What should my 2nd job be? (1 Viewer)

illmatic1990

HSC
Hey guys, would value some input. I work at a retail store where I only get a few shifts that are like 4-5 hours long. I'm on uni break right now and I'd appreciate the extra cash so I was wondering what a good second job would be to pick up. I used to work at a grocery store as well but it got to hectic with the clashing rosters/wanting you to work when you were already working. I was thinking maybe some bar work or working in a restaurant or something?

Voldemort

HSC
If you finish at 5 you could try to get an evening or night job. the ones I can think of are working at pizza stores as a sales assistant or driver (if you have a driver license), as a waiter at a restaurant or as night fill in wollies or coles.

Cee.

HSC
Don't you get hefty taxes if you work a second job?

aussie-boy

HSC
^^^^
Tax is based on total income - doesn't matter how many jobs you have.
The tax system is structured such that there is always a good financial reason to work more (unless on YA)

---

Restaurants that are only open at night are pretty rare - and night shifts start at 5:30-6, around the same time that your shop would close?

I think bar shifts go from 9pm-between 1 and 4am, but then if you had work the next day you'd be too tired to go.

I work at a cafe/restaurant and I do know some people who work multiple jobs... you just have to find employers who will accept your specified availability. You'd have to allocate 3 days to A and 4 to B and just hope that they need workers on the days when you are available.

Peartie

HSC
Don't you get hefty taxes if you work a second job?
On you tax delcaration form you tick the box saying this is your second job

they then tax you at the full amount on PAYE simply because they do not know how much you are earning at the other job

when it then comes time for tax return you fill out total amount earnt and total tax paid

and usually it will come back with a massive amount of money in your favour

thats what happened to me the 2 years i was working 2 jobs....

Kiim2507

HSC
You could try something like Acer Arena/Telestra Dome/Sydney Football Stadium where basicaly they send you a list of events and you reply back with the ones you want to work...that way you can NA at your work or just don't work nights

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Promotional work is usually very easy to fit around a schedule, I used to do it as a second job. Agencies usually advertise on Seek when they need people (especially coming up to Christmas), otherwise Google for promotional agencies and email your resume through.

I used to do sample and leaflet handouts and spruiking in shops and some events hostessing, but some jobs (mainly the ones involving alcohol, but not always) are at clubs and festivals. Most jobs don't require previous promo experience, but retail experience helps, as does an RSA (for alcohol gigs) and the need to be vibrant and loud.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)