What to take? (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
from experience, dont even bother trying to make friends in lectures - wait for ur tutorials, cos ur basically forced to meet ppl/make friends anyway

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by MinAi
from experience, dont even bother trying to make friends in lectures - wait for ur tutorials, cos ur basically forced to meet ppl/make friends anyway
Why not? So you just walk in, sit down, and thats it??? how boring :rolleyes:

Like i said before...no life long friends, but I have been bumping into ppl around the place that I've sat next to previously - just makes uni life more interesting if u "know" people :p Plus - it means you have people to talk to as you wait outside to go in, and finding seats etc could be less "daunting"... :p Make an effort :D

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by timmii

Why not? So you just walk in, sit down, and thats it??? how boring :rolleyes:
I end up doing that in accounting lectures, I think it's the design of the Central Lecture Block that makes people unfriendly :p. The black hammock seats, the grubby walls..:D. Oh, and the scrum at the door to actually get in. In the three accounting lectures so far, people sitting next to me have been nice once and distant the other two. Hopefully it's just the small sample size, or the extreme boredom induced by accounting :p.

People in microeconomics seem much more friendly...again Mathews is a nicer building :p

FunkyFlava

Psycho@UNSW
HSC
CLB has horrible theatres, but bearable.

which microeconomics lectures do u go to kini mini? diane's or truongs? i go to diane's ... she's strict but funny.

Pretz

The nicest theatre I've seen so far has been the Stephen Roberts theatre. The chairs are so comfy. The desks in that place are impossible for leftys though. You'd think somebody somewhere through the design process would have noticed that.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by FunkyFlava

which microeconomics lectures do u go to kini mini? diane's or truongs? i go to diane's ... she's strict but funny.
I go to Diane's too, they are funny :p. The anecdote about Brad/Chris was good, the Lucy one today wasn't so good but her mistakes are strangely endearing :p. I don't mind the strictness too much, it keeps the lecture flowing fairly smoothly :).

The Mathews B theatre isn't too good for lefties either, I always have to reserve a seat for my lefty friend on the left side of the right aisle so he can actually write.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Every single one of my lectures is in merewether lecture room 1. Although there is a problem with the heating in there, I like the theatre as there is a fairly spacious desk/bench provided which is easy to write on, rather than those twisting armtables. Plus it holds a not-too-intimidating number of ppl :p

Most of my tuts are in merewether as well, with one in eastern avenue and 1 at teacher's college...someone was very kind to me timetable-wise :D

Tomorrow I'm testing the "security bus" as I only finish at 6...Yay redfern! :rolleyes:

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by kini mini

Oh, and the scrum at the door to actually get in. In the three accounting lectures so far, people sitting next to me have been nice once and distant the other two. Hopefully it's just the small sample size, or the extreme boredom induced by accounting :p.
Maybe you're scaring them kini? hmmmm? :p :D Offer them lollies or something :rolleyes:

"small sample size"...hmm how's stats going? :p

Pretz

I thought you were an advocate of redfern's safety though sym. Changed your mind? Do you think maybe it would be a place to travel in my quest to be rolled at least once before I die?

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by Pretz
I thought you were an advocate of redfern's safety
I still am an advocate, just a less enthusiastic one. I got harassed on thursday and its getting dark earlier...:eek:

Pretz

I got harassed on thursday
By whom? What happened?

and its getting dark earlier
All the better for me to get rolled in. I think maybe I will travel home that way one of these days. By myself. Oh, and I'll wear a suit (they'd be more likely to attack a guy in a suit right?). And I'll make sure that I just happen to be counting a large wad of notes while I'm walking down the most poorly lit parts of my trip.

Fi

My first day today

(n) I really enjoyed the lectures, however i must say i felt sorry for people in "world politics" who were forced to sit on the ground because there wasn't enough seat.

I made many acquaintances, but no one Ill probably be life long friends with....i think it's impossible. Anyway Ive got my first essay due in 2 and 1/2 weeks and i haven't even bought my textbooks.
:D :D oh no i mean:eek: :eek:

emz

Originally posted by zannaz
emz, today's lecture was huge, so much people aye!!!

Some people do seem snobbish, but i tend to just chat to anyone anywhere like lining up at the copy centre or waiting to go into a lecture theatre.. .

you can come sit with me:D if you feel lonely!!! I'm friendly enough!!!
wot stream r u? i'll c if we're in any classess together..
well i've changed my timetabe and for ECMT, i've got the 8'o clock classess mon, tues and wed...in merewhther lecture theatre 2 instead of the eastern ave lectures...
for econ, im in stream 1, marketing im stream 1 and acct im stream 1

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
Originally posted by FunkyFlava

when are diane or truong's lectures? I have Atta and I don't get the way he explains things... usually end up falling asleep... :(

I'm in stream 4 for economtrics and stream 4 for microeconomics

Elspeth

I have one thing to say regarding metrics:

How cool is Tig???

His email addy is pretty funny too- tigi@econ.etc

As for making friends, despite meeting a hell of a lot of ppl in lectures, tutes, etc, it's actually quite hard. I mean, you come into the lectures, sit down, chat for a while to the person next to you, then say goodbye and never see them again due to the sheer number of ppl in the theatre. I have a lot friends from school in the E & B faculty, but I'd like to make *new* friends.... and although the people I meet in lectures are very friendly and nice, it's not like I could really hang out with them in breaks and stuff, you know what I mean?

The ppl in tutorials are nice... but again, not people I'd spend lunch with. I just don't know them well enough. And I get the impression that they/me have other things to do/places to go anyway.... so it's hard!

Is anyone else feeling this way or am I some sort of nigel-loser? lol (Notice the year 7 insecurities resurfacing :rolleyes: )

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Elspeth
although the people I meet in lectures are very friendly and nice, it's not like I could really hang out with them in breaks and stuff, you know what I mean?

What do you mean by that...as in "they're nice, but I don't know them enough to feel comfortable enough to go sit when them during a break" OR "They're nice, but not the type of person I'd normally hang out with" ?

If it's the first...meh, what do you have to lose? Everyone is a stranger at first, and of course it will always feel a bit awkward during the "getting to know you" stage, so if you want to get out there and meet people theres no point in waiting around. And everyone else is probably still in "meeting people mode", so I don't think anyone would mind at all if you went and hung out with them. And hey-if it gets too uncomfortable, you can always find an excuse to get up and leave! ;)

If you mean the latter...then I guess theres not much you can do there, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. The people I've become friends with at UNI are nothing like my high school friends, but even though our personalities don't really click all that well they are still great people and I still like spending time with them all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)