What is the most interesting HSC science course (1 Viewer)

What is the best, most interesting Year 12 HSC science course?

• Biology

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Chemistry

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Earth and Environmental Science

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Physics

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Senior Science

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters

Schoey93

HSC
Well I think that the history and philosophy of science should be valued as a part of the study of science. I agree though that it should not feature so heavily in the HSC science courses. Can we get back on topic? Have any of the recent posters actually read the thread's title?

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I believe Chemistry is more interesting than Physics. In chemistry you learn more about applicaitons to the real world, and it is also more interactive. Physics has lots of calculations, if thats your thing.

I found the physics wankery over Planck vs Einstein, ethical implications of nuclear discoveries and wankery over Von Braun very interesting.

Likewise, I found parts of Fritz Haber's involvement in WWII extremely fascinating.

Chemistry had more interesting pracs (where you made useful things) and the entire Industrial Chemistry option was throughly captivating. I also liked the Quanta to Quarks option for Physics, even though it was strongly intertwined with history.

Argh, I can't decide. But Chemistry overall was more enjoyable for me.

Schoey93

HSC
I believe Chemistry is more interesting than Physics. In chemistry you learn more about applicaitons to the real world, and it is also more interactive. Physics has lots of calculations, if thats your thing.

I found the physics wankery over Planck vs Einstein, ethical implications of nuclear discoveries and wankery over Von Braun very interesting.

Likewise, I found parts of Fritz Haber's involvement in WWII extremely fascinating.

Chemistry had more interesting pracs (where you made useful things) and the entire Industrial Chemistry option was throughly captivating. I also liked the Quanta to Quarks option for Physics, even though it was strongly intertwined with history.

Argh, I can't decide. But Chemistry overall was more enjoyable for me.
I'll take that as sarcasm. Actually, I'll take your entire post as sarcasm. Did you actually enjoy either of those science courses?

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I'll take that as sarcasm. Actually, I'll take your entire post as sarcasm. Did you actually enjoy either of those science courses?
I'm honest. What makes you think i'm being sarcastic?

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Schoey, please stop being a noob 2011'er pretending like you know anything about HSC science or science in general. If all we studied was the history of science our scientific progress would be limited.
Please jump of the nearest cliff

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Schoey, please stop being a noob 2011'er pretending like you know anything about HSC science or science in general. If all we studied was the history of science our scientific progress would be limited.
Troll detected

bio_nut

HSC
Troll detected
Yet he speaks the truth.

Back on topic, I enjpyed Biology the most. Even though the course was far too easy and unless you are an idiot a guaranteed band 6.

Lol at the OP not wanting to choose English because he's worried it has been dumbed down.

Ummm, you're doing Hospitality. Say bye bye UAI (damn ATAR doesn't rhyme)

Schoey93

HSC
No. I was not suggesting that all we study be the history of our scientific progress. I was suggesting that the history and philosophy of science should be a small part of the study of science. I don't know much about science, but I do know a little bit about it.

Someone said that I should say, "Bye bye UAI" because I'm doing hospitality. Well, I have other subjects as well. 10 units of them. And I don't remember saying that I didn't want to study English. I said it looks boring.

stefgi32

Meh
HSC
N/A
I think that biology is under-rated. I have seen the conepts explored in 'Maintaining a Balance' and there is much more to learn than "how animals urinate and the reason for urinating". Why would that be boring, anyway?
That does sound very interesting...its a shame we're not learning that in our year 12 Biology, Maintaining a Balance course but we're expected to do this project on blood and play with potatos.....my bio teacher sucks shit. =/ If were learning about how animals urinated, I'd find that quite interesting.

Earth & Environmental Science is also very interesting..can't believe no one has voted for it yet.

bio_nut

HSC
No. I was not suggesting that all we study be the history of our scientific progress. I was suggesting that the history and philosophy of science should be a small part of the study of science. I don't know much about science, but I do know a little bit about it.

Someone said that I should say, "Bye bye UAI" because I'm doing hospitality. Well, I have other subjects as well. 10 units of them. And I don't remember saying that I didn't want to study English. I said it looks boring.
If you want to get into the health sciences, why the hell are you doing hosp instead of maths???

Schoey93

HSC
I feel that I will be more interested and focused in hospitality than in maths, that's why. I have other ideas about what I want to do too - health sciences is not the only area I'm interested in. I'm interested in medicine, nursing, health sciences and veterinary nursing (I don't favour any one area other another).

If you look at the assumed knowledge subjects for health sciences, maths doesn't seem to come up much. For physiotherapy chemistry and physics are assumed knowledge (though I was told by someone doing the course that they aren't actually required), exercise science has chemistry as assumed knowledge and occupational therapy does not have any assumed knowledge.

bio_nut

HSC
Hospitality is for people who don't go to uni generally. It just seems odd. Not to mention it's normally full of the dumb girls.

micuzzo

HSC
Hospitality is for people who don't go to uni generally. It just seems odd. Not to mention it's normally full of the dumb girls.
What an absurd generalisation...

I feel that I will be more interested and focused in hospitality than in maths, that's why. I have other ideas about what I want to do too - health sciences is not the only area I'm interested in. I'm interested in medicine, nursing, health sciences and veterinary nursing (I don't favour any one area other another).

If you look at the assumed knowledge subjects for health sciences, maths doesn't seem to come up much. For physiotherapy chemistry and physics are assumed knowledge (though I was told by someone doing the course that they aren't actually required), exercise science has chemistry as assumed knowledge and occupational therapy does not have any assumed knowledge.
buddy ur in yr10... take schooling as it comes... do the courses that u want to do and stop complecating things for yourself.

Schoey93

HSC
Be awesome and don't do any sciences.
You're an idiot. You do 4U Mathematics, which is considered by most academic communities (i.e. universities) to be a science! However, maths is also an art. :)

I have examined textbooks for each preliminary and HSC science course, except for Earth and Environmental Science, which only dweebs seem to care about. :D

I have come to the conclusion that OUTSIDE of high school, physics is the best albeit most mathematical science, as it is according to UNSW and science teachers "the fundamental science" - it underpins all other science (except mathematics: physics makes use of maths but does not underpin it).

Purely at preliminary and HSC level, I have to say that Biology is the most interesting and practical, surgical science, e.g. you get to dissect a rat in prelim and brains and eyes in HSC if you do Communication. So if you don't flinch at the site of blood, I think almost anyone could agree that the best practicals are found in HSC Bio.

And oh, genetics! The maths that is required for hardcore genetics (not HSC-level) is mind-numbing, mind-blowing! Even at HSC level, a good Blueprint of Life question gets my mind chugging and makes me feel satisfied when I solve it. Genetics is lacking from the other courses, as is information about the human body...

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Be awesome and don't do any sciences.
You're a retard.

Physics is the most beautiful science, it simply amazes you. But in high school, they water it down and take all the mathematics out of it, so it just becomes another soft science... So I'd say chemistry.

Schoey93

HSC
DUDE read what I said. To quote myself: "I have come to the conclusion that OUTSIDE of high school, physics is the best albeit most mathematical science".

Many students would agree that the HSC course in its own right is too dumbed down to amaze you, although flicking through textbooks of Physics (Jacaranda prelim + jac HSC) I deeply regretted not choosing physics.

It just didn't gel with my other subjects, and call me weird, but that's important to me: subjects that feel right, aren't overly dumbed down (bar Hospitality) and subjects that inter-relate (Bio+PE). :)

I'm going to positive rep you for agreeing that physics is the most beautiful science, but please don't call me a retard again, boofhead :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)