What subjects are you doing for 2014? (1 Viewer)

Aliy Moon

HSC
I'm doing
- SOR
- Advanced English
- General maths
- Visual Art
- Music 1
- Drama
- Ancient History
and I want to work in T.V or Film production:guitar:

asdfghjklmz

HSC
Just wondering everyone, but is Biology and Physics a good combination/compatible?
I just wanted to learn over a broad network of subjects, to get a general understanding of all of the subjects?
What subjects would i be suggested to choose in this case?
Chemistry + physics
Or chemistry + biology
But up to you though

studded

HSC
-Studies of Religion II
-English Advanced
-Ancient History
-Biology
-Society & Culture
-Information Processes & Technology

I'm not particularly good at most of these subjects but I'd rather do these than the other courses provided. I have no atar goal. While my parents are encouraging me to go to university I have no idea what I'd like to do.

I have no study habits and procrastinate way too much, these next two years will be very interesting to say the least. :confused:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Just wondering everyone, but is Biology and Physics a good combination/compatible?
I just wanted to learn over a broad network of subjects, to get a general understanding of all of the subjects?
What subjects would i be suggested to choose in this case?
If you want a broader network don't choose another science? But if you want to do those, I would recommend phys/chem or bio/chem. idk if bio/phys will complement each other well because the content is so disparate. But if you enjoy them, go ahead!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tooyoungforthis

HSC
Hi fellow '15ers :)

I'm doing:
-Extension 1 English
-Extension 1 Mathematics
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Modern History
-SOR1
I wanted to Economics but my careers advisor said that I would be better off doing Chem, since my science marks are fairly decent, and I haven't done anything like economics before.

I want to eventually go to UNSW for Mining Engineering :)
you're like my soul sister
I'm doing the same subjects except history :D

-Ext 1 English
-Ext 1 Maths (but i'm doing my HSC next year since i'm in accelerated)
-Physics
-Chemistry
-SOR1
-Visual Arts

I wanted to do Catholic Studies since I hate religion with a passion but my RE teacher and Subject Coordinator told me explicitly:
"Honey, with your grades, no. You should be doing SOR2"
over my dead body.

It's my dream to go to USYD for Medicine, specifically Dentistry. But since that's a post grad course, I would want to get into Medical Science.
ATAR wise...a 95 would be peachy.

myinnermonkey

Time Lord Companion
HSC
Hey guys! I'm doing these subjects:

Ext 1 English
Ext 1 Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Economics

Also, I'm aiming for an ATAR of 97+ to get into Actuarial Studies as UNSW or Macquarie. :D

AbigailV1996

HSC
Hey guys! I'm doing these subjects:

Ext 1 English
Ext 1 Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Economics

Also, I'm aiming for an ATAR of 97+ to get into Actuarial Studies as UNSW or Macquarie. :D
Are we from a parallel universe? I'm doing the same and want to do actuary, except my aim is 98+

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Are we from a parallel universe? I'm doing the same and want to do actuary, except my aim is 98+

Then again we are on the BoS so that combo is common. I'm actually doing the same, im thinking of dropping to standard because I just found out how weak my school is when it comes to English.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Then again we are on the BoS so that combo is common. I'm actually doing the same, im thinking of dropping to standard because I just found out how weak my school is when it comes to English.
Don't do standard. Do Advanced. Standard is an ATAR killer.

myinnermonkey

Time Lord Companion
HSC
Yeah, that's quite true actually- the common is really common. But nah, don't drop down to standard; it aligns terribly. :)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, that's quite true actually- the common is really common. But nah, don't drop down to standard; it aligns terribly. :)
The head teacher recommended a lot of people not to pursue advance actually, she had a talk with us that for those who didn't get at least 12/15 for the coming exam should consider dropping and that she has recommended 6 people to drop (4 moving schools). For a school that's ranked ~114, we only have about 56 students in advance and about 160 students in standard (excluding students moving of course), seriously considering moving schools myself because my school is absolutely crap when it comes to English, they cant even teach the subject and expects us to get top marks. Honestly, the only thing that saves us is our science, history and maths.... maybe its because the majority of our school are Asian.

gc653

HSC
Hi these were the subjects I am considering for years 11 and 12 :) what do you think?

Mathematics 2 unit
Mathematics extension 1
English advanced
Economics
Modern history (maybe history extension in year 12)
SOR 2 unit (Catholic school)

I really like maths though I am not in accelerated (placed 3rd overall in the grade last year) will maths also help with economics for 11 and 12?? Is economics also hard? I really want to do it rather than business studies

english is my worst (got 77% overall in my report) so I'm freaking out there... I was thinking that my English won't have to count (worst subject) if I am taking more then 10 units or does 2 units have to count...cause then I'm screwed !

Also whats history extension like?? Is it a lot of work? Or should I just stick with 11 units and do modern history?

I'm hoping to get 93 in my atar so I can get bachelor of economics in UNSW and major in accounting

Please help it would really be appreciated! :)

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi these were the subjects I am considering for years 11 and 12 :) what do you think?
First of all, calm down-you can do well with any combination of subjects if you put in the hard work in consistently. Whether economics, or indeed any subject is hard, is rather down to subjective opinion, if you put enough time in it, then you will come to understand and enjoy it as well as excel in it. 2 units of English is compulsory in the calculation of your ATAR, however, you've got two years to improve on your English. From my friends who have done History extension, it is a lot of work-after all, you have to do a major work, you will probably know whether you will do want to do extension after another year of studying history-don't worry about it too much.

Have a look at my guide http://community.boredofstudies.org...el-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a-317056.html (it basically covers all my study tips for acing senior year studies and also quite a lot of tips on how you can do well in English Advanced and Maths subjects:)). Hope this helps-any questions-feel free to PM me:)

ivorybranches

HSC
I was thinking that my English won't have to count (worst subject) if I am taking more then 10 units or does 2 units have to count...cause then I'm screwed !

Also whats history extension like?? Is it a lot of work? Or should I just stick with 11 units and do modern history?
Your best two units of english have to count, sorry buddy. History extension seems really interesting and if you're interested in it it won't be 'hard' as per say. I think the difficulty level of a subject depends heavily on whether you enjoy it and are willing to put in the extra work. You don't do history ext. until next year so ask yourself if you still want to do it at the end of the year. I think strawberrye covered the rest and Do check out her thread it's very helpful!

Economics is essentially a 'harder' business studies, but you do different topics. I dropped business studies because I was doing economics and would have rather done Modern History instead of another 'business-y' subject.

Just work hard and do your best :)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I noticed you got to do 14u for your prelims ivory, im so jealous.... My school only allowed 12u max and if we wanted another 2 units, we had to put together a class min. 15 people :(

ivorybranches

HSC
I noticed you got to do 14u for your prelims ivory, im so jealous.... My school only allowed 12u max and if we wanted another 2 units, we had to put together a class min. 15 people :(
My career adviser went 'oh you've got a full set there don't you?' so I think my school sort of discouraged it? That's too bad your school didn't let you, although I was thinking of dropping legal studies if I didn't get a good teacher or if maths was too much for me.

Yes, I hate class restrictions, economics got cut, but we complained and then the teacher decided to put it back on :D

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
See sig :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk:

Preliminary HSC '14- Subjects: 2U Maths, Adv. English, Business Studies, Legal Studies,
Economics, Agriculture.

HSC '15- ATAR Goal: 90+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)