WHat is in limestone? (1 Viewer)

LaurenB

HSC
I can't find the equation for limestone is it CaHCO3? or CaCO3? and how does it react with carbonic acid? HELP!

Paroissien

HSC
Limestone is calcium carbonate CaCO3.
The other formula you have their appears to be calcium hydrogencarbonate. Not sure if it has a common name.
Why do you want to know how it reacts with carbonic acid?

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Limestone is CaCO<sub>3</sub>

It just pushes the reaction to the left ie.

CO<sub>2(g)</sub>+3H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>(l)</sub> <-----> CO<sub>2(aq)</sub>+3H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>(l)</sub> <-----> H<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3(aq)</sub>+2H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>(l)</sub> <-----> HCO<sub>3(aq)</sub><sup>-</sup>+H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>(l)</sub>+H<sub>3</sub>O<sub>(aq)</sub><sup>+</sup> <-----> CO<sub>3(aq)</sub><sup>2-</sup>+2H<sub>3</sub>O<sub>(aq)</sub><sup>+</sup>

If hte carbonate dissolves it pushes this equilibrium to the left as you increase the concentration. Which is what normally happens with an acid and carbonate (even if it only has very little solubility), the carbonate dissolves, it pushes it to the left, allowing more carbonate to dissolve etc.

Paroissien

HSC
Xayma said:
Limestone is CaCO<sub>3</sub>

It just pushes the reaction to the left ie.

CO<sub>2(g)</sub>+3H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>(l)</sub> <-----> CO<sub>2(aq)</sub>+3H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>(l)</sub> <-----> H<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3(aq)</sub>+2H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>(l)</sub> <-----> HCO<sub>3(aq)</sub><sup>-</sup>+H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>(l)</sub>+H<sub>3</sub>O<sub>(aq)</sub><sup>+</sup> <-----> CO<sub>3(aq)</sub><sup>2-</sup>+2H<sub>3</sub>O<sub>(aq)</sub><sup>+</sup>
That in the syllabus?

LaurenB

HSC
i just wanted it for acid rain, our teacher said it was a good example...another question...whats in limewater?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
You should know it.

Carbon dioxide dissolves, it will only be in negligible quantities in the next stage, then it forms H<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub> ie Carbonic acid which undergoes two step ionisation.

Paroissien

HSC
I could be wrong, but I'm quite sure for acid rain questions they will specifically ask you to refer to oxides of sulfur and nitrogen, and how they form acid rain.
I cannot see the need for knowing anything about carbonic acid in reference to acid rain.

smallcattle

HSC
limestone react with carbonic acid will get you calcium bicarbonate

CaCO3 + H2CO3 <-----> Ca(HCO3)2

i think @_@ or am I wrong again..

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
If it is dissolved in water yes.

The CO<sub>3</sub><sup>2-</sup> ion being a weak base.

grimreaper

HSC
I think the main equation that you might want to know involving limestone is

CaCO3 + H2SO4 --> Ca(2+) + SO4(2-) + CO2 + H2O

Thats for acid rain weathering limestone though

Last edited:

Paroissien

HSC
Yeah I have to agree. That is the only one I've come across while sticking to the syllabus

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well that is the main compenent of acid rain, rain is normally slightly acidic due to the carbonic acid.

Paroissien

HSC
True, but I've never seen a question referring to that, except for the multiple choice one. Every acid rain question I've seen refers to sulfur and nitrogen.
Correct me if I'm, wrong

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
No Carbon dioxide dissolving doesn't do much at all to the pH makes it about 5 or 6 I think. About the same as flat soft drink.

Paroissien

HSC
Nice, because at the moment I'm not worrying about anything that won't be in the exam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)