What pen to use? and what pens you use? (1 Viewer)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I've tried correcting my grip, and failed miserably. It's ridiculously hard. And I don't think it's my teachers' fault. It was probably my own because I liked to hunch over when I'm writing, and my current grip is more suitable for people who hunch and write with their hand close to their bodies.
It's not your teacher's fault in that no one was responsible for teaching you incorrectly if no one ever taught you at all.

In yr 3/4/5 didn't you have handwriting lessons? Didn't your teacher award you with several smilies (rubber stamp) in encourgement and remarked your handwriting was good (in the NSW Foundation script) even when it was crap? If so your teachers was responsible in that they themselves didn't know how to write much less teach it correctly. But please forgive them for they know not what they do.

Last edited:

Skyzor

HSC

Personally, after looking around ALOT i have settled with this pen, suits me best.

However, i think some people stress too much over stupid shit like what pen they use (im guilty of this). End of the day nothing beats knowing your shit, so when you go into an exam you get carried away by the trance of the moment and end up writing as if you have a magical pen.

benji_10

HSC
Drongoski said:
It's not your teacher's fault in that no one was responsible for teaching you incorrectly if no one ever taught you at all.

In yr 3/4/5 didn't you have handwriting lessons? Didn't your teacher award you with several smilies (rubber stamp) in encourgement and remarked your handwriting was good (in the NSW Foundation script) even when it was crap? If so your teachers was responsible in that they themselves didn't know how to write much less teach it correctly. But God forgive them for they know not what they do.
Meh... I've had teachers in year 3 tell me to stop writing the way I was writing (thumb over index finger instead of next to it), but they didn't exactly tell me what to do instead. And I'd like to attribute my current sense of irony from the experiences I've had with teachers throughout my school life lecturing the virtues and benefits of good handwriting in tests, while the rest of the class was asking what the fuck he/she wrote on our paper. I scoff at the notion of us reading feedback. It's more of a...deciphering...kind of thing.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A

In yr 3/4/5 didn't you have handwriting lessons? Didn't your teacher award you with several smilies (rubber stamp) in encourgement and remarked your handwriting was good (in the NSW Foundation script) even when it was crap? If so your teachers was responsible in that they themselves didn't know how to write much less teach it correctly. But God forgive them for they know not what they do.

benji_10

HSC
Lol if we didn't write in a font that resembled NSW Foundation Script, we didn't get a pen license. As if I need a piece of cardboard to tell me when I can use a pen or not. And who cares what you write; it's how you write it. Grip and technique is extremely important, imo. Cursive script is relatively useless unless you want to impress chicks with your mad skills in penmanship. But then you'd end up ostracising yourself from your male friends because a guy that would willingly show off their handwriting and exclaiming how pretty it is is juuuust a bit weird. And if you're a girl showing off your writing, then bad luck, because guys just don't care.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Lol if we didn't write in a font that resembled NSW Foundation Script, we didn't get a pen license. As if I need a piece of cardboard to tell me when I can use a pen or not. And who cares what you write; it's how you write it. Grip and technique is extremely important, imo. Cursive script is relatively useless unless you want to impress chicks with your mad skills in penmanship. But then you'd end up ostracising yourself from your male friends because a guy that would willingly show off their handwriting and exclaiming how pretty it is is juuuust a bit weird. And if you're a girl showing off your writing, then bad luck, because guys just don't care.

No no no. Cursive (running) writing is the basis for faster handwriting. But if you haven't seen it done, maybe you won't know what I'm talking about.

Note

imo NSW Foundation is a shit script.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Guys, i'm buying the LAMY Safari Matt Black Fountain Pen
What nib size though? D:

I have small, messy handwriting with poorly formed letters... that's hella curly what would help with my handwriting? Should I get get Fine or Extra Fine or Left-Handed? (I'm left handed).

benji_10

HSC
Guys, i'm buying the LAMY Safari Matt Black Fountain Pen
What nib size though? D:

I have small, messy handwriting with poorly formed letters... that's hella curly what would help with my handwriting? Should I get get Fine or Extra Fine or Left-Handed? (I'm left handed).
Are you buying online or at a shop. If you're buying at a shop, they often let you test it out before buying, so you can see what floats your boat before deciding.

