what is the best way to study for...? (1 Viewer)

anulik

HSC
Hi BOSers,
its time to start year 12. I am really motivated,I study hard, and aim for a really high ATAR. However I need some advise in order to achieve maximum results. My school is ranked very low,byt anyway I know that it doesnt matter, I am gonna rely on myself. But I have got some problems, and if you know how to deal with them, advice is really appreciated..so
1) I am doing all 3 sciences, but my teachers are noot good enough...Chemistry and physics are the worst. In chem we even dont do all our experiments, he doesnt explain any lesson at all, and he cant manage time, so last topic we did in 2 weeks :( Thats why I have to study everything by myself, but the problem is that he doesnt want to check even past papers that I have done. So what do u advice me to do? IS it right to complain to principal, and what will change after that? Is there any chance, if only I complain from my class?
2) same thing, in physics. Everyone in my class is in a very low standard, even no one pass in half yearly...Teacher just kills the time, and he doesnt really understand the theory. I want to study but dont know what is ths he most effective way./?
3)How to manage to do all maths 3 unit and 4 unit, if we havent even finish doing year 11 3 unit course//?
4) english is my second language, and I need really to improve my writing skills in a year. Although I am first in standard, but I know I need to improve my vocabulary, for creative writring. But how??

Thanks for reading my long long storm of problems... Looks like that I am complaining about everything, but its not true, I just dont want to wake up when its too late...

So what would you advise me to do?

Johanist

HSC
I Don't really know about the first two, but one thing that will definetly help you with self-study would be to closely follow the dot points--all of the dot points, and write notes on them. For the practicals i suggest that you find a textbook which goes through the practicals and study them, I believe that in the Yr 11 Prelim course the book Jacaranda does this very good and if you stick close to that book you should be doing fine..

Another way to approach the Physic's and Chemistry problem would be to go to a tutor or something

For the Maths 3U and 4U the maths course for Yr 11 is different in all schools but the whole course is the same so theres no finish in Yr 11 as the HSC tests on both years on maths.

For the english question, a good way to increase your vocabulary could be to play crosswords, internet vocab games. An efficient way to help creative writing would be to read lots of books maybe like 1 a month if you can't handle a lot, the key thing is to anaylse the techniques the composer has used and how he effectively expressed the concept within his text. Also keep a dictionary in hand when reading to check up on any words that you don't understand. Additionally, you could just rewrite creative writting pieces and just check them over and ask someone that you think is good to cross-check or just hand it to a teacher.

Overall, you shouldn't be this worried when Year 12 hasen't even started since most schools probably will just finish the courses very near the end of term just before the HSC, and if your worrying now, by then you might.. well lets just leave it you'll be a lot worse.

HSC
Overall, you shouldn't be this worried when Year 12 hasen't even started since most schools probably will just finish the courses very near the end of term just before the HSC,
Don't worry about this. We didn't finish Ancient History until stuvac - we had to go in for three full days in the break to finish the syllabus. No one complained, and we all did really well.
It is not necessarily a sign of a bad teacher.

anulik

HSC
Thanks for advises!!! I will try not to worry much...
I just wanna ask, how to manage time with maths. I mean how long do I have to do maths a day. What is the best way to study for 4unit maths, and is it really possible to self teach?

Johanist

HSC
Thanks for advises!!! I will try not to worry much...
I just wanna ask, how to manage time with maths. I mean how long do I have to do maths a day. What is the best way to study for 4unit maths, and is it really possible to self teach?
The best way would be to do past papers, then exercises on the topics that you didn't do so well in, I don't really know about self-teaching but if your diligent enough you should be able to go fine.. but you will really need someone else's insight into many concepts of 4U. About time management, it varies among people, some do loads of past papers and exercises but still don't understand the concept all that well while others just do a handful and understand the concept. It all depends on you and how much you think you need to apply yourself to the course. I for example do last day cramming for my exams, I do about 7 past papers on the night before the test and go in the test getting like 90%+ while my friend studies for weeks and makes careless mistakes which makes him get lower than me..

During the HSC it is suggested that about 60% of your study time shoudl be on your math units. So, go along with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)