What would you like to see on BOS? (3 Viewers)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Re: What would you like to see on BOS 2007?

-"HSC Graduation year" should have a smaller year range. It annoys me that heaps of people put either 1998 or 2010 just for the fun of it. Instead, why not have pre-2000 and post-2009 instead.

-As for the tutoring forum, as soon as someone makes a new thread, it has to be automatically locked so that no one can bump it. Though they can edit.

-Diverse range of theme colours or layouts that we can choose from User CP

-Give a friendly invite. back for those who haven't been here for over 2 years. There are lots of them from the good old days.

-More "accurate" time/date of posts, please.

Tennille said:
Also, subjects learnt at one uni may be completely different to another uni.
That sucks. I thought that something like Econ1001 was the same for everyone regardless of uni.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Musk said:
i thought of a good idea getting teachers on the forum for the hsc part of it to answer questions for like one hr a week or something, like something small. it would bring popularity and respect to both teachers and students particularly with topics that arnt easy to understand(4u maths, physics, chem and other hard subjects)
The problem with this is that we don't want to inundate teachers during unpaid hours when they're already busy enough. I think the current system whereby they pick when they want to interject or add to the discussion is probably better for them.

J

jhakka

Sparcod said:
-As for the tutoring forum, as soon as someone makes a new thread, it has to be automatically locked so that no one can bump it. Though they can edit.
A system where one can post a thread but where replies are disabled would probably work better.

dion7789 said:
I defintely think more emphasis on uni notes/forums like there are for hsc/vce. Would be very useful for us new uni students who have been helped by BoS over years
PLAGIARISM ISSUES. Is anyone else aware of the fact that the unis have software to check for plagiarism? Do you realise that using non-acknowledged sources is plagiarism and carries heavy penalties? To have a uni notes section would give BOS a reputation of encouraging plagiarism - a reputation that we already do have in some areas. We have been referred in the past (by schools and in the media) as a cheat site or a "bogus Board of Studies" website. We don't want to encourage this reputation by entering an area where plagiarism is a massive, massive issue.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A

I'd like to see the quick quote function enabled. :)

And on the uni notes thing, it just seems way easier to have discussion threads in the forums ... as notes just seem kinda pointless since we can't really submit summaries, assignments or past exams to the bos notes server, so what would even end up in there?

tennille

HSC

Do you mean have the quote function enabled when you "quick reply", because there is an option that allows you to quote?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A

Tennille said:
Do you mean have the quote function enabled when you "quick reply", because there is an option that allows you to quote?
In some other forums they a little box at the bottom right of each post, and you can click them so that you can accumulate several quotes into your reply without having to go back and copy paste them all into your post. For example, I could 'quick quote' your post and the three above it, and then when I hit 'Post Reply' they would all be quoted.

I know this would be massively useful in NCAP where things can get a bit convoluted, as well as some of the faster threads in NS where there are several conversations going on at once.

J

jhakka

Ah, Quick Quote was a great feature. But might be a bit difficult to implement with the "click before 'Quick Reply'" thing we have going.

sladehk

le random
HSC

if plaigarism is an issue. perhaps a wiki approach to uni subjects can be introduced. i dunno if its too much of an undertaking but a WikiUni thing would be revolutional (if that's a word =P ) where students can add/change stuff, mods/admins can lock stuff and there are bots running to stop stupid ppl messing about with it

J

jhakka

We used to have a "Users viewing this forum" but it was scrapped by the administrators because loading times were really bad.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC

jhakka said:
A system where one can post a thread but where replies are disabled would probably work better.
Yeah. Same with the buy/sell forums.

You can change the profile layout. You don't need compulsory parts like interests and stuff, do you? I didn't even like the "new" layout since day one.
Nuff said.

J

jhakka

Lucid Scintilla said:
Moderators can do that with locked threads, and they can post in 'em; normals cannot at all.
Only if they have mod powers in the forum where the locked thread is.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC

It has been said before and I will say it again. A place to post Uni notes as alot of people go to uni but still visit the site.

M

mandyj85

i would like to see a list of schools in different fields without spam

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A

I'm not sure how feasible it would be to put in place but would it be possible to make the profile entries for 'Academic Programme' and 'Educational Institution' a tad more structured (similar to what Facebook uses)?

For example, the student inputs their uni/college from a list and then chooses level of study (SC, HSC/VCE, Certificate, Diploma, Bachelor etc.), subjects(secondary) or major (tertiary). I suggest this because if one were to search using the option in our profiles we often would not produce very satisfactory results (people putting things in just a little bit differently throws the search out) and because rollcalls do seem a somewhat popular theme around here in alot of the forums.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC

How about a Careers forum. At least this forum will be more popular than the food+drink forum.
I see that a lot of the questions asked on both the uni and the hsc forums revolve around careers questions such as degrees required and subjects needed to be in a certain job and questions about pay etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)