What to do in year 10 to prepare for years 11/12? (1 Viewer)

Should someone in year 10 start preparing for HSC?

• yes

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • no

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • depends on the person/their goals

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

sss77s

HSC
Currently a year 10 student looking to prepare myself for years 11/12... should I start looking at HSC books now or wait until the time comes? I've heard some in accelerated programs are already doing 3U maths in year 10.......

Also, what are some study tips??
Any tips are appreciated from those who are year 10 and above!

ml125

HSC
Honestly, it all depends on how well you want to do and what exactly you want to do. At this point in time I possibly could have been one of those accelerated kids you're talking about now but nah completely different case here ;u; I should be in year 10 now but oh well doing my hsc this year >o<

Right now you should be looking at your results and seeing what you do best in and what you enjoy the most in deciding your subjects. I suggest for you to wait it out but that depends on whether you know if you'll need to put that much effort in to get the marks you want in year 12.There's no real rush for you to start right now but if you do decide to do so, then do that for subjects you KNOW you'll definitely take next year. No point in you wasting time on something you won't need, right? >u<

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Currently a year 10 student looking to prepare myself for years 11/12... should I start looking at HSC books now or wait until the time comes? I've heard some in accelerated programs are already doing 3U maths in year 10.......

Also, what are some study tips??
Any tips are appreciated from those who are year 10 and above!
I think that coz their schools offer accelerated mathematics. Also there are tuition centres which are doing 3U in year 10, a good way to prepare yourself for year 11/12. If you really want to accelerate so then you can prepare yourself for year 11 and 12 then go to tutoring a year ahead of everyone else so then by the time it comes to the HSC, you have more time to focus on your work and have a less workload.

Also focus on year 10 work so then you can guarantee yourself a spot in your preferred year 11/12 subjects

Here's a thread on Studying smarter which should help you: http://community.boredofstudies.org/1137/general-discussion-2016-hsc/347870/studying-smarter.html

yeomnhawk

HSC
Honestly some good tips I can give you which I wish I had done when I was in year 10 would be.
- Sort out the subjects that you want as soon as possible, so you can get a head start and aim towards getting into these subjects.
-Looking back now, something I wish I did when picking subjects is to pick subjects that are similar. For example if you do modern, ancient and history extension, they are all quite similar and require very similar skills. Or another example would be to do economics and business studies, as the content in each subject is actually very transferrable. Ultimately this comes down to personal preference, but in reality it makes things easier.
- When I mean get a head start, I mean begin to memorise the syllabus for topics you want and create notes. If you get a large head start on notes now, it will help you SOOOO much when you reach year 11.
-Very important thing to do would be to learn how to write quality essays. Most kids in my school including me rocked up in year 11 and even 12 still not knowing how to write a strong essay for things such as english, modern etc. You should have a look at past band 6 papers on the subjects you want to get an idea of what it takes to create a good essay in year 12.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
imo the only preparation you need is to develop proper study habits i.e. DON'T DO ASSIGNMENTS THE DAY BEFORE THEY'RE DUE

Missmapletreez

HSC
Yeah I do accelerated math righ now in year 10 but I means you have to do the HSC in year11 but the workload isn't too bad

Also Does anyone know if you have to do commerce to do legal and economics??????

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I do accelerated math righ now in year 10 but I means you have to do the HSC in year11 but the workload isn't too bad

Also Does anyone know if you have to do commerce to do legal and economics??????
No you don't need to do commerce to do legal or economics at most schools.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

I recommend you get a tutor for accelerated maths. Just my opinion but you don't have to

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
I recommend you get a tutor for accelerated maths. Just my opinion but you don't have to
If he isn't struggling, I don't see the point of a tutor for accelerated maths. My advice is to try and teach yourself as much of the syllabus as you can by yourself, so you're ahead and don't have to do extra work later.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
If he isn't struggling, I don't see the point of a tutor for accelerated maths. My advice is to try and teach yourself as much of the syllabus as you can by yourself, so you're ahead and don't have to do extra work later.
So you learn ahead of others

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
So you learn ahead of others
For maths, yeah. It took me 2 weeks of holidays to learn ~3/4 of the 2U syllabus. 2U really isn't content heavy, so it's not very difficult to do. 3U and 4U I get ahead when I have spare time, especially with the more self explanatory topics (anything trig, integration, graphing, etc.)

sss77s

HSC
- When I mean get a head start, I mean begin to memorise the syllabus for topics you want and create notes. If you get a large head start on notes now, it will help you SOOOO much when you reach year 11.
:O bit scared to go into the subjects I'm wanting to do....
is it even possible to self learn 3U maths, phys and chem?

sss77s

HSC
:O bit scared to go into the subjects I'm wanting to do next yr by myself....

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
:O bit scared to go into the subjects I'm wanting to do....
Yeah just watch youtube videos and do extensive outside the syllabus research (You can't self learn practicals for physics and chemistry because the teachers/HSC markers will know whether or not it was a rote learn practical

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
For maths, get a good set of notes, preferably one form a well renowned tutoring centre (e.g. Dr Du, Ngo and Sons) read them and then do questions from there

sss77s

HSC
Yeah just watch youtube videos and do extensive outside the syllabus research (You can't self learn practicals for physics and chemistry because the teachers/HSC markers will know whether or not it was a rote learn practical

AHH! oh how i hate pracs, they're the one type of tests that mess up my marks. Every time...
anyone have any tips on how to ace pracs? would be appreciated :)

ml125

HSC
AHH! oh how i hate pracs, they're the one type of tests that mess up my marks. Every time...
anyone have any tips on how to ace pracs? would be appreciated :)
With in-class pracs just pay attention and take notes in the lessons leading up to the prac where your teacher might emphasise some of the important parts and good points to take into consideration/put in your discussion. Make sure you write up your pracs straight after you do them if not while you're doing them.

With prac exams just read over the prac write-ups you already have if you know you have already done them in class. If they are from a dot point you have not already covered, watch videos online and explanations you can find on that prac. Go over content which might relate to it so you can write up an effective discussion. :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)