What should i do? (Going into maths year 11 related) (1 Viewer)

frozonu

HSC
Hey recently I did a 5.3 maths test, I'm in year 10, I just finished it and I know I did really shit because I fucked up alot of the questions because of pressure
My test mark before was 49% and I'm not too optimistic about the one coming up. I'm wondering if I should continue trying to do 5.3 maths and hopefully get enough marks for advanced maths for next year (my school requires 65% average) or just go down to 5.2 and do standard 2 maths next year
I kind of want to do something coding/software based or economics based when I go to university

windows64

HSC
Hey recently I did a 5.3 maths test, I'm in year 10, I just finished it and I know I did really shit because I fucked up alot of the questions because of pressure
My test mark before was 49% and I'm not too optimistic about the one coming up. I'm wondering if I should continue trying to do 5.3 maths and hopefully get enough marks for advanced maths for next year (my school requires 65% average) or just go down to 5.2 and do standard 2 maths next year
I kind of want to do something coding/software based or economics based when I go to university
do adv and if need be try get tutoring (adv is so much better)

windows64

HSC
my
my older brother also got 49 on his yearlies in year 10 but when he changed schools he did mx1 and mx2 and got band 6s for both of them dw ab this 5.3 test

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
It's preferable for you to have done Advanced Math (with minimum band 3-4) if you're going to go into computing or economics, as both areas will require strong quantitative problem solving and very reasonable math ability in order to achieve. In fact, having taken advanced math is highly regarded when you are going to study in any quantitative program at most universities, as it shows early dedication to quantitative studies and is a strong statistical indicator of continued academic success in quantitative fields.

Be warned that to do well in advanced math is no simple task (regardless of the boastful, and sometimes toxic, musings of many of the EX1/EX2 students on boredofstudies), you should be expecting to allocate at least 1 hour each day to study if you would like to ensure yourself of a fair mark. You should also know that while you can still get into Econ/Computing without having done Adv, a large portion of your degree classmates will have done ADV/EX1/EX2, this means it will be easier for you to fit in and keep up if you have taken Advanced.

frozonu

HSC
everyone makes me feel dumb for doing standard
Fr that's how I feel it's gonna be like, I know I can easily do well in standard (I was able to get 90%s easily before going into 5.3 at the end of term 1 this year) but I'm worried about what other people are gonna think when I say that I do standard

nsw..wollongong

HSC
Fr that's how I feel it's gonna be like, I know I can easily do well in standard (I was able to get 90%s easily before going into 5.3 at the end of term 1 this year) but I'm worried about what other people are gonna think when I say that I do standard
ppl who comment on ur subject choices are just insecure that u may be doing better than them, just have an idgaf mentality when it comes to their opinions

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
Try not to worry what other people think, standard math is a very nice and clean curriculum (despite its unfortunate lack of rigour).

It is especially well suited for folks who intend to follow non quantitative focused careers. Many students taking apprenticeships or direct employment, following the HSC, will benefit greatly from its highly functional content.

Even those who want to go on to study quantitative fields are set up to take university bridging units.

That being said, if you are genuinely interested in a more formal academic career focused on quantitative studies you should really be taking advanced (it is better to get a low mark in the advanced math course than a high mark in the standard course as the advanced content aligns more closely to standard university STEM programs and is simply of a greater level of rigour - more similar to university subjects).

HSC
N/A
Try not to worry what other people think, standard math is a very nice and clean curriculum (despite its unfortunate lack of rigour).

It is especially well suited for folks who intend to follow non quantitative focused careers. Many students taking apprenticeships or direct employment, following the HSC, will benefit greatly from its highly functional content.

Even those who want to go on to study quantitative fields are set up to take university bridging units.

That being said, if you are genuinely interested in a more formal academic career focused on quantitative studies you should really be taking advanced (it is better to get a low mark in the advanced math course than a high mark in the standard course as the advanced content aligns more closely to standard university STEM programs and is simply of a greater level of rigour - more similar to university subjects).
define quantitative career

WeiWeiMan

HSC
define quantitative career
bro necroposter

kinda late but do math advanced and math extension 1 for prelim and drop down if you need

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)