But, if buying over the interweb, then... theory lesson first:

LH nibs are designed to be more resistant and tough because when you're (and all other lefties) writing, you push against nib, causing the tines to be under more stress, and the cellulose fibers in paper get trapped between the tines much more easily. So if you write with a fair amount of pressure, then I'd recommend the LH nib.

But if you write with minimal pressure, then go for the fine nib instead. Extra fine is too thin and will suffer greatly from your lefty style, however light you write. And it has the added bonus of making your allegedly small handwriting a bit easier to read because the lines are thinner than the LH nib (I think).

HSC
N/A
Are you buying online or at a shop. If you're buying at a shop, they often let you test it out before buying, so you can see what floats your boat before deciding.

But, if buying over the interweb, then... theory lesson first:

LH nibs are designed to be more resistant and tough because when you're (and all other lefties) writing, you push against nib, causing the tines to be under more stress, and the cellulose fibers in paper get trapped between the tines much more easily. So if you write with a fair amount of pressure, then I'd recommend the LH nib.

But if you write with minimal pressure, then go for the fine nib instead. Extra fine is too thin and will suffer greatly from your lefty style, however light you write. And it has the added bonus of making your allegedly small handwriting a bit easier to read because the lines are thinner than the LH nib (I think).
Buying over the internet. I think i'll just get the LH. Thanks :)

anne1010

HSC

I lost my pen license in year 4 cause i wrote really messy in my hsie book. i still remember how cut i was :( couldnt get it back till my writing improved...
i cant write neat if i wanna write fast. so my writings jumbo. only way i can get through completing english.

HSC
N/A
I never got a pen license. But I was like... screw you. I'll write with whatever the hell I like, thank you very much.

Alkanes

HSC
Starting to notice how my handwriting is getting shitter and shitter day by day.. think its from all these computer tasks that school makes me do.. Havn't written 1 page for my English book for the entire year yet :p ahh amazing isn't it?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

I used to write beautiful cursive writing because that's how I started (at around age 3) and when I got to kindy in aust (I started school age 3 overseas) the teacher said I wasn't allowed to write cursive, so I had to learn to write the retarded way, and then in year 2 or 3 they were teaching us running writing, I tried to go back to my style of running (cursive), but then again I was forced to learn the stupid way, and the teacher said these very words "That style of writing won't work here, when you get to high school write however you want mate, but for now this is how you have to do it."

I blame my poor handwriting right now on stupid teachers I had to face here who knew nothing about anything and thought they were doing the right thing, stupid bitches.

With that said, I might actually try and improve my writing now since I have ample time on my hands and develop a style (or few) for the future :)

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
iRuler

Appreciate your feedback very much. I get a better idea of how right has been deemed wrong and vice versa. What I dislike about the NSW Foundation (don't know which retard recommended this) apart from the sharp angular shape is: in any handwriting you should be able to tell the different letters apart; in NSW Foundation they look so similar. Also sharp-angular (jagged) form I think slows down the flow of your writing.

Unfortunately it is hard to explain fully what I mean.

Last edited:

Portrayal

HSC
i use pen is. its a foregn brand of pen. it cums out of my pants.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
iRuler

Appreciate your feedback very much. I get a better idea of how right has been deemed wrong and vice versa. What I dislike about the NSW Foundation (don't know which retard recommended this) apart from the sharp angular shape is: in any handwriting you should be able to tell the different letters apart; in NSW Foundation they look so similar. Also sharp-angular writing I think slows down the flow of your writing.

Unfortunately it is hard to explain fully what I mean.
No worries :)

I think I know what you mean, kind of on a slant?

If so, I agree with you not much of a need for it, the system is screwed up, and they should be teaching you to write properly as soon as you start school, which is what happened overseas for me, well I learnt to write before I actually started school, but surely the education system could learn a few things from other countries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)