what subject to drop? pls help!! (1 Viewer)

Govie06

HSC
hey im about to start year 12 soon, I'm unsure about which subject to drop. I currently have 13 units but will be doing my SOR 1 unit HSC this year. So going into my hsc exams next year, I'll have 12 units but I would like to drop 1 or 2 units for workload.

My averages and ranks across each subject are below.

I get that it's a no-brainer to drop extension math, but I really like the class and advancing math teaching style there😭

1. Cafs 92% 1/64 (2 unit)
2. Legal studies 88% 10/50 (2 unit)
3. Ancient History 77% 6/18 (2 unit)
3. Advanced English 77% 15/62 (2 unit)
4. Extension English 75% 5/10 (1 unit)
5. Advanced Math 73% 25/52 (2 unit)
6. Extension Math 44% 17/25 (1 unit)
+ studies of religion (1 unit) but doing hsc for that this year

any advice appreciated!!

carrotsss

HSC
Keep in mind that while it’s obviously not amazing, a 44% in maths ext 1 is probably better than you’d think - you can’t compare exactly but in the HSC a raw mark of 44% in mx1 actually has a similar ATAR contribution to raw mark of 77% in ancient history, and so if you enjoy maths ext 1 and are willing to put in that extra effort next year imo it’ll be worth keeping. If you’re not sure yet there’s nothing wrong with keeping 12 units for a tiny bit longer (the impact will be negligible) to make 100% sure of which subject you want to drop

Rattlehead15

HSC
hey im about to start year 12 soon, I'm unsure about which subject to drop. I currently have 13 units but will be doing my SOR 1 unit HSC this year. So going into my hsc exams next year, I'll have 12 units but I would like to drop 1 or 2 units for workload.

I get that it's a no-brainer to drop extension math, but I really like the class and advancing math teaching style there😭

any advice appreciated!!
I would advise looking at your preliminary yearly exam marks rather than average marks throughout the year for assignments because the actual final exams matter a lot more in the HSC (they make up 50% of your mark).

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC

any advice appreciated!!
based on your class sizes and marks vs. ranks im assuming you go to a pretty decently ranked school

in that case I would choose between dropping cafs and ancient
normally I would say drop cafs instantly but your performance is really good, 1/64 is pretty nuts so if you think you can hold that and you really like cafs i would keep it and drop ancient.

Basically toss up between cafs and ancient, maybe try sticking through to the first assessment and dropping whichever one your worse in, or even legal (althouhg you seem to be doing very well in legal so I'd keep that)

I wouldn't recommend to drop extension maths, although it may be the smart thing to do if you get a good sor mark and are spending way too much time on mx1 in year 12 and not getting above 50% raw.

Govie06

HSC
Keep in mind that while it’s obviously not amazing, a 44% in maths ext 1 is probably better than you’d think - you can’t compare exactly but in the HSC a raw mark of 44% in mx1 actually has a similar ATAR contribution to raw mark of 77% in ancient history, and so if you enjoy maths ext 1 and are willing to put in that extra effort next year imo it’ll be worth keeping. If you’re not sure yet there’s nothing wrong with keeping 12 units for a tiny bit longer (the impact will be negligible) to make 100% sure of which subject you want to drop
great thank you!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)