What type of civil engineering?? (1 Viewer)

Skittles1991

HSC
Ive been looking into civil/architecture combined degrees but the uai's are really high and idont know if a can get them. What other types of degrees would be similar??

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
1. What did you want to combine with and why?
2. What UAI do you forsee yourself getting? Engineering courses are notorious for being some of the most difficult at university, so if you're stuggling at school maybe engineering's not for you.
3. Straight BE (Civil) should be in the 80s at UNSW/USyd/UTS afaik.

HSC
i wouldn't advice doing a combined degree with any engineering.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
People who say that combined degrees are harder have no idea what they're on about.

Miner

HSC
Ive been looking into civil/architecture combined degrees but the uai's are really high and idont know if a can get them. What other types of degrees would be similar??
in industry these two professions are seperate and never mash together
Really?

Adelaide University offers a course Bachelor of Engineering in Architectural Engineering B.E(ArEng). The base is civil engineering with added design subjects filling the remainder of the course requirements.
Bachelor of Engineering in Architectural Engineering | Programs and Courses

This course is a relatively new course funded because of industry demand.

HSC
What Musk says is pretty much correct. Once you begin your civil engineering degree you will pick up on this fact within a year.

Miner

HSC
What Musk says is pretty much correct. Once you begin your civil engineering degree you will pick up on this fact within a year.

And once you begin an architecture degree you will see just how many civil engineering subjects are necessary. Just because civil engs don't necessarily do much architectural design, doesn't mean that architects don't have to au fait with civil and structural engineering.

I'd be interested to hear why both you and Musk believe that civil eng and architecture "never mash together". When my best friend studied architecture more than 50% of his subjects were civil engineering ones. My brother is a senior civil/structural engineer and he does a lot of architectural work.

Last edited:

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
When my best friend studied architecture more than 50% of his subjects were civil engineering ones.
What a load of bs! I am currently studying civil engineering at UTS and my cousin graduated from Architecture at UTS, he did nothing compared to my work. I just took a look at the UTS handbook, no subjects clash....the only thing remotely similar is the basic study of construction and structural design, which is imbedded in a computer modelling subject (only two subs).

50% of civil subs for architecture, if that was true..my lebo cuz would have quit uni, two weeks into his 1st semester.

kthanksbye (BBJ :D)

HSC
lol 50% epic LOLZ. (see wrxsti post)

anyways, your brother most likely did engineering design. ie designing frames and beams. Not Architectural design.

Miner

HSC
What a load of bs! I am currently studying civil engineering at UTS and my cousin graduated from Architecture at UTS, he did nothing compared to my work. I just took a look at the UTS handbook, no subjects clash....the only thing remotely similar is the basic study of construction and structural design, which is imbedded in a computer modelling subject (only two subs).

50% of civil subs for architecture, if that was true..my lebo cuz would have quit uni, two weeks into his 1st semester.

kthanksbye (BBJ :D)

Maybe that is the way it is done at UTS but it isn't the way it was done at a his uni. He did the same maths, the same statics, the same strength of materials, same structural design, same geology, same modelling and analysis etc. You only need to look at the subject requirements of the course I linked to and you'll see just how many of the subjects are civil eng subjects.

Seems like the two of you (well three now) seem to believe that architecture is all artsy fartsy design without having to account for the surface being built on, the integrity of the stucture etc. You unis may well focus on the road, rail and water end of the spectrum, but there is a LOT more to civil engineering than that as I'm sure you are aware.

Personally I know what my brother does, and I know what my best mate does, so I get where the OP is coming from. Rather than pretending that the two don't go together because in your UTS world maybe they don't, all I did was offer an alternative suggestion to her that appears to at least go part way into meeting her needs.

Using the word never as in "these two professions are seperate and never mash together" will often trip the user up. Clearly these two professions sit together within the same industry i.e. the built environ, so there will be a crossover area which it seems likely is the specific area the OP wants to end up. If the entry is too high for her in NSW then she may need to look at interstate unis where she can use a civil eng degree as a pathway into post grad architecture.

Last edited:

Miner

HSC
and the degree hasn't even got its 3rd yr subjects approved

lol
That's because it is only in it's second year this year. All new engineering degrees (ie these that haven't yet had any graduates) are subject to continuing consultation with EA and industry groups, and final approval doesn't happen until there actually are graduates. They are very heavily scrutinised during this time though to ensure they will be approved.

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
do it, it's >50% female enrolments as opposed to straight civil with liek 10%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)