What is society and culture bout (1 Viewer)

white_dove

Hey im in year ten n i picked society and culture for yr 11 partly cause that the only sub left and for some reason i really wanted to do it but i was wonderin what you learn in society and culture... apart from society and culture, thats what everyone says and it dont help much! so yea i'll appreicate it if ya tell me what kinda topics and stuff you learn
and do you get scaled down for society and culture?

thanks

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Topics in Year 11

The Social and Cultural World - introducing to the social terminologies used in Society and Culture
Personal and Social Identity - learning about yourself and others
Intercultural communication - leraning about one other cultures and why we have difficulty communicating with them

Year 12

The Personal Interest Project commences

Core topic Social and Cultural Continuity

Choose two of the below four topics:
Popular Culture
Belief Systems
Equality and Difference
Work and Leisure

Last edited:
J

jhakka

How easy would Work and Leisure been? Equality and Difference is straightforward, but Work and Leisure seems straightforward-er.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
i only did society and culture in year 11, with the false expectation that i would actually be learning real, meaty stuff about different cultures and how socities fucntion, and although you touch on that alittle, i felt as though year 11 was teaching me basically, how to become a good reseracher (mainly for the PIP, and for 'future investigations' you might have') but yeah, ive heard you learn alot better stuff in yr 12, like my school did case studies on Buddhism and China...but in the end i dropped it because the PIP was too much for me, with 13 units and all

J

jhakka

My PIP was done in the space of about three weeks. :p

But then again, my subjects weren't too bad homework-wise.

It's an easy course if you half half a brain and can get your name on the right line in the exam.

white_dove

oh oky thanks
i getcha now .
do you get marked down for it though?
its such a bummer my school deputy told us that things has changed that once u a pick a subject u cant drop it unless you pass the subject, u have 3 weeks to decide in yr 11 and then you're stuck with it and if u dont pass u cant drop it

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
IMHO drop it as soon as you can... it was fine in year 11 (at my school anyway) but then come year 12... it was like medevil torture... only in a class room and without the physical pain... so really it wasn't so medievil....

but once again... get out while you still can...

Not to scare you or anything!

J

jhakka

I found the lack of intelligence in the room physically painful. The course was easy marks for me, though. Worth the pain.

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
I think in my class I contributed to the "lack of intelligence" group... though it's switched around in Ancient History.

J

jhakka

If something intelligent comes out of your mouth when you open it, you're not in the lack of intelligence group. The lack of intelligence group is made up of those who only come to school to be babysat and really don't care about their own learning or the learning of others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)