what motivates u to read books (1 Viewer)

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
i have a 350 page book to read. Also, I personally hate reading books and cannot focus on them properly. Any suggestions on how to finish reading this book? I haven't even started :mad1:
but i hope i finish it by the end of the holidays :burn:
yes...i am a procrastinator

LordPc

HSC
i have a 350 page book to read. Also, I personally hate reading books and cannot focus on them properly. Any suggestions on how to finish reading this book? I haven't even started :mad1:
but i hope i finish it by the end of the holidays :burn:
yes...i am a procrastinator
chapter when you wake up, chapter when you go to bed and a chapter when you take a dump.

if the book turns out to actually be good, then you will naturally read 2 or 3 chapters instead of 1 each time.

x-Manda-x

HSC
Depends on the genre, and if it is really interesting. Most interesting books I won't need to struggle to read each page, because my mind will be so interested in the book, that before I know it the book will be complete.

However, if a book is boring (like most have been this year in english) I just push through and struggle to read it, one thing that motivates me is "I need to read this book, I have to read this" Especially for english in years 11 and 12, you have to read it for assessments and exams, that usually will help me finish a book I really despise + the quicker its read the no longer I have to suffer.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
agreed with tim. Just get a hold of a good book and read - best source of motivation...

IF NOT, just force yourself to read few pages a day - make yourself a chore...that's the only way really

autumn-bird

HSC
You could try rewarding yourself with a treat after reading a chapter or (if chapter is horrendously long) a set amount of pages... treat could be a chocolate bar/internet surfing for 15 minutes/whatever. :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Hmm i have a book i should be reading too for english but it literally put me to sleep after 12 pages =="

When i decide to read it though, I'll just force myself to read a few pages before i want to go to sleep.

08er

HSC
depends on what you want to get out of the book

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
350 pages is small really.

Last edited:

08er

HSC
yeah it is, and could be easily finished in one day

along

HSC
N/A
Motivation is derived from the information/education/entertainment you wish to get out of the book at the end journey.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Nothing motivates me to reading, I just read the beginning, if it sounds good I read it, if not, then I cbf reading it, unless if its a set text for english...

Nadiaa

HSC
Yeh, there really isnt a type of motivation in reading, if it entertains you, before you know, its done.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
There was a similar thread a while back that you might like to read:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/201/reading-room/112685/why-do-you-read.html

The reply I posted there holds equally true now:

I used to read (fiction) mainly for the pleasure and escapism. In recent years my reading has been dominated by philosophy with bits of neuroscience and pop-physics thrown in for good measure. Why do I read this stuff? It's hard to say. I think I quite enjoy the challenge and stimulation (this is taken to its masochistic extreme when I read stuff on metalogic/modal logic/set theory ). I love interlocking abstract ideas and philosophy brings these by the pint. I also get a twisted kind of thrill from having my belief system challenged to the point where I have to reevaluate things. Nowadays if I pick up fiction it tends to have an absurdist or magical realist bent - it frees up my mind in a nice way.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
because i find it interesting/enjoyable.

...would have thought that obvious

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Matthew Rielly is a good Author, and hes Aussie!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)