What is so good about being a virgin? (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
The idea of it being special is what I'm looking at. You gesture towards it being important and special but you don't have any tangible reasons for why. It being the physical expression of love, etc. is fine but why do you need to have marriage to have that love?
Most likely because marriage has become a cultural shorthand of sorts for certain cultures, of the singular, contractual and long relationship.

Why is it that we value certain things/experiences? Now why is it that these things/experiences are made that way. Its inherently a cultural phenomenon and one which Western society hasn't really continued to put any vested interests in.

As for the rest of crap in this thread, that's for you to sift through.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Tulipa said:
The idea of it being special is what I'm looking at. You gesture towards it being important and special but you don't have any tangible reasons for why. It being the physical expression of love, etc. is fine but why do you need to have marriage to have that love?

Wow you have shit friends. They should really use condoms/the pill. Also, five bucks says their pregnancy scares are when they're like two days late.
It comes down to peoples personal value system. If their value system works in the way that they believe they need marriage, or must wait, they don't need a tangible reason. Tell me you haven't or have done something for no tangible reason according to your personal value system?

And as Asylum just said, cultural belief is a factor too. This belief ties into their value system, as it is what they have learned and been taught from an early age.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Haha this thread is funny.

Every now and then when it's bumped we get the Christians and their replies and after a few pages someone plays the "it's just their own values" card and the "it's just a cultural" thing idea.

Tell me you haven't or have done something for no tangible reason according to your personal value system?
As long as it doesn't hurt someone else I do whatever I want. It's simple but it works for me. I also like logic and rationale. I don't do things for no reason.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
There isn't much of a logical explanation, other than that. Try and verify why people think it's special, other than it's what they have been taught, learned, or believe.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
AusBluesMan said:
There isn't much of a logical explanation, other than that. Try and verify why people think it's special, other than it's what they have been taught, learned, or believe.
Dude.

This thread has been going on three years. I don't think that's going to happen. Most of the people who come into this thread deal in vague abstractions.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
Haha this thread is funny.

Every now and then when it's bumped we get the Christians and their replies and after a few pages someone plays the "it's just their own values" card and the "it's just a cultural" thing idea.
I don't think its a defense of theirs more than an explanation for your question. Obviously you've come in with an agenda, you've incited the christians prompting a response, and there may be some who pull the relativist idea, but to group our responses is kinda stupid.

As long as it doesn't hurt someone else I do whatever I want. It's simple but it works for me. I also like logic and rationale. I don't do things for no reason.
But you do, you're just too blind to see. We all do, its the way we interact with society and culture, or are you saying you're immune to existing in culture or perhaps you're some sort of non-reductivist physicalist?

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
AsyLum said:
I don't think its a defense of theirs more than an explanation for your question. Obviously you've come in with an agenda, you've incited the christians prompting a response, and there may be some who pull the relativist idea, but to group our responses is kinda stupid.
Well duh I have an agenda. I asked a question and expected to get a solid answer. Which so far has either been related to religion, cultural values or vague assertions of it being special "because". My above post was a brief overview because it is funny how this goes in waves.

But you do, you're just too blind to see. We all do, its the way we interact with society and culture, or are you saying you're immune to existing in culture or perhaps you're some sort of non-reductivist physicalist?
New thread tiem.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Tulipa said:
Dude.

This thread has been going on three years. I don't think that's going to happen. Most of the people who come into this thread deal in vague abstractions.
Tulipa said:
Every now and then when it's bumped we get the Christians and their replies...
The christians respond, because their belief and therefore value system has been challenged, and they think they need to defend it. Look at the people who give definite answers, other than those who give vague answers. The people who give the vague answers have most likely adopted an online persona and you won't get much out of them.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
Well duh I have an agenda. I asked a question and expected to get a solid answer. Which so far has either been related to religion, cultural values or vague assertions of it being special "because". My above post was a brief overview because it is funny how this goes in waves.
And we did, because of cultural values/expectations.

Let's go into it deeper:

Virginity as a concept went as far back as Rome and Greece (afaik but could be predecessors) with the Vestal Virgins and the Greek understanding of it as a pious and moral virtue.

Now lets trace why this might be, entertain me as this is predominantly guess work, but working logically, virginity arose from a realisation, prior to medicinal beliefs, that sleeping around gave you STDs or some other negative effect. Say that then a decision was made to 'ban' such actions from happening, to minimise the risk of these negative effects. Now fast forward a few generations, this has been passed down as a practice but with the situation changing so that these negative effects are more or less non-existant in these future generations, the practice becomes somewhat obsolete or derided as old.

Now comes an epidemic, or some other sort of instance where they are again placed in a similar situation. Looking through the country-side, they see that the only people not affected are these people who still practice virginity and so it is seen as a way of offering a 'solution' or 'prevention' mechanism.

Now lets put this into the Early-Middle Ages, whereby the Church has now assumed a role of power and command. They as an institution see this solution and so implement something there which draws upon a previously held passage and then the act becomes enshrined not only in culture as a practical but also religious act.

This is vastly understating a possible history or understanding of it, but yeah.

lucy-bubs

HSC
Tulipa said:
Well? What is so wonderfully fantastic about being a virgin? Why is it such a pure and virtuous thing? and why are people so "Proud To Be A Virgin"?
SEX IS A WONDERFUL AND AMAZING THING
WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO BE A VIRGIN WHEN U CAN EXPERIENCE SOMETHING SO ENCHANTING WITH YOUR PARTNER

mikballs

HSC
Sure you can go out and do it with as many people as you want, give in to temptation and what not..
But I think that virgins hold their virginity as something so virtuous because sex is a very personal thing for some people. Sex could be something recreational, or it could be tied with love.

People may wish to 'hold out' till marriage because thats when they know its true love.

Man I must sound like a cheese dick..

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Lol. I think we covered the issue nicely. The explanations offered on these pages create a good understanding of this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)