What is the maximum number of units can a student do in a semester? (1 Viewer)

radio-waves

HSC
:) Well I was thinkin, if someone failed a subject they would have to repeat it some time along their degree period.

When EXACTLY do they repeat that subject, is it towards the end of the degree or FIRST year back i.e semester one all over ?

Thanks for your time =]

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
if its a core course that is a prereq for all your future courses you will have to repeat it asap, granted its offered the next semester. If its an elective you can pick something else or repeat it some time down the road.

The maximum number of courses you can attempt in a semester might vary from uni to uni. Typically at UNSW you do 4 courses (6 UOC each) a semester and if you gain permission, you can overload by doing 5 or 6 courses.

decypher

HSC
The above is true @ UOW too. Except you can do 5 subjects per session without acadamic approval.

Oxbridge

HSC
N/A
There are loopholes to the rule, for example last semester I did seven subjects, same with this semester, but next semester I am doing 8 subjects spread over three degrees and two different unis. The point I am trying to make is that there are loopholes in that the universities are only aware of the workload that students are undertaking at THEIR university, therefore allowing you to 'overload' at another uni! This may come in handy for you if you can undertake your 'make up' course at another Uni and gain credit for it at your first uni (ie. instead of waiting another semester it may be available now at the other uni)!
Lifes complicated:)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
There are loopholes to the rule, for example last semester I did seven subjects, same with this semester, but next semester I am doing 8 subjects spread over three degrees and two different unis. The point I am trying to make is that there are loopholes in that the universities are only aware of the workload that students are undertaking at THEIR university, therefore allowing you to 'overload' at another uni! This may come in handy for you if you can undertake your 'make up' course at another Uni and gain credit for it at your first uni (ie. instead of waiting another semester it may be available now at the other uni)!
Lifes complicated:)
a) why do seven/eight units?

b) why do it over two unis? What happens when there are inevitable exam/assignment clashes? You would need to be at Cambridge or Oxford to work it out.

Oxbridge

HSC
N/A
a) why do seven/eight units?

b) why do it over two unis? What happens when there are inevitable exam/assignment clashes? You would need to be at Cambridge or Oxford to work it out.
a) 'Mad dogs and Englishmen'... Naturally they won't let you do that heavy a workload at the one uni, given that the uni's are side by side it makes it somewhat easier. Also, I believe doing the three makes one more employable (esp. with the current economic uncertainties)

b) So far, 'touch wood', I have never had an exam clash, although that will no doubt happen in the future. Assignments regularly clash and readings mount up. In terms of the assignments it's just a case of completing some before the deadline, however at times you can start to 'churn' out assignments like a factory! I feel it's case of putting 75% of your eggs in the one basket whilst distributing the rest into another (ie. if you are doing a degree such as Law, accounting etc and combining it with Int. Studies, Arts etc then the relative ease of the latter is the lesser of the two evils). By prioritising the workload it is achievable. Planning the timetable at the start of the semester requires more logistics than the postal service! and is where all the grey hairs start to spring up!

Suic1de

Banned
HSC
My mate completed his 4 year degree in 1 year.

All of you people are just terrible at learning.

izzy88

HSC
Law, International Studies, and 'Urban and Regional Planning'. If I'm going to have a HECS debt I might as well do it in style!:)
impressive!- but i have a query in relation to the HECS debt (just trying to equate with my knowledge of the system)- isn't HECS debts limited now? ie. it basically equates to seven years full time study that the government supports you for, and after that your on your own? - with that in mind, won't you run out of HECS support for the units before you finish all the degrees?

(sorry, i know its so off topic to the original thread!)

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
you can probably apply for a loan, but thats all i know

HSC
impressive!- but i have a query in relation to the HECS debt (just trying to equate with my knowledge of the system)- isn't HECS debts limited now? ie. it basically equates to seven years full time study that the government supports you for, and after that your on your own? - with that in mind, won't you run out of HECS support for the units before you finish all the degrees?

(sorry, i know its so off topic to the original thread!)
If you've exhausted your 7 years FTE on HECS then you'll probably start relying on FEE-HELP - with a limit of $81,000ish and $102,000ish for med, dentistry and such.

Though i highly doubt anyone could use up both HECS and FEE-HELP, it would be quite lol

v4g1n4

HSC
N/A
That to me sounds like such a soulless way to go about uni. Surely you'd never be able to really get into a course (you'd be hard pressed to do the basic readings at best). You'd just be churning out essays with no real appreciation for your chosen subjects.

One of the best academic experiences I've had so far was taking a subject in summer school. It was amazing. The course was taken by my favourite lecturer ever and there were less than 10 of us doing the subject. It was the only summer school subject I was doing and I managed to do all the required reading, all the additional reccomended readings as well as get through a whole pile of further reading material from the lecturer. That never, repeat never, happens during the normal semester.

For the OP: You can repeat some (some, not all) subjects by taking them in summer/winter school. Summer school courses aren't on HECS or FEE-HELP though so you have to be ok with being a university cash cow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)