What happens if you do better in your Assessment marks than your HSC? (1 Viewer)

the_one_1

HSC
What happens if you do well during the year and get a good Assessment mark but due to the HSC exams being difficult for you, you don't preform as well as in your Assessment marks.

Say, I got an Assessment mark of 79/100 and a HSC mark of 58/100 and was ranked 9/16 in Assessments, What will happen to my final HSC mark.

Or

I got 58/100 in Assessments and 53 in the HSC exam and ranked 78/172 after assessments, what will happen to my final HSC mark.

If I get better than my Assessment mark, what happens then like if I get 54 in Assessments and 62 in the HSC exam and ranked 91/163 after assessments what happens.

Do they take the average of the marks and create the Final HSC mark or does my Assessment mark drop dramatically.
What happens...?

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Your external mark gets aligned, and your internal mark gets moderated. Transferred in its raw form as your external mark then averaged with your internal, it needs to get aligned first.

the_one_1

HSC
Your external mark gets aligned, and your internal mark gets moderated. Transferred in its raw form as your external mark then averaged with your internal, it needs to get aligned first.
What happens if your internal marks are better than your external marks.

the_one_1

HSC
What happens in the moderation process and in the alignment process.

There must be a step by step guide to what happens somewhere.

the_one_1

HSC
Then it comes back to my previous question at what happens if your HSC exam marks are lower than your total assessment marks.

D94

HSC
N/A
Simply put, if your cohort's HSC exam marks with with say 80 and 90, then ALL your assessment marks will be moderated and aligned to a mark within 80 and 90.

If your cohort's HSC exam marks are within 60 and 80, then ALL your assessment marks with within 60 and 80.

Your assessment mark will depend on how far or close you are compared to your other peers. Your raw school assessment marks are moderated. That mark you achieved of 79/100 at school will change depend on how your school performed in the exams. Whether it will be higher or lower or the same - we don't know.

the_one_1

HSC
Simply put, if your cohort's HSC exam marks with with say 80 and 90, then ALL your assessment marks will be moderated and aligned to a mark within 80 and 90.

If your cohort's HSC exam marks are within 60 and 80, then ALL your assessment marks with within 60 and 80.

Your assessment mark will depend on how far or close you are compared to your other peers. Your raw school assessment marks are moderated. That mark you achieved of 79/100 at school will change depend on how your school performed in the exams. Whether it will be higher or lower or the same - we don't know.
From what I read http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html I think I got it.

There are a number of safeguards in place to ensure that all students are treated fairly by the moderation process. In particular, some students are initially excluded from the moderation of the assessments of their group. These include:

• students who had an upheld illness/misadventure appeal and a relatively poorer examination result than assessment result;
  • students whose performance in the examination is markedly below what was expected on the basis of their performance relative to the group in the assessment;
  • other special cases as determined by the Board.

Excluding these students means that their examination marks are not included when the school group mean, maximum and minimum are calculated. As a result, their aberrant examination performance does not affect the moderation of assessment marks for their school group. The moderated assessment for these students is determined after completing the moderation for the rest of the group. Such students are given a moderated assessment mark that befits their assessment position in the school group. Students with an upheld illness/misadventure appeal are then awarded their moderated assessment mark also as their examination mark if the latter mark is lower. All other students retain their own examination mark.
I'm guessing that they scale it in your favour if you do better in Assessments than the HSC in also accepting how your cohort does.

Am I right?

D94

HSC
N/A
From what I read http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html I think I got it.

I'm guessing that they scale it in your favour if you do better in Assessments than the HSC in also accepting how your cohort does.

Am I right?
No, that's not what it means. If your submitted raw school marks are say between 60% and 80% and you were on say 70%, and your exam mark is say in the 50s, then they 'might' take you out of your cohort's moderation calculations, and calculate your marks separately. It does not mean they will 'align' you higher, rather, ensure that your mark does not affect your cohort, so you will probably be left with a mark in the 50s, and then the rest of your cohort will have higher marks, regardless of rank.

the_one_1

HSC
No, that's not what it means. If your submitted raw school marks are say between 60% and 80% and you were on say 70%, and your exam mark is say in the 50s, then they 'might' take you out of your cohort's moderation calculations, and calculate your marks separately. It does not mean they will 'align' you higher, rather, ensure that your mark does not affect your cohort, so you will probably be left with a mark in the 50s, and then the rest of your cohort will have higher marks, regardless of rank.
So they take me out and I get my mark that I first got without being scaled with the rest of the cohort. If so, How does this affect my ATAR?

The two exams I didn't do well in were General Maths and Software but I have good assessment marks from them. I heard that people walked out of the Maths exam in my school and that people in Software were planning to also. I also know some people in software who don't do well (get 30s to 40s usually). Given this, that will mean I will still be aligned with the cohort and have most likely beaten/ranked higher than a few students. Am I right now?

Last edited:

the_one_1

HSC
Anyone else know what happens if I did better in my assessment marks than the HSC exams.

the_one_1

HSC

I've done some research and know what you mean. I seriously doubt my HSC marks will be pulled out from my cohort. If my cohort performs within my mark, shouldn't I be fine with my HSC mark. I did put a illness/misadventure due to missing out on a month of school because of being sick. Will this also affect it. The marks in the assessments were about 40-90 in the HSC exam it should be relatively similar with me getting 74 in assessments and 54 in the exam.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)