• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What to DO at ANU? (1 Viewer)

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
There are some required courses in commerce which requires some understanding of maths, although nothing major.

You'd have to do one statistics course which isn't too hard, there's not much assumed knowledge in it. The later year statistics courses feature more advanced mathematics, but you don't have to do them unless it is a major requirement

There will also be a finance course, which would only require some basic algebra, but the emphasis is more on remembering formulae.

Some higher level economics courses have some higher level maths (econometrics for example)

As for accounting, there are no complex maths involved.

Beyond some mandatory first year courses, which feature easy maths anyway, you can complete a commerce degree without much maths.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
you can get by doing finance/commerce/accounting/marketing with math methods i reckon. not even that, maths applications (if they still have it... it's one level below methods) could get you by.

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
If you can't decide between these, why wouldn't you just do law? (I don't know anything about it, it just seems if you're so set on law but not on the others, why bother doing a degree in them, just do some electives)

rlmck

HSC
hi i also want to go to ANU
iam sitting my HSC this year. Iam thinking of doing a double degree at ANU .
I study :
Chem, Bio , mathemaics 2unit, Adv english, Geography and Physics
iam thinking of doing bachelor of Law/ Medical Science]
A science major is always handy

Last edited:

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Why wouldn't you choose something that runs along with your subjects like 'biology/environmental science' or 'geophysics', environmental chemistry, bio/geology etc etc.

law/med seems like a parental influence / social status thing.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
rlmck said:
hi i also want to go to ANU
iam sitting my HSC this year. Iam thinking of doing a double degree at ANU .
I study :
Chem, Bio , mathemaics 2unit, Adv english, Geography and Physics
iam thinking of doing bachelor of Law/ Medical Science]
A science major is always handy
Yeah, I'm sure they'd be thrilled you know how to treat lab specimens properly when your client is charged with theft.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Sammy-Blue said:
Yeah, I'm sure they'd be thrilled you know how to treat lab specimens properly when your client is charged with theft.
lame

SuperRen

HSC
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that you can do a combined law and medical science degree at ANU but you can definitely do science and law.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
the medicine has to be post graduate. (but i think you can do undergraduate med science?>) someone who knows more please correct me if im wrong.

sparkerasp

HSC
Davo1111 said:
the medicine has to be post graduate. (but i think you can do undergraduate med science?>) someone who knows more please correct me if im wrong.
Correct. I asked the Medicine faculties a number of other things including Med science to Medicine (obviously not a prerequisite) and Medicine is postgraduate. I think they accept around 80 applicants per year (clarification on Faculty site).

There are exemptions however. If you get a UAI over 98 or something, you can apply for provisional admission (I think it means you have a guaranteed place in medicine AFTER you finish your first degree.

Last edited:

ecokid101

HSC
im leaning towards science/law

actually yea its probably going to be science/law... I just want to ask about contact hours, is it crazy contact hours in science/law and a lot more then commerce/law as someone suggested earlier?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
contact hours won't mean much if you're keen on your subject.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
ecokid101 said:
im leaning towards science/law

actually yea its probably going to be science/law... I just want to ask about contact hours, is it crazy contact hours in science/law and a lot more then commerce/law as someone suggested earlier?
Yes, science courses (generally) have more contact hours than commerce. Although the extra time is spent doing lab work as far as I can tell. Whether or not that is a negative is up to you. I find I can go over lecture material in about 1/3 the time it takes in a lecture if I sit down and do it myself, so if you're a good independant learner you can miss a lecture here and there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)