• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What would you like to see on BOS 2005? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
jhakka said:
If we do that, the rest of the forums will go down the crapper. Keep NS, but I would consider deleting or archiving all the threads in there.
iambored said:
When I said nuke NS, I meant clear out old threads, not ditch the forum all together ...

_Bushra_

wtf?!
Hoping to befriend somebody nice at club MQ *freak
HSC
separate section for all the prelim notes would be great...also a more detailed description in the caption thingo describing them

umm you know how there is a greenlight indicating whether a user is online or not? we should have other blue and red lights refering to gender...thats would solve all my problems

before registering a user, make it cumpolsary for them to submit a resource. this will greatly boost that area of the site

J

jhakka

_Bushra_ said:
before registering a user, make it cumpolsary for them to submit a resource. this will greatly boost that area of the site
How many blank documents would be submitted as a result, though?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I suggest that this site/organisation look into running some real-life seminars for HSC students in various areas of study.

At the Sydney Eclectic Composers Society (www.secsmusic.org), I'm working to introduce HSC seminars for HSC Music students, to be run by University Music students. This sort of thing = good, especially if students from other areas could run seminars and tutoring.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Phanatical said:
I suggest that this site/organisation look into running some real-life seminars for HSC students in various areas of study.
These already happen in some subjects.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Well, perhaps we could extend this to Music. I'm in charge of the Education program for the Sydney Eclectic Composers Society, and we want to do the whole HSC seminars thing - but if there's an established framework we could work within (and receive the whole economic support and such as well), then I believe that everybody involved would benefit.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
OK, but if you run seminars you have to look at covering more than one area of the course. For example, with Maths, my understanding was that the seminar which was run covered several areas of Maths (the 2U, 3U and 4U components)

The moderators are also looking into running English seminars next year. Music ones would be good, but it would be advisable to look at expanding into Performance and Musicology workshops as well as Composition.

Another thing you might want to look at in terms of HSC Music seminars is getting together with the Cons Access centre as they run seminars already but lack a bit in the composition area....

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Another thought while I'm at it. Almost every seminar I attended this year was basically the syllabus in a powerpoint presentation bar 2 (I attended about 7 or so maybe more).

If Bored of Studies combines the current seminar system they have in addition to compiling seminars with the aid of 04er's (to pin point what REALLY needs to be done in a seminar, not just going over the syllabus) then we could really be on to something, providing super duper seminars.... (man that sounds wanky) but you get what I mean?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Where are these seminars held, and how do you guys pay for the venues? Also, what sort of admission costs are involved, and what sort of renumeration is offered for tutors?

We've written to the Access Centre, but they haven't given us much attention, as we're just a student organisation.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
If Access hasn't gotten back to you, go in and have a chat to them yourselves. If you don't have any luck, let me know (via PM or my e-mail is in my profile) and I'll see what I can do - I know a few people personally and may be able to pull a few strings.

With regards to your questions about the costs and venues, I'll leave that to one of the other senior members to reply, as I never attended the Maths seminar (as I don't do Maths)

I can give you some figures for other seminars I have attended though. The edassist lectures at Sydney (English = useful. History = bloody hopeless) were $30 each for a 2 hour lecture. The Con ones were $100 for 2 days.

The problem with many of these seminars is that, as there is no prior knowledge of what the candiature actually requires help with, the seminars are too broad spectrum therefore not providing the correct amount of depth. Question times are often cut as well, which is pointless, as much of the benefit of a seminar would be to discuss things with students studying the same course material as you.

Perhaps the Bored can have a sort of Advance Poll for people who are going to be attending the seminars, with specific areas which people can nominate as problem areas (forum password locked for only those who have applied and paid for seminar???) so that the Tutors can then prepare seminars with that in mind.

Example. 100 people apply for Seminar on Advanced English - Module B Critical Study of Texts - King Lear. 80 of these people would like to specifically talk about how to create ones own interpretation of King Lear. Ie. how it can be applied to their context, how previous people have devised readings, how to alter other readings to suit your own.

So instead of running a seminar talking about Themes and Techniques as demonstrated in Freudian and Marxist readings, the tutor will know that they have to create a seminar about personal readings and how to apply ones own context and what sort of things to consider. etc. etc.

Perhaps thats too specific... but its an idea.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Access are constantly too busy dealing with their own problems to talk to us, despite us reminding them. I think it's easier for us to run seminars independent of the Access Centre, at least for now.

Where are the Bored seminars usually run?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ujuphleg said:
Another thought while I'm at it. Almost every seminar I attended this year was basically the syllabus in a powerpoint presentation bar 2 (I attended about 7 or so maybe more).

If Bored of Studies combines the current seminar system they have in addition to compiling seminars with the aid of 04er's (to pin point what REALLY needs to be done in a seminar, not just going over the syllabus) then we could really be on to something, providing super duper seminars.... (man that sounds wanky) but you get what I mean?
yeah iknow what you mean, i mean if they are fantastic then word of mouth travels and they'll sell themselves, they need to be different and excellent though

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
tywebb said:
there's a forum for teachers, but it isn't "public". consequently not many teachers use it. my suggestion to the admins is to make the teacher forum public. there's a lot more teachers who use boredofstudies than those who have been granted "teacher status" and thereby gain access to the teacher forum.

in the meantime, i've set up a thread for teachers:

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=51637

but a forum would be better.
<-disagrees with the above as it would be spammed by non-teachers (have a look at the un-moderated forums and your thread-second & sixth posts-as an example)

lurkers who are teachers should be encouraged to notify one of the admins so they can get teacher status IMO

Last edited:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I think if you're a teacher (with the valid qualifications obviously) you could always ask one of the admins who will just make sure you ARE a teacher and give you teacher status.

Ask snappy.. teachers have no additional rights in the real world or on the bos forum :p *runs from snappy*

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I didn't ask for your qualifications, I'm not an admin nor do I care :) Personally I think anybody who can offer assistance on this forum is a valuable asset regardless of their current occupation.

What would you like to see the teacher forum used as/for?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
To gain access you should request it from the admins, as I've said before. It's solely for teachers just as the admin forum is solely for moderators and admin.

Teachers merely need to send a PM to an admin (or contact them via email, msn, icq, or many other channels) to indicate that they wish to be recognised on the forum as a teacher. It's not a hard ask and it does prevent people who aren't teachers from masquerading as a teacher. We don't want people on this forum claiming to know 'because they're a teacher' without having the valid qualifications.

Regardless, you haven't answered my question of what you believe the teacher forum should be used for. What kind of discussions do you envisage in the forum should it be made public?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
In that case, what is the point of letting students/non teachers post in that forum?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
anti said:
In that case, what is the point of letting students/non teachers post in that forum?
lol this still hasn't been answered in all those posts! i can't see a reason either, would it benefit non teachers? would it benefit students?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)