What marks would I need to get a 60-65 ATAR? (ranks and internal marks within) Help! (1 Viewer)

jonny94

HSC
As the title says, what should I be aiming for? Thanks, im stressing so much... urgh

English Standard: 98/111
Ancient History: 26/30
Business Studies: 41/44
Design Technology: 11/12
Automotive TVET: 4/12

School Rank: mid 140's

Marks:

English Standard: 33%
Ancient History: 31%
Business Studies: 36%
Design Technology: 37%
Automotive TVET: 100% of marks is from externals, ive been getting 80%+ in tests though.

jonny94

HSC
Re: What marks would I need to get a 60-65 ATAR? (ranks and internal marks within) He

No one? :(

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
If you do well in externals?

It's not looking good tbh.

You seem like you're in the bottom 10 at a school that isn't wonderfully ranked so you're probably looking at less than 50 at the moment.

jonny94

HSC
Re: What marks would I need to get a 60-65 ATAR? (ranks and internal marks within) He

If you do well in externals?

It's not looking good tbh.

You seem like you're in the bottom 10 at a school that isn't wonderfully ranked so you're probably looking at less than 50 at the moment.
Thanks for the reply.

What if I got the following marks in my externals?

English Standard: 70%
Ancient History: 60%
Business Studies: 75%
Design Technology: 85%
Automotive TVET: 85-90%

xDarkSilent

HSC
Uni Grad

You shouldnt worry about what you are going to get .
You should get off the computer and study your ass off in these final 17 days .
You can bring your internal mark up if you do extremely well in your externals.
Just study hard, all you can hope for.

jonny94

HSC

You shouldnt worry about what you are going to get .
You should get off the computer and study your ass off in these final 17 days .
You can bring your internal mark up if you do extremely well in your externals.
Just study hard, all you can hope for.
Im just curious to see what my potential is. Urgh, now i regret not taking school seriously.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the reply.

What if I got the following marks in my externals?

English Standard: 70%
Ancient History: 60%
Business Studies: 75%
Design Technology: 85%
Automotive TVET: 85-90%
you won't.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You say "what if I get those marks?" but you won't so what's the point in me answering?

jonny94

HSC

You say "what if I get those marks?" but you won't so what's the point in me answering?
I dont understand what you mean, Im meant if I got those marks in my externals how will it affect my ATAR.

Lachy4

HSC
N/A

Your school assessment marks could be scaled up a lot if the 'bottom group' of students, including you, get much better marks in the HSC exam. That is why they are called moderated marks. So, in order to get those marks, you need to be studying rather than speculating - and help your classmates too. You could still get an ATAR in the 60s.

Rohanco

HSC

I dont understand what you mean, Im meant if I got those marks in my externals how will it affect my ATAR.
What he's saying is, based on your performance through out the year, the chances of you scoring those marks in your externals is next to impossible. I know it sounds harsh but it's the truth. Even if you were able to score 70 - 80 in all your Externals, a combination of your school's rank and your assessment ranks would still significantly way your ATAR back down. This happened to a guy I knew at my school (ranked about the same as yours), he was in a similar position as you before his HSC exams, but with an incredible effort he managed to score 70+ in all his externals. Unfortunately our school being ranked 300 and his poor external marks still managed to scale his ATAR down to a below 30 'mystery mark'.

However what you have achieved in your TVET course is really quite impressive. Honestly if I were you I would be seriously considering pursuing it further in TAFE next year. Have you considered an apprenticeship at all? It seems like you'd be very good at it. remember Uni isn't for everyone. The thought shared by some individuals that any other form of education apart from Uni is of lower class, is both prejudice and ill-informed.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A

Basically informing you that it would be "impossible" for you to attain such marks in the finals. Provided that your school rank is relatively low and you are currently sitting pretty much at the bottom of your year group (averaging ~ 30%) indicates that it's not realistic to get up to 70%. Maybe from 30% → 50% would sound more realistic, but still due to those 'horrible ranks' it would drag you down. If you're extremely lucky you might get ATAR in the high 50's.

jonny94

HSC

What he's saying is, based on your performance through out the year, the chances of you scoring those marks in your externals is next to impossible. I know it sounds harsh but it's the truth. Even if you were able to score 70 - 80 in all your Externals, a combination of your school's rank and your assessment ranks would still significantly way your ATAR back down. This happened to a guy I knew at my school (ranked about the same as yours), he was in a similar position as you before his HSC exams, but with an incredible effort he managed to score 70+ in all his externals. Unfortunately our school being ranked 300 and his poor external marks still managed to scale his ATAR down to a below 30 'mystery mark'.

However what you have achieved in your TVET course is really quite impressive. Honestly if I were you I would be seriously considering pursuing it further in TAFE next year. Have you considered an apprenticeship at all? It seems like you'd be very good at it. remember Uni isn't for everyone. The thought shared by some individuals that any other form of education apart from Uni is of lower class, is both prejudice and ill-informed.

Good luck
My schools rank is 140, not 300 so its already significantly better. But what you and others dont know is that those marks are due to me being lazy and not caring about my internals. I was hit pretty late with the realization that I should take school seriously. Even in my school report, every teacher commented "Jon has shown glimpses of potential to get higher grades" and such so I know I can get those marks. It was only my fault for not caring as such, its not like I tried my best and achieved those marks. Most of the time I left pages blank cause I just wasnt bothered. I know it sounds dumb, and it is but Ive finally realized that I should have got my game together earlier.

The TVET course is really simple. I dont want to go to tafe, as I already have a career in mind. I want to do Industrial Design at UWS which requires a 65 ATAR (I get 5 regional bonus points so I need a 60 ATAR) so hopefully that will give me some motivation.

Basically informing you that it would be "impossible" for you to attain such marks in the finals. Provided that your school rank is relatively low and you are currently sitting pretty much at the bottom of your year group (averaging ~ 30%) indicates that it's not realistic to get up to 70%. Maybe from 30% → 50% would sound more realistic, but still due to those 'horrible ranks' it would drag you down. If you're extremely lucky you might get ATAR in the high 50's.
As said before, its not like I tried my best and got those ranks/marks. I did my Trials with no study but I did take the tests seriously and I pass all my subjects and got the highest mark in one of the english modules in my class. So I know I have the potential of getting those specific marks.

So all Im looking for is that if I get those marks in the externals, how will it affect my ATAR?

Last edited:

Lachy4

HSC
N/A

Your internal marks don't really matter. They will be moderated according to your cohort's performance.
As I already said, although your ranks have let you down, it's still possible to get close to 60.
This video may be worth watching www.vimeo.com/47236108
Just get studying!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)