What the hell? (chem help) (1 Viewer)

pandaaMONIA

HSC
I have looked around everywhere, read in the textbooks. everything.
Can someone PLEASE explain to me what an ionic structure is?
Is it just many Ionic bonds that form this structure? or?
...I really need Chemistry tutoring.

Also, wth is Covalent molecular/network structures?

Thanks heaps.

Last edited:

pillar

HSC
Uhh I can't say for sure as I haven't been taught this in class but I think it's just the physical structure of the ionic compound. Like in sodium chloride the structure is made up of positively charged sodium ions bonded to negatively charged chlorine ions, on an endless repetition throughout the crystal without having separate molecules.

Not sure if that's right, just taking a guess from what I've learnt so far.. but if someone else could explain it that would be sweet because now I'm interested lol

pandaaMONIA

HSC
Uhh I can't say for sure as I haven't been taught this in class but I think it's just the physical structure of the ionic compound. Like in sodium chloride the structure is made up of positively charged sodium ions bonded to negatively charged chlorine ions, on an endless repetition throughout the crystal without having separate molecules.

Not sure if that's right, just taking a guess from what I've learnt so far.. but if someone else could explain it that would be sweet because now I'm interested lol
roflmao yeah me too.
Seriously, we just got an assessment task on the first two modules of work. like what the hell?

h3ll h0und

HSC
i think the ionic structure is just a lattice of alternating anions (negatively charged ions) and cations( postively charged ions) held together by ionic bonds . Because of these strong intramolecular forces they have higher melting and boiling points (because they require more energy to break the ionic bonds between the ions). an example is sodium chloride (NaCl) . next to every Na+ is a Cl- and this creates a lattice of alternating Na+ and Cl- (looks like a cube). Since there are thousands of these ions you just write the ratio of ions. i.e for every Na+ there is one Cl- so its just NaCl

studentcheese

HSC
The ionic structure of an element is about the valency of electrons on its outer shell. Ions are elements with a positive or negative charge.
Elements of the following groups have the following valencies:

Group 1: +1
Group 2: +2
Group 3: + 3
Group 4: plus or minus 4
GRoup 5: -3
GRoup 6: -2
GRoup 7: -1
Group 8: 0 (stable/inert)

Cations: possitively charged ions
Anions: negatively charged ions

When you are trying to work our the chemical formula for a compound, you write the valency of each element on top of them, and then cross multiply.

Potassium, for example, has one more electron on its outer shell, so it is highly reactive because it wants to lose this electron to gain full configuration. When it loses this one electron, potassium becomes a potassium ion which would be positive because it loses one electron, so that it now has more protons than electrons. It forms a cation.

studentcheese

HSC
Covalent bonds (I think) occurs when elements share electrons, whearas ionic is where they give electrons away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)