What is this bs about graduate salaries? (1 Viewer)

SpLaTHoWA

Bite me.
HSC
ioniser said:
But you can go through life with stuffed teeth it worked for people a 1000 years ago.
of course unless you die early from a worsening dental abscess due to stuffed teeth

actually truth is, people from 1000 years ago might have had better teeth than some of us since they didnt have a lot of the refined sugars that cause dental decay... go figure

in that same vein, we can blame engineers for tooth decay by making machines for mass production of junk food :rofl:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hahah what a flawed argument. How can you comapare a dentist to a civil engineer. Obviously the dentist is more important for society.

dddman forgets about private health care companies.

turtleface

HSC
Dentists are obviously important, as are all professionals, but to suggest it is more important than engineers for society is a fallacy i think

edit: poor dddman, got banned for that muslim video i think
bah@ censorship

Last edited:

ioniser

HSC
velox said:
Hahah what a flawed argument. How can you comapare a dentist to a civil engineer. Obviously the dentist is more important for society.

dddman forgets about private health care companies.

You seem to forget that the technology that dentist use were created by engineers .Which thus has allowed dentist to help people faster and more efficent on the mass scale of the population

ioniser

HSC
SpLaTHoWA said:
in that same vein, we can blame engineers for tooth decay by making machines for mass production of junk food :rofl:
hahahahahahaha

I guess so but it works both ways,people want the sugars which us engineers help make the distribution possible while we bring you dentists more patients,more patients means more business hahahahahahahahahah

turtleface

HSC
Almost all engineers with >6-7 years experience is looking at at least 100K

some Mining Engineers and some Chemical engineers start at 100K on graduation

a lot of engineers are CEOs as well, possibly even more than Accountants (definately more than accountants in the US), and noone beats them for salary.

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
dora_18 said:
I dont understand when people say"money doesn't make me happy", i think there is a distinct difference between not having money and having it: being able to walk into a place and buy things you really want or travel where you want instead of having to save every last dollar you have in order to barley scrape through rent and bills.

I mean i realise there are medial points in there as well, its not one situation or the other..but still

It's a shame things like that don't make you happy...as you said yourself i mean you'll have a high graduate salary-civil engineering and all.
I think what he means is that there would be no difference to him between earning 50k [ which is plenty to own a house a car, buy food and raise a family with] and 200k. I sort of feel the same way. More money means you can buy nicer things, but beyond a certain point, it isnt going to make you happier. Or maybe thats just how i feel, i dunno.

p.s maslow is bs, they breifly mentioned it in one of our first lectures, just in the same way as lamark is mentioned in anhy basic rundown on evolution. There are about 7 or so highly controversial motivation theories, but the truth is no1 really knows what motivates us, and untill we get some better technoledgy it will be hard to investigate.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Serius said:
I think what he means is that there would be no difference to him between earning 50k [ which is plenty to own a house a car, buy food and raise a family with] and 200k.
Not really, you can't do much with 50k in Sydney right now, unless you want to live in a fringe surburb far out from the CBD.

Ted Turner did say that you don't need more than 200 million in life.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Templar said:
In terms of money, both ends of the equation is not a good position to be in. If what you love to do will return a pay that you could barely live off, then it wouldn't be enjoyable. Similarly regardless of how much you earn, if you don't even have time to use it, it just becomes a pile of useless plastic (or magnetic fields, in terms of electronic).

The survey presents a statistical synopsis on graduate salaries. It is clear in what kind of information it contains, and more importantly, doesn't contain. How the data is used is up to the end user. Obviously incorrect analysis of the data would result in misleading information.

A certain job might earn a lot, but if places are so limited it's almost impossible to get in then it is largely irrelevant. Also, if a career does not provide stable employment then the extra starting salary might not compensate for that (both in financial and psychological terms).

In the end, the data is pretty clear. Use as you see fit.
Tell that to 'Robert Frost', you ass-hat! he chose the road less travelled by, and I quote "and that made all the difference."

Are you trying to suggest you know more then Robert Frost? (yah, Didn't think so)

ioniser

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:

he said you should be looking at 100k,after 5 years in the engineering industry you would be classified as a stage 5 engineer which is as far as engineering ranks go and you have attained enough skills to manage a team of engineers in a project.Which is pretty much project engineering,engineering manager.........etc where your salary will be around 100k .

turtleface

HSC
^ Yeh

I don't think I've ever seen a Project Manager's position be advertised for anything lower than 100K

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)