What is crystallisation of water? (1 Viewer)

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Can someone please help me understand this concept a bit more clearly?
As far as I know, it relates to water being chemically attached to other compounds (ionic, covalent?) whilst in its crystal structure (which is just ice?). Is this correct? How can H2O even be CHEMICALLY attached to another substance? T_T

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I am guessing it is something like frozen salt water? Or sugary water? Like ice-blocks.

The dipoles in the water molecules surround the cations and anions which have dissociated from something like salt. (When salt has been dissolved in water e.g. NaCl breaks up into Na+ and Cl- ions and the positive ends of the H2O molecule attract the Cl- ions whereas the negative ends of the H2O molecule attract the Na+ ions).
And then I guess it was frozen to form a crystalline structure.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
These are basic concepts you need to learn in Prelim. Look at your chem textbook.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Sometimes when a substance crystallises it has water molecules still attached to the ions, which is why for say chemical earth with gravimetric analysis, you had to heat up the salt beforehand to prevent inaccurate measurement of the mass of salt.

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
So from a different viewpoint, crystallisation of water can be viewed as ice with impurities in its lattice?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)