all their lives, since we spend from we are born till when we leave home being supported by our fathers. but now, with divorce and single parent families a lot more common, women dont experience the fatherly figure as much, and see that they are supposed to work and dont need men to help them.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
OS said:
And why should women be confined to this?? Why not have men and women play equal roles? On what rational evidence do you base the statement that women belong in the kitchen and bedroom and both of them are to share this role in their being in becoming ''partners''??
Women want sex. Men want sex. Lets have sex.

But apparently not before you get married :rolleyes:

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
OS said:
It's not humour - this whole thread is about women and how they should be ''compliant'' like they used to be in the good ol' days...
*slaps forehead* Gah... not dignifying that with an answer. If you're too DENSE to pick up on the non-serious nature of Jago's post then, by all means, get nice and offended.

pinkblinkbarbie said:
what you mean "complient"
I think it's meant to mean... the husband tells the wife to jump, and she asks: "how high...?"

Last edited:

OS

Banned
HSC
Lhyviathan said:
*slaps forehead* Gah... not dignifying that with an answer. If you're too DENSE to pick up on the non-serious nature of Jago's post then, by all means, get nice and offended.

I think it's meant to mean... the husband tells the wife to jump, and she asks: "how high...?"
Ok. But I see other ppl discussing it seriously. Ha, ha I'm a stupid woman and I am laughing! And ''transendent'', what's with the ''apparently not before marriage''??

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
About the whole gentlemen thing, you girls are so stupid. Everyone knows that you don't get sex from being a gentlemen! You get 'nice' things said to you, like "You're too nice to date."

You girls asking for gentlemen reminded me of this:
...the only conclusion I can form is that many girls are just illogical, manipulative bitches. Many of them claim they just want to date a nice guy, but when presented with such a specimen, they say irrational, confusing things such as “oh, he’s too nice to date” or “he would be a good boyfriend but he’s not for me” or “he already puts up with so much from me, I couldn’t possibly ask him out!” or the most frustrating of all: “no, it would ruin our friendship.” Yet, they continue to lament the lack of datable men in the world, and they expect their too-nice-to-date male friends to sympathize and apologize for the men that are jerks
http://www.stwing.upenn.edu/~jenf/writing/rant04.html

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
no a gentleman is someone who is a nice, charming, honest and decent guy.
as for sexuality, thats a completley different story.
gentleman + sex drive = perfect guy

transcendent

HSC
N/A
azzie said:
that didn't really work out for me, being a gentlemen. has it's draw backs.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
azzie said:
Hell no!

Gentlemen = boring and predictable

You can ALWAYS expect him to say something nice, you can ALWAYS expect him to buy things and you can ALWAYS expect him to put you above himself. I know that if i were a girl, I wouldn't want to go out with someone like that. You wouldnt even find his sex drive because you wouldve grown so bored that you wouldve dumped him.

Besides, I don't think you meant sex drive, I think you meant something about skills in bed, as EVERY guy has a sex drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)