What marks are considered GOOD in law school? (1 Viewer)

Camleigh

HSC
What averages should you be getting in each subject in order to get accepted by mid-tier firms when it's clerkship season?

HSC
high credit at least

some work experience is also helpful...particularly in law...but non law is just fine, shows you can balance uni and work wtc.

BOSnewbie

HSC
high credit at least

some work experience is also helpful...particularly in law...but non law is just fine, shows you can balance uni and work wtc.
My uni uses a different grading system, but Credit, as I understand it, would be about 60-69.

I'd tend to agree with hiphoppresident - you can get a clerkship at a top tier with a low 70s average for law, so I guess with a mid tier high 60s may be sufficient. But certainly try to aim for a 70+ (Distinction), as that would give you a bit more security I'd say.

Also depends on your uni overall though - these marks are references for the top law schools (Melb / Monash in VIC); at the second tier law schools they might require higher marks to compensate.

The extra-curricular / work experience (even if non-law) point is also true, e.g. I got into a top tier firm with retail and call centre work.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
My uni uses a different grading system, but Credit, as I understand it, would be about 60-69.

I'd tend to agree with hiphoppresident - you can get a clerkship at a top tier with a low 70s average for law, so I guess with a mid tier high 60s may be sufficient. But certainly try to aim for a 70+ (Distinction), as that would give you a bit more security I'd say.

Also depends on your uni overall though - these marks are references for the top law schools (Melb / Monash in VIC); at the second tier law schools they might require higher marks to compensate.

The extra-curricular / work experience (even if non-law) point is also true, e.g. I got into a top tier firm with retail and call centre work.
Just to clarify credit = 65-74

LA88

HSC
I'd tend to agree with hiphoppresident - you can get a clerkship at a top tier with a low 70s average for law
You mean mid tier, don't you? For a top-tier you should be on your way to first class honours.

DeVenne

HSC
N/A
^^^^ Why does everyone think this?

I know people with credit averages who work in top tier firms, there are so many misconceptions regarding employment in top tier firms!

LA88

HSC
^^^^ Why does everyone think this?
Because it's true? If you want a summer clerkship in a top-tier firm in today's post-GFC market, you'll need a distinction average. In my experience, people without a distinction average are exceptions to the rule, rather than indicative of a general trend.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Depends on your aspiration.
It feels discouraging though to read the clerkship thread where some people with awesome marks (good Ds) and work experience get rejected by so many law firms.

*jellz*

HSC
Depends on your aspiration.
It feels discouraging though to read the clerkship thread where some people with awesome marks (good Ds) and work experience get rejected by so many law firms.
Yup, here lies the problem. Getting good marks (btw I would say no matter where you want to work, aim for 75+ to be on the safe side) will only get you an interview. In order to seal the deal you need to have an excellent resume, then blitz the interview, and possibly demonstrate your claim to "highly developed interpersonal skills" at a cocktail party or another event. I know someone who got through two rounds of interviews, only to miss out because she was too shy at the cocktail party. Think of marks as just the first of many selection processes. Your social skills, confidence and general likability matter just as much.

HSC
I worked at a top tier firm n med tier firm for a few Yrs as a paralegal.I had this conversation with a few of the lawyers n director they said experience plays a vital role, so if u have work exp + credits + distinctions, I think you'd Prob get into a med tier firm.

Firms (some) look at it this way.. Uni students... There are millions applying for jobs at the same time once graduated n have all the theory but are lost when working in a law firm so anyone with Legal work exp. has an advantage. I would suggest just to help urself try get work exp.

Camleigh

HSC
I worked at a top tier firm n med tier firm for a few Yrs as a paralegal.I had this conversation with a few of the lawyers n director they said experience plays a vital role, so if u have work exp + credits + distinctions, I think you'd Prob get into a med tier firm.

Firms (some) look at it this way.. Uni students... There are millions applying for jobs at the same time once graduated n have all the theory but are lost when working in a law firm so anyone with work has an advantage. I would suggest just to help urself try get work exp.
Thanks for that :) I'm really trying for that as well. I'm actually about to undertake some work experience in the Crockett Chambers...it's only for five days but it's a start. I've also done a week at a friend's firm and I have another week at a lawyer's office lined up at the end of the year.

I'm also seeking voluntary work with the Department of Justice, so I hope to get contacted by them!

HSC
Thanks for that :) I'm really trying for that as well. I'm actually about to undertake some work experience in the Crockett Chambers...it's only for five days but it's a start. I've also done a week at a friend's firm and I have another week at a lawyer's office lined up at the end of the year.

I'm also seeking voluntary work with the Department of Justice, so I hope to get contacted by them!
creds to ya! That's great! Try get as much as u can it will benefit u in the end :) best of luck! :)

BOSnewbie

HSC
In the end I think what marks are considered good depends on which law school you go to.

Melsc corrected my definition of Credit, which was based on what I know to be the range at one other Victorian univeristy (not sure about the rest). My university does not use a 'High Distinction / Distinction / Credit' grading system.

But in the end it doesn't matter, because even with the numerical marks, it varies from law school to law school.

I know of plenty of people with 70-75 averages who work at the top-tiers from my university. 75+ is great, but from my university, a 75+ is enough to get you into the Magic Circle firms internationally (think Linklaters, Freshfields, Allen & Overy etc) which are even more competitive than the local top-tiers.

In short, what marks are considered good depends on your law school.

HSC
My Torts tutor told us 70% is enough

Allens Arthur HR lady said high credit at least

go figure!!

everything is hazy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